The Student Room Group

Advice for applying to University as a home learning A Level Student

I am a Year 12 student learning my A Levels through a distance learning college and was seeking some advice on if it is possible for me to attend a Russell group University and what I should do to help my personal statement etc. Any advice is appreciated.
Original post by anants
I am a Year 12 student learning my A Levels through a distance learning college and was seeking some advice on if it is possible for me to attend a Russell group University and what I should do to help my personal statement etc. Any advice is appreciated.

The mere fact that you can spell Russell correctly, unlike the majority of posters on TSR, means that you should be accepted automatically! 😆

More seriously, there's no reason a good university (note that not all "good" universities are in the RG) shouldn't accept a distance learning student. The only issue you might have is obtaining a reference and predicted grades.
definitely possible for you too, just need to get the grades. Im not sure how youre distance learning college works, meaning, how much contact you get with them or if they just send you a folder of work to do. But honestly this is a good questions ask them, they would have definitely had students who've gone on to university with them and they can share their experiences and hwat they did. One of the harder things ive found when applying to uni when not going to mainstream college is the reference. See whether they college would be able to offer you one/whether you can contact any teachers to see if they could. If not might want to work on trying to find one of those elsewhere, like through a job or even asking a previous teacher if you have one. The best thing you can do is just have a look at some unis you might like to apply to and just email their admissions with any questions, different universities are more lenient. :smile:

Are you taking science alevels, not international? then the practical endorssement for uni might prove tricky
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
The mere fact that you can spell Russell correctly, unlike the majority of posters on TSR, means that you should be accepted automatically! 😆

More seriously, there's no reason a good university (note that not all "good" universities are in the RG) shouldn't accept a distance learning student. The only issue you might have is obtaining a reference and predicted grades.

Hey! Haha, I wish it was that easy. In terms of you mentioning me obtaining a reference and predicted grade the way it works is I submit my assignments that are given to me regularly and once I have reached a certain percentage of them completed I receive a predicted grade which I can present to Universities. In terms of a reference I can get an intellectual reference regarding my education and work from my online tutors that work at the online college, but for a reference and detailed report on my personality etc I messaged UCAS on FB messenger a few months ago and one of the workers claimed I could get one from my high school.
Reply 4
Original post by resonatethesoup
definitely possible for you too, just need to get the grades. Im not sure how youre distance learning college works, meaning, how much contact you get with them or if they just send you a folder of work to do. But honestly this is a good questions ask them, they would have definitely had students who've gone on to university with them and they can share their experiences and hwat they did. One of the harder things ive found when applying to uni when not going to mainstream college is the reference. See whether they college would be able to offer you one/whether you can contact any teachers to see if they could. If not might want to work on trying to find one of those elsewhere, like through a job or even asking a previous teacher if you have one. The best thing you can do is just have a look at some unis you might like to apply to and just email their admissions with any questions, different universities are more lenient. :smile:

Are you taking science alevels, not international? then the practical endorssement for uni might prove tricky

Hey! So in terms of a reference I answered in the other reply, but it would basically be a reference from hopefully both my current online college and my high school. In terms of job I currently work as a tutor at a tuition on Wednesday and Saturday every week since March so that is an option if required. Also yes thank you as I will make sure to email Unis about any questions I have :smile:. For my A Levels I am taking Maths, Economics and Business.
Original post by anants
Hey! So in terms of a reference I answered in the other reply, but it would basically be a reference from hopefully both my current online college and my high school. In terms of job I currently work as a tutor at a tuition on Wednesday and Saturday every week since March so that is an option if required. Also yes thank you as I will make sure to email Unis about any questions I have :smile:. For my A Levels I am taking Maths, Economics and Business.

Ok so you have a way of getting predictions and a reference. One thing that might hamper you is taking both Economics and Business. Some universities don't like that because of the overlap. You will have to check which unis/courses find it acceptable.
Reply 6
Go to Uni Open Days and ask questions about what each Uni wants to see in an application for that subject - Unis can be very helpful with this sort of info.

This film from Essex Uni is very informative, and there is a good written guide link at the very bottom of the page with examples of good/bad PS - https://www.essex.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying-to-essex/personal-statement

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending