The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

So for these I'm doing: Of Mice and Men, Heroes and An Inspector Calls. I'm really dreading this exam because English is like my worst subject and memorising quotes? It's absurd. No point complaining now though. But what do you guys predict will come up?
I have a feeling that for AIC there will be something on the theme of morality. What could we write for that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am dreading this exam too! The books I have studied are of mice and men, blood brothers and a Christmas carol.

For of mice and men I have heard it is likely that slim, candy or crooks may come up.

i think it is best to learn points and quotes which can be used for various themes and character questions.
Original post by a456
I am dreading this exam too! The books I have studied are of mice and men, blood brothers and a Christmas carol.

For of mice and men I have heard it is likely that slim, candy or crooks may come up.

i think it is best to learn points and quotes which can be used for various themes and character questions.

Yep, that's my main tactic. I assume you're doing WJEC as well? I also have a feeling that the essay question may be about Curley's wife. Have you heard about the changes to the spec? They're making it so there's more focus on historical context, keep that in mind too! If you don't mind me asking what's your target grade and what did you get on CA?
How many quotes would you say we need for the 20 mark essay question?
I did the OMAM exam last year and im doing Heroes and An Inspector calls this year, dreading it also ahha
Could they still do it on Curley's wife even though our controlled assessment was on her?
Reply 6
Original post by Mystic mauve
Could they still do it on Curley's wife even though our controlled assessment was on her?

I think so! At least if it did come up we'd know lots. There are also questions where you have to choose a character, for example which character do you think is the biggest victim? You could write bout Curley's wife for this, or any other character! :smile:
Original post by a456

I'm doing Heroes and An Inspector Calls next week, but I did the Of Mice and Men exam in Year 10, and the character question was on Crooks so I don't think it will be him again this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Scarllett
I'm doing Heroes and An Inspector Calls next week, but I did the Of Mice and Men exam in Year 10, and the character question was on Crooks so I don't think it will be him again this year.

Ah thank you! I'll bare that in mind!
I have a feeling the AIC question will be Sheila....
if you want some advice, the most likely charicter is Curley, he is the only night charicter not to come up and there's loads to write about him , both contextually and historically. I'm hedging my bet on him

Posted from TSR Mobile
the AIC question may be BIRLING, he is the only big charicter not to come up and they thought it was him last year until it was Eva, if you ask me , it's very likely to be him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tommy1499
the AIC question may be BIRLING, he is the only big charicter not to come up and they thought it was him last year until it was Eva, if you ask me , it's very likely to be him

Posted from TSR Mobile

he came up in june 2013 though :frown: could still be right though, I hope so!
Original post by Kathryn1998
I did the OMAM exam last year and im doing Heroes and An Inspector calls this year, dreading it also ahha

Ah you're so lucky! Our school have been complete ***** about year 10 exams, the only one that I did last year was core science. I wish I did maths last year because I'm doing further this year as well. I also wish we could've done english language and the omam paper. I hate my school sometimes. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll kill it!
Reply 14
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
Ah you're so lucky! Our school have been complete ***** about year 10 exams, the only one that I did last year was core science. I wish I did maths last year because I'm doing further this year as well. I also wish we could've done english language and the omam paper. I hate my school sometimes. Good luck though, I'm sure you'll kill it!

I wasn't allowed to sit any exams in Year 10! I had to do all my science this year and all my English!
Original post by RebeccaHollins
How many quotes would you say we need for the 20 mark essay question?

I have about 20 quotes on each character and about 10 per theme. For the exam however I would say you'd need around 5-6 quotes depending on the quality and potential of them. If they are short quotes, add more. If they are long quotes, use less and analyse more. When it comes down to memorising though, I'd pick out your BEST 5-7 quotes and learn those. I leave the others as backup ones, if I can remember and apply them in the exam. Another good thing to do is to find quotes that you can use for both characters and quotes, that way you have more handy quotes and less to memorise. Good luck for the exam!
Reply 16
if you want some advice, the most likely charicter is Curley, he is the only night charicter not to come up and there's loads to write about him , both contextually and historically. I'm hedging my bet on him

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just been revising Curley. I think it is likely he could come up too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, that would be a really good question and a godsent
Reply 18
In your opinion, which character do you think is most responsible for the death of Curley's wife, and why?
Original post by a456
In your opinion, which character do you think is most responsible for the death of Curley's wife, and why?

well lennie murdered here but if curley was being a good guy he woundnt of made her go out of thehouse for interaction witht he other guys, eventhough they all knew she was trouble.

Quick Reply