The Student Room Group

Late in the IB game... should I still apply?

I am about to start my Masters and it is not in Fiance/Economics etc. My interests as of late have been in Risk/Policy and my Masters only covers the latter. I have a lot of public sector work experience that somewhat overlap into finance but no hardcore IB internship.. a boutique work experience about 1 year and a half ago + The standard 1-2 day insight day etc.

Now I understand what IB is about, I think I would apply for Risks.. but is this a risk applying when I have no exposure to this field?

Have people been able to enter this field with no background or internship? I feel so late in the game.

Also, I have heard about the infamous online tests. Any tests in particular, I should study? or a link to a thread here that may be of help.
do-able, risk is quite quanty but a degree in finance/econ should give you enough grounding.

attending a target increases ur chances even at MO stage, spin what experiences you do have and you'll be fine. tests are quite simple, google some test providers and just practice, test providers are SHL, Kenexa & TalentQ, practice some numerical/logical reasoning tests. it's harder to break in without a relevant internship ofc but not impossible. gl
Original post by gr8wizard10
do-able, risk is quite quanty but a degree in finance/econ should give you enough grounding.

attending a target increases ur chances even at MO stage, spin what experiences you do have and you'll be fine. tests are quite simple, google some test providers and just practice, test providers are SHL, Kenexa & TalentQ, practice some numerical/logical reasoning tests. it's harder to break in without a relevant internship ofc but not impossible. gl

Thank you so much for this advice. I really like the idea of risks but think I might have a better chance at wealth/private.. as my experiences are on the top tier in law/government.. what do you think?

If I start practising from now do you think I will be prepared? Also, my masters is at UCL.. is that a target? I plan on going to all their campus events..
Original post by iamsuperwoman
Thank you so much for this advice. I really like the idea of risks but think I might have a better chance at wealth/private.. as my experiences are on the top tier in law/government.. what do you think?

If I start practising from now do you think I will be prepared? Also, my masters is at UCL.. is that a target? I plan on going to all their campus events..

pick a department which u think u can spin and aligns to your skill and stick with it. it's ur life, do something you want.

ucl is good, tests are common sense
Reply 4

Nah it's really not, credit risk is just writing reports with id say even less maths then IBD. Well at least at the analyst and associate level it is. Market risk is inevitably more quanty.
Original post by fuuji
Nah it's really not, credit risk is just writing reports with id say even less maths then IBD. Well at least at the analyst and associate level it is. Market risk is inevitably more quanty.

didn't specify an area. either way anything's learnable with experience, just have to be liked enough by interviewers to get the gig
Original post by fuuji

Oh really? I was watching a video on credit risk this afternoon (jp morgan).. do you have experience in this division ? :smile:
I am about to start my Masters and it is not in Fiance/Economics etc. My interests as of late have been in Risk/Policy and my Masters only covers the latter. I have a lot of public sector work experience that somewhat overlap into finance but no hardcore IB internship.. a boutique work experience about 1 year and a half ago + The standard 1-2 day insight day etc.

Now I understand what IB is about, I think I would apply for Risks.. but is this a risk applying when I have no exposure to this field?

Have people been able to enter this field with no background or internship? I feel so late in the game.

Also, I have heard about the infamous online tests. Any tests in particular, I should study? or a link to a thread here that may be of help.

As gr8wizard10 has reiterated, you have every chance.

Just down to you to spin your experiences and nail the psychometric tests (Person with your calibre can nail this).

Good luck!
Oh really? I was watching a video on credit risk this afternoon (jp morgan).. do you have experience in this division ? :smile:

you assess the risk of default of counterparty, and assess how risky it is to do business with them. they generally advise the fo business as to who and who not to enter into deals with. the department (at where i was) is also responsible for implementing trading limits and advise traders on how much risk they can take with any particular trade.

credit risks main concern is generally loans (i.e syndicated loans), whos work revolves around due-dilligence and on-going reviews on a counter-parties ability to meet repayment obligations. at the associate/vice president level (again where i was anyway) there's opportunities to be involved in client facing roles alongside ibd when due-dilligence requires a risk members presence. although ur main clients are the ibd division in which essentially you have to keep in check and do the admin work with regards to informing stakeholders i.e management & regulators as to what sort of risk your firm is taking on.

key skills from what i gathered to be good at the role: accounting(financial statement analysis), consolidating complex information into easily relatable terms, have inter-personal skills and resillience to confront those in the fo when you feel as though they are doing something they shouldn't be doing which might pose a financial risk to your firm. (although as an analyst/associate you'll just tell your line manager), also be good at excel to provide the nescessary numbers to justify your points, ability to work long hours (hours can be hefty, even though it's a mo role)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by fuuji

After finding out that a couple of guys I know high up on trading desks that are considered to be among the most 'quanty' of trading desks, did Theology/Classics in their undergrad, I doubt whether any roles in the industry, outside of being a Quant could be deemed 'quanty' (especially if you come from a maths undergrad. background).
Original post by Noble.
After finding out that a couple of guys I know high up on trading desks that are considered to be among the most 'quanty' of trading desks, did Theology/Classics in their undergrad, I doubt whether any roles in the industry, outside of being a Quant could be deemed 'quanty' (especially if you come from a maths undergrad. background).

i suppose quanty in the sense that not everyones good with numbers, general point though the math required in most roles isn't that difficult. excel (and whatever other internal pricing software is used) does most the work but being familiar with what u need to do to derive certain numbers is pretty much essential. some roles in ib just require that level of detail that shouldn't be left to chance so bringing in people with that attention to detail is useful. with regards to the math for trading, you can learn what's needed of the specific product quite quickly whilst on the desk.
Reply 11
i suppose quanty in the sense that not everyones good with numbers, general point though the math required in most roles isn't that difficult. excel (and whatever other internal pricing software is used) does most the work but being familiar with what u need to do to derive certain numbers is pretty much essential. some roles in ib just require that level of detail that shouldn't be left to chance so bringing in people with that attention to detail is useful. with regards to the math for trading, you can learn what's needed of the specific product quite quickly whilst on the desk.

Well yes, but how quantitative trading is varies desk to desk. There are certain desks which now-a-days you'll pretty much only get on if you've done a maths/physics/engineering degree.
Original post by Noble.
Well yes, but how quantitative trading is varies desk to desk. There are certain desks which now-a-days you'll pretty much only get on if you've done a maths/physics/engineering degree.

precisely, as i said, familiarity for deriving the needed numbers is essential :smile:

the employees become useful more quickly and its cheaper/easier to employee those with the underlying skills
precisely, as i said, familiarity for deriving the needed numbers is essential :smile:

the employees become useful more quickly and its cheaper/easier to employee those with the underlying skills

Original post by Noble.

Original post by Anonynmous
As gr8wizard10 has reiterated, you have every chance.

Just down to you to spin your experiences and nail the psychometric tests (Person with your calibre can nail this).

Good luck!

I think I will apply for the GIR, Compliance and Executive offiice... do you think I will stand a chance?
I think I will apply for the GIR, Compliance and Executive offiice... do you think I will stand a chance?

After spending a Summer interning at an American IB, I'd say focus more on what you want, it seems like a random mix especially including EO? make sure you know what each division does and the work involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending