The Student Room Group

Should I get extenuating circumstances?

Hi All,

I'm sure we're all a little anxious about exams and attaining the grades for uni!

Long story short... I recently went to the doctors and was told I may have testicular cancer. I've been booked in for an ultrasound, which clashes with one of my exam. (I'll have to rearrange it).

the doctor's told me not to worry as it may just be a cyst. Still, it's a bit hard not to!

Should I speak to my college about this and see if I'm entitled to extenuating circumstances?

If anybody has any experience with anything like this then please let me know.

Good look with exams! :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AlexWayward
Hi All,

I'm sure we're all a little anxious about exams and attaining the grades for uni!

Long story short... I recently went to the doctors and was told I may have testicular cancer. I've been booked in for an ultrasound, which clashes with one of my exam. (I'll have to rearrange it).

the doctor's told me not to worry as it may just be a cyst. Still, it's a bit hard not to!

Should I speak to my college about this and see if I'm entitled to extenuating circumstances?

If anybody has any experience with anything like this then please let me know.

Good look with exams! :-)

The best idea is probably to speak to the college as you said, as they'll have experience of what will and won't get you extenuating circumstances. If you've got an exams officer they're probably your best bet.
Hopefully this turns out to be nothing though, good luck to you too! :smile:
Definitely talk to your college, even if you only get a couple of percent it's worth it. Last summer I was referred to the hospital because they were worried about mouth cancer. It turned out to be nothing but I have never been so scared in my life and definitely would have had trouble doing exams so in my humble opinion you should be entitled to something! Hope everything works out for you and you're all good :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for all your help. Do you think I should perhaps phone my firm choice and let them know what's gone on (before I sit my A2s)?

It might be a bit of an awkward conversation!
Reply 5
Thanks for all your help. Do you think I should perhaps phone my firm choice and let them know what's gone on (before I sit my A2s)?

It's definitely best to mention it before you sit rather than after - the exams officer or similar at college might know more, but emailing or phoning the uni probably isn't a bad idea.

My aunt passed away due to cancer a couple of weeks ago. I told the exams office and they have applied for special consideration. Am I supposed to phone up my firm university and tell them? Or would the exams office let them know? I am really confused

Quick Reply

Latest