The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToLiveInADream
Guys, should I do the rest of the Solomon papers I haven't done or do the R/IAL c2 papers? Which is harder?

Do the R/IAL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw15st3d
if we have a CAST question in radians, is it alright to give answers as decimals instead of in terms of pi? i know it isn't necessarily as accurate but do you still get the marks?

It's fine to do it in decimals, often the answer won't be able to be written easily in terms of pi. If the answer is a precise part of pi though, then write it in terms of pi :yes:
Original post by FluffyCherry
These are the shapes that we should know.

Thank you, however I can't open that post for some reason... can you email it to me if I PM you my email?
Original post by pearl_rose
Thank you, however I can't open that post for some reason... can you email it to me if I PM you my email?

Okay:smile:
Reply 864
Original post by Ahsen2015
you done all the other past papers?

pretty much
im just going through the gold c2 past papers and the international papers really
looking at last year international, seems like they are making c2 harder :s
Original post by physicsmaths

Cool. I'll just finish off the solomon I'm doing atm ^.^
Reply 866
Does anyone know how you find chord length?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Olon

Depends. Usually you construct a right-angled triangle and do Pythagoras from there.
Original post by physicsmaths

Solomon papers are harder, but if you haven't done the R papers do them
Original post by Olon

Get the two coordinates of the chord
use this
d^2= (x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2
where d is the length
Reply 870
Depends. Usually you construct a right-angled triangle and do Pythagoras from there.

can you give me an example please?
Reply 871
Original post by frozo123
use this
where d is the length

so can i use this everytime? instead of constructing a right angle and using pythagoras?
is it square rooted btw?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Olon
can you give me an example please?

Yeah, sure. There's loads of odd questions they do them in. Try: https://a44694f152ee562e38a9454969d2b9a549a03543.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYOTR1Zk42aXdIazg/09%20Gold%201%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf question 9c.

Draw a CLEAR and labelled diagram or it may get confusing.
Original post by frozo123
use this
where d is the length

What about if you don't have the coordinate points? Eg. the question I gave the other poster above.
Original post by joe1545
Solomon papers are harder, but if you haven't done the R papers do them

Yes but realistically if you get a really hard question then it will be ones very similar to the R papers. Since its the day before much better to do the R IAL papers. IAL can get particularly nasty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 875
Yeah, sure. There's loads of odd questions they do them in. Try: https://a44694f152ee562e38a9454969d2b9a549a03543.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYOTR1Zk42aXdIazg/09%20Gold%201%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf question 9c.

Draw a CLEAR and labelled diagram or it may get confusing.

Ah, thanks. Is this essentially the same as using the formula the other poster wrote?
Reply 876
20150519_151000(0).jpgGuys how do you work out B? Can you explain it step by step? Thanks
Original post by Olon

If you have the co-ordinates of the points where it touches the triangle, just use Pythagoras to find the length of the chord.
What about if you don't have the coordinate points? Eg. the question I gave the other poster above.

are you trying to test me or are you stuck on it lol
Original post by Olon
Ah, thanks. Is this essentially the same as using the formula the other poster wrote?

I suppose you potentially could do it that way, but it would be extremely long (pages of working out + time) to get the coordinates in the first place. You would have to use parallel gradient, work out the line, work out where they intersect the triangle etc etc..

Using pythagoras makes more sense to me, but if you really can't see where the triangle to construct would be, do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending