The Student Room Group

Which A-level to take: Computer science; Biology, Spanish or something else?

Hi guys, I'm having trouble deciding what A-level to take as my fifth one. Currently I've chosen further maths, physics and chemistry and so I have a free slot left (of five).

I intended to choose computer science (and have chosen it) because it's something I'm very strong at; looking at the (new) syllabus it seems to be quite easy for me.

At university I want to study either computer science (with maths if possible), optometry, or anything else that involves science of some sort (e.g. engineering or particle physics). I honestly have no idea at this point.

That leaves me with a choice as to what to take as a fifth A-level. Computer science seems to be very easy for me, since I'm an adept at it but does it have any value at all when applying to a university? I know it's being reformed this year so I'll being doing the new syllabus.

Biology and Spanish are much more valuable when applying to a university. Critical thinking i assume has some value and is only an AS level.

So what should I take; computer science, biology, Spanish, critical thinking or something else entirely? Would it be wise to not take a fifth A-level? I don't mind two years of having no free time at all and having to do a lot of work if it means I'm in a strong position.
(edited 8 years ago)
You don't need a 5th.

If you want to go into optometry (which I can almost guarantee you won't want to:tongue:) then bio would be wise

I'd personally go for Spanish though, nice contrast, fun, very useful, looked well upon, can actually use it

If you can already code and that, no point at all in doing it at a level, it isn't required anywhere
Reply 2
I'm currently doing my AS exams and planning to do software engineering at university. I can tell you now that pretty much no universities actually require an A-level in computer science/computing so I would suggest picking biology or Spanish since science and language A-levels are highly appreciated by universities.
Reply 3
What about critical thinking, is it worth anything?

Quick Reply

Latest