The Student Room Group

Any A-levels i should avoid taking or any advice?

hi everyone, i was just wondering if there's any advice that you can give me on doing A-levels in September and if there are subjects i should take in combination or avoid all together, as i am starting them soon and i want to become a special needs teacher :smile:

just to let you know, i am taking:
English language,
sociology
biology
chemistry
thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

swap chemistry for maths
Sciences in A-level is like 10x harder than in GCSE... only do it if you really have a passion and interest in it...
Reply 3
Original post by WillNegForReps
swap chemistry for maths

I am predicted an A for maths at GCSE, but my teacher told me not to bother with A-level, so should I do A-level or core maths? you only need a C for Core maths :smile: thanks for replying.:redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Bustamove
Sciences in A-level is like 10x harder than in GCSE... only do it if you really have a passion and interest in it...

I really enjoy both biology and chemistry, but i hate physics, so thats why i chose them and thankyou so much for replying :smile:
Maths can be useful but for your area won't necessarily be needed but if you change your mind it is good to have it.
Reply 6
I started doing maths and chemistry AS in September - I dropped maths after 2 weeks even though I got an A* at GCSE as I didn't enjoy it at all. I love chemistry and its not as hard as you think! Ultimately, go with what you enjoy because you will put the work in :smile:
Original post by Tootles247
hi everyone, i was just wondering if there's any advice that you can give me on doing A-levels in September and if there are subjects i should take in combination or avoid all together, as i am starting them soon and i want to become a special needs teacher :smile:

English language,
sociology
biology
chemistry

Biology is so hard for me I don't know why
Chemistry is really easy compared to biology if you know and understand the content you'll pass with flying colours
Sociology I don't take my friend is dropping it next year due to the exam difficulty rather than the course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

English language,
sociology
biology
chemistry

I wouldn't recommend chemistry unless you want to do science at uni really, it's hard work and a lot harder than at GCSE! I think maths is a good choice instead maybe, it's a really good a level to have but it's not as hard as the sciences at a level, I've really enjoyed it!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Bio and chem are a lot harder at a level, only choose them if you need those specific subjects for uni or something, if not choosing something 'easier' to get higher grades in would be a better option.
I am predicted an A for maths at GCSE, but my teacher told me not to bother with A-level, so should I do A-level or core maths? you only need a C for Core maths :smile: thanks for replying.:redface:

why did your teacher tell you not to bother? i got a B in gcse, almost got a C, they were reluctant to let me on, but i really wanted to do it, and i got a B in AS, now aiming for either an A or a B. it's definitely doable.
since you got A in gcse, you should be set for a good grade at a level.

maths is a great a level. it's enjoyable and if you know your stuff, the exams are a breeze. no trick questions or anything like that.
Reply 11

English language,
sociology
biology
chemistry

If you dont want to age 10 years and reconsider life, I wouldnt recommend physics. (Talking from experience)
It depends on what suits you best... I thought I loved chemistry and Biology at GCSE, got a A* in science... did it at a-level and hated it... got 2 Cs LOL
I'm telling my siblings to never do more than 2 sciences... ever...
Maths if you dont like it

i got an A* at gcse and i find C2 hard so i wish i never did it

Alright: my teacher said exactly the same thing to me. I ignored them and took mechanics and statistics (haha!).
The advice I'd give you is to take A-Level Maths if you have a passion for it, you enjoy it and you are good at it. Universities really do like maths at A-Level, if you want to study a science at A-Level, you'd probably need maths.. If you're predicted an 'A' at GCSE, you'll be more than okay at A-Level, depending on what exam board you'd have - they vary accordingly.
You'd also need to take into consideration that the grade boundaries are hugely different than GCSE. An 'A' at GCSE is like, what, 60-70%? Well, on my exam board, that's like a 'D' grade, or an 'E' if they're harsh.
Hope I helped! :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15

I got an A at GCSE and went on to do further maths and predicted an A at AS, you can definitely do A level maths with an A at GCSE!
Original post by saeed97
If you dont want to age 10 years and reconsider life, I wouldnt recommend physics. (Talking from experience)

Physics and Mathematics really do compliment each other. I don't take physics, but it is one of the most valued A-Levels, but it is VERY difficult and a HUGE step-up from GCSE. :wink:
I think if you're naturally good at maths, take the a level
It's easier than you think
It's literally just practice
If you do get a B or C in maths, I don't suggest you take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
sociology is a soft subject. They are worthless.
Original post by Bloom77
I think if you're naturally good at maths, take the a level
It's easier than you think
It's literally just practice
If you do get a B or C in maths, I don't suggest you take it

Posted from TSR Mobile

i disagree, i scraped a B at GCSE and got a B at AS level. a friend of mine got A* at gcse and got an E at a level. the most important thing is to try hard and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest