The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh Biological sciences

Hi everyone, my daughter has applied for biological sciences in Edinburgh Uni (don't remember the exact program) but still has no reply. Her predicted score in IB is 43. Does anyone got an offer for similar courses?
Original post by elenig
Hi everyone, my daughter has applied for biological sciences in Edinburgh Uni (don't remember the exact program) but still has no reply. Her predicted score in IB is 43. Does anyone got an offer for similar courses?

Hi there,

When did she apply? Edinburgh are known for often giving out offers late. Also, currently we are still before the UCAS deadline so not quite all applications will be in yet, and unis have to make sure everyone who applies by 31 January has the same chance.
They have already given out some offers for biological sciences, but they will still have the majority of their offers to give out, so you should tell her there’s absolutely nothing to be worried about.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by squiddy135
Hi there,

When did she apply? Edinburgh are known for often giving out offers late. Also, currently we are still before the UCAS deadline so not quite all applications will be in yet, and unis have to make sure everyone who applies by 31 January has the same chance.
They have already given out some offers for biological sciences, but they will still have the majority of their offers to give out, so you should tell her there’s absolutely nothing to be worried about.

Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
She completed fee UCAS application on 5th of December.
Fingers crossed she will get an offer.
Original post by elenig
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
She completed fee UCAS application on 5th of December.
Fingers crossed she will get an offer.

Absolutely - she looks to be in a good position and if she applied in December I definitely wouldn’t be surprised she hasn’t heard back yet.
Best of luck to your daughter!
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by elenig

I have an offer from Edinburgh for Biological Sciences (Zoology). I received the offer on 21 Nov 2023 but I applied early. I’m doing A-levels with predicted 3A*
Original post by sharpcactus
I have an offer from Edinburgh for Biological Sciences (Zoology). I received the offer on 21 Nov 2023 but I applied early. I’m doing A-levels with predicted 3A*

Yeah, it seems like they gave out a few biological science offers in October and November to early applicants (I received one for biochemistry in late October, having applied at the end of Sep, 4A*s predicted). I imagine they might be waiting it out now until the UCAS deadline before giving more.
Reply 6
Hello,
I was looking for private accommodation in Edinburgh since my daughter got a conditional offer for biological sciences. Does anyone have good recommendations for any of those? Safe area, clean rooms and reasonable prices are some of the thinks we try to combine.
Which area of Edinburgh is nice and safe for students?
Original post by elenig
Hello,
I was looking for private accommodation in Edinburgh since my daughter got a conditional offer for biological sciences. Does anyone have good recommendations for any of those? Safe area, clean rooms and reasonable prices are some of the thinks we try to combine.
Which area of Edinburgh is nice and safe for students?

She applied by the deadline, so why not go with the Uni student accommodation offer .... ? https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/student-life/accommodation
Reply 8
Original post by SilverPebble
She applied by the deadline, so why not go with the Uni student accommodation offer .... ? https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/student-life/accommodation

Thanks for your reply.
Do you know when is the deadline?
She wants to apply to Uni’s accommodation but they told her that she needs to wait for the 5th uni to answer in UCAS and then make the two uni acceptances.. After that she can apply within 72 hours.
if the fifth university answers late, she might not have a chance to get in, accommodation….So we need to have a back up plan.
Original post by elenig
Thanks for your reply.
She wants to apply to Uni’s accommodation but they told her that she needs to wait for the 5th uni to answer in UCAS and then make the two uni acceptances.. After that she can apply within 72 hours.
if the fifth university answers late, she might not have a chance to get in, accommodation….So we need to have a back up plan.

The deadline for applying to accommodation is 31 July, and if you apply by this deadline (and are a new first-year) they guarantee accommodation. UCAS deadline for unis to reply is mid-May so there’s no way she’d still be waiting to hear back, and it’s unlikely unis are really allowed to set deadline for applying for accommodation as before they might have all their decisions.
Edinburgh also don’t allocate on first-come, first-serve, but proportionally as to how many are unconditional firm (i.e. have accepted their offer as ‘firm’ and aren’t waiting for results to confirm their place), so there’s absolutely no possibility that she would “not have a chance to get in” to accommodation.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by elenig
Thanks for your reply.

If your daughter is going to pick Edinburgh as her firm choice then she can actually set her firm and insurance preferences right now. She just needs to withdraw from the last uni that hasnt replied.
Reply 11
Original post by sharpcactus
If your daughter is going to pick Edinburgh as her firm choice then she can actually set her firm and insurance preferences right now. She just needs to withdraw from the last uni that hasnt replied.

Thanks you for that.
No one told us before
Reply 12
Any recommendations about safe areas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending