The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 Biology - Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

The Lactase bead question was a bit weird and the whooping cough cases question, where you had to explain why vaccinations dropped, I put about the cases of reported whooping cough dropping to 0 and then fluctuating slightly. It did occur to me about cost effectiveness/ethics, etc. and now I'm kicking myself slightly.
Original post by S.Ahmad
1)Pancreas and small intestine (2m)
a.Maltase has a specific tertiary (3D) structure and so forms a unique active site, only which a complementary substrate can enter Maltose. Forming Enzyme-substrate complexes. (3m)

2)Ribosomes, golgi apparatus and mitochondria. (3m)
a.Magnification of 2000 (1/100)/5x10^-6) = 2000. (2m)

3)Lactose (disaccharide) hydrolysed into glucose and galactose which are both reducing sugars > whilst lactose remains undigested and so tastes less sweet. (2m)
i. Large surface area, and so increases exposure of the lactase enzyme to the lactose.
ii. Prevents contamination of the milk, doesn't contain lactase enzymes.
iii. (3m)

4)[Fish question]
a.Conclusions:
i.People who didn’t eat fish are more likely to suffer from asthma [data]
ii.Can’t remember x2 (3m)
b.Test for lipids: grind the fish up, add ethanol and water and mix. A cloudy white colour/emulsion if form oils are present as they’re lipids. (3m)

5)[Whooping cough]
i. Number of cases decreases, elaborated that point.
ii. Religious, ethical, medical objects and so more people reject vaccinations. (2m)

The peaks) This is all about the Secondary response, on initial exposure B-memory cells are made for the antigens of the pathogen. After every peak, the cases decreases as people produce more antibodies and at a faster rate. [Spoke about primary and secondary response] (2m?)

Last part) Herd Immunity, majority of population are vaccinated in a given time period and so the number of cases is minimal this reduces the transmission of Whooping cough as no-one virtually is infected by it. (2m)

6)[Honey thing] Water potential decreases and so water moves in by osmosis from an area of higher WP to an an area of lower WP, down the concentration gradient. I went onto speaking about osmositc lysis which is apparently incorrect. (3m?)

7)Heartbeat question - the range was like 71 - 53, can't entirely remember for 100%.(1m)
i. The percentage decrease for women = 13.6%.(2m)
ii. Stroke volume increases due to deeper contractions of the Heart Muscle, greater surge of blood per contraction. (2m)

8)Antigens/bacteria which antibodies are required for. (1m)
a.Facilitated diffusion, molecules bind onto the carrier proteins which causes them to change in shape and release to the opposite side down the concentration gradient [high concentration to a lower concentration] from the blood liver cells I think. (2m)

Reducing risk of CHD) less deposits of fatty substances such as LDL cholesterol and so likelihood of atheroma's developing is minimal and so reduces the risk of aneurysms and thrombosis. (3m?)

9)Cell fractionation separates organelles in order of mass.
a.Animals cells placed in cold, isotonic and buffered solution reduce enzyme activity, prevent osmotic movement (cells bursting or shrinking) and maintain contain pH, respectively.
b.Cells broken down in a Homogeniser which releases the organelles.
c.Resultant fluid, homogenate, filtered to remove whole cells and debris.
d.Homogenate spun in tubes in a Centrifuge. Nuclei sets at the bottom (heaviest organelle) as sediment. The reminisce known as supernatant which is removed and spun once more at a faster speed Mitochondria sets at the bottom sediment. (5m)

10)TEM has the highest resolving power and magnification, as it uses a beam of electrons which has a short wavelength and so diffraction is considerably lower.
a.TEM works by penetrating electrons through the specimen, some regions absorb the electrons appearing darker whilst other regions allow electrons to directly penetrate through, appearing brighter onscreen image produced.
b.Limitations: black and white, 2D imagine [EXPLAIN]
c.Complex staining process artefacts + specimen needs to be thin [EXPLAIN]
(5m)

Misc questions:
-Asthma = muscles surrounding the bronchioles constrict. (1m)
Total-60m

That's all I can remember for the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure when they asked you why the peaks were reducing between 1980 & 1990, part of Q5, you were meant to notice and discuss that the percentage of infants being vaccinated rose from like 45% to 81% (if I remember correctly) so an increasing proportion of the population had immunity to it and hence the total number of recorded cases in each outbreak (peak) would decrease. Or thats what I wrote ... I didn't write anything about a B-Cell response and don't think it was what it was asking for?
QUESTION 2 was rer not ribosomes.
Smooth muscles lining the bronchioles contract not constrict as stated above
Plus for suggest why % of vaccinations decreased isn't it because:
1. Vaccine uptake lower
2. Population of infants increases
The honey question- when the honey is put on a cut doesnt it lower the water potential outside the bacterial cell so water leaves the bacteria cell so it shrinks? hence dies?
Reply 67
For the beeds questions: more suggestions?

-if not doing beed method the lactose maybe too large to be absorbed and broken down (1)?
-more faster thus efficient (1)?
Original post by GeorgeOHW
Pretty sure when they asked you why the peaks were reducing between 1980 & 1990, part of Q5, you were meant to notice and discuss that the percentage of infants being vaccinated rose from like 45% to 81% (if I remember correctly) so an increasing proportion of the population had immunity to it and hence the total number of recorded cases in each outbreak (peak) would decrease. Or thats what I wrote ... I didn't write anything about a B-Cell response and don't think it was what it was asking for?

Yes thats what i was talking about dont know why people are talking about memory cells and all that. But we could be wrong. AQA questions are very ambiguous
Original post by GeorgeOHW

Yeah I agree with you and actually the vaccination doubled from 43% to 86%
for limitations of the tem surely there are more points you could have put. i put like 6 limitations.
The thing is, how would we know? Like I knew what both were but we weren't given information to tell us which one?
Original post by AlexeiLipov
9. a) was endocytosis : "LDL particles in the bloodstream bind to these extracellular LDL receptors. The clathrin-coated pits then form vesicles that are endocytosed into the cell." - wikipedia page for LDL

just because thats what actually happens in real life doesn't mean thats the answer. they asked for a suggested or an educated guess so it'll be something that seems logical. most of us can't pull the term endocytosis out of our asses just like that
Original post by biojames
for limitations of the tem surely there are more points you could have put. i put like 6 limitations.

That will just be what the OP put but there'll be more in the mark scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justfly
For the beeds questions: more suggestions?

-if not doing beed method the lactose maybe too large to be absorbed and broken down (1)?
-more faster thus efficient (1)?

absorbed where?
For the one about LDL transport. I just stated that Receptors on the liver cells only have a specific complementary shape to LDL thus LDL enters cell. Then i said LDL is also lipid soluble.

For the one about why use % change. I said allows comparison. Males and Females have different mean resting heart rate at the start.

Why % of vaccinations decreased. I said Vaccine uptake decreases, and population of infant babies increases.

For the beads i said something on the lines of larger SA for lactase to hydrolyse lactose, more time for lactase to hydolyse lactose thus ensuring lactose completely broken down. Then the last point was silly put i said short diffusion pathway.
Original post by realist0
4) [Fish question]
a. Conclusions:
i. People who didn’t eat fish are more likely to suffer from asthma [data]

You probably get a mark for saying correlation doesn't mean causation/there may be another factor also

The question asked "what does figure 5 tell you" or something along those lines, so they'd want you to explicitly mention figure 5 and what it means, not what it doesn't mean.

Though, I could be wrong, but that's just my take on it.
Original post by Sacred Ground
Meh I put facilitated diffusion too like many others because it mentioned binding

same, at first i thought it would just go straight through because its lipid soluble, but then i read how it mentioned it was binded- and so it had to be facilitated diffusing using carrier proteins
Hahhah I'm feeling rather smug thinking we've got it right ...
Reply 79
Original post by TheDaniel
The question asked "what does figure 5 tell you" or something along those lines, so they'd want you to explicitly mention figure 5 and what it means, not what it doesn't mean.

Though, I could be wrong, but that's just my take on it.

I remember it saying evaluate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending