The Student Room Group

Should I go for undergraduate medicine or Biomed/Biochem?

Hey guys, I'm an international student hoping to do medicine in Edinburgh or UCL. However, for international student the competition is extremely competitive (i.e. 700 applications for 15-20 places) and so it is quite unlikely that I'll be able to get into these ideal universities.

And so I'm thinking of studying Biochem or Biomed instead for a 3 year BSc and then apply for GEM even though I heard it's more competitive than undergraduate entry but will it be better chances for me compared to applying to medicine directly as an international student? (I have a EU passport so after 3 years of residence I'll become a local) And also I'm not entirely sure if I really want to study medicine so if I change my mind about it whilst studying Biochem/Biomed will it give me good prospects? (in terms of further education and career).

PS. For biochem/biomed I'm planning to apply for Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh and Manchester and for medicine, Imperial, Edinburgh, Kings, Manchester, and a backup I haven't decide.
(edited 8 years ago)
Medicine
Reply 2
Original post by Linsy
Medicine

Why would you think that medicine is better?
Because I've just done a science degree and now I'm applying to go back to uni and do something health related. Don't beat around the bush, shoot for the stars.
Reply 4
Original post by Linsy
Because I've just done a science degree and now I'm applying to go back to uni and do something health related. Don't beat around the bush, shoot for the stars.

Yes I agree with you as well however the competition for medicine as an international student is just too absurdly high and I worry that all four of my applications will be declined...
Better make it a bloody good application then!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frankie107
Hey guys, I'm an international student hoping to do medicine in Edinburgh or UCL. However, for international student the competition is extremely competitive (i.e. 700 applications for 15-20 places) and so it is quite unlikely that I'll be able to get into these ideal universities.

And so I'm thinking of studying Biochem or Biomed instead for a 3 year BSc and then apply for GEM even though I heard it's more competitive than undergraduate entry but will it be better chances for me compared to applying to medicine directly as an international student? (I have a EU passport so after 3 years of residence I'll become a local) And also I'm not entirely sure if I really want to study medicine so if I change my mind about it whilst studying Biochem/Biomed will it give me good prospects? (in terms of further education and career).

PS. For biochem/biomed I'm planning to apply for Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh and Manchester and for medicine, Imperial, Edinburgh, Kings, Manchester, and a backup I haven't decide.

If you have the grades and UKCAT/BMAT apply for Medicine. If you don't though then its better to just apply to biomed.

Definitely do not apply to biomed just because your grades aren't the best. If you qualify then its always worth an application. Your 5th choice can always be biomed and you are guaranteed to get into a biomed program if you are competitive for medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by Okorange
If you have the grades and UKCAT/BMAT apply for Medicine. If you don't though then its better to just apply to biomed.

Definitely do not apply to biomed just because your grades aren't the best. If you qualify then its always worth an application. Your 5th choice can always be biomed and you are guaranteed to get into a biomed program if you are competitive for medicine.

Yes thank you very much for your advice. Also, for the back-up I'm still deciding between biochemistry or biomedical science. Is biochemistry a viable option as back-up or is it too far off? It seem to interest me more but actually I'm not too sure about both of the degrees in terms of future prospect...
Original post by frankie107
Yes thank you very much for your advice. Also, for the back-up I'm still deciding between biochemistry or biomedical science. Is biochemistry a viable option as back-up or is it too far off? It seem to interest me more but actually I'm not too sure about both of the degrees in terms of future prospect...

Go for medicine now. There are even fewer spaces for international students on GEM courses and it is quite possible GEM won't exist in a few years (at least not in its current form). You would still be an international student in 3 years, as time spent here in full time education doesn't count.
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/
Reply 9
Original post by ForestCat
Go for medicine now. There are even fewer spaces for international students on GEM courses and it is quite possible GEM won't exist in a few years (at least not in its current form). You would still be an international student in 3 years, as time spent here in full time education doesn't count.
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/England-Higher-Education/

Thanks for your response. But I don't really understand how the 'main purpose' of residence is determined because I know quite many who went to Scotland to study and ended up being home students after three years. Do they require any proof of another purpose or do we just state it directly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending