Two taled discrete hypothesis test question (OCR S2).

Watch
BecauseFP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Name:  June 2012.png
Views: 382
Size:  75.2 KB
Given that this is a two-tailed test, why does it matter if you use > or <? Surely one will just look for 0.975 and the other 0.025?
poorform
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because I think they are using the binomial distribution to carry out the test. I don't think n is large enough/p is small enough to carry out the test by approximating with the normal also.
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
(Original post by poorform)
Because I think they are using the binomial distribution to carry out the test. I don't think n is large enough/p is small enough to carry out the test by approximating with the normal also.
Not using normal I understand, it's punishing the use of <7 that I don't.
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
Oh, wow, I misspelled "tailed" in the title, is there anyway to change that?
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BecauseFP)
Not using normal I understand, it's punishing the use of <7 that I don't.
But the binomial distribution isn't symmetric, which is what your argument for 0.975 and 0.025 relies on.
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
(Original post by rayquaza17)
But the binomial distribution isn't symmetric, which is what your argument for 0.975 and 0.025 relies on.
Now I just feel stupid, but how do we know to use >?
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Now I just feel stupid, but how do we know to use >?
We are using greater than or equal to, not >?

Posted from TSR Mobile
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
We are using greater than or equal to, not >?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean how do we know to use > as opposed to <?
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I mean how do we know to use > as opposed to <?
I'll reply back to this tomorrow night if that's okay? Haven't got the time to check through my notes to write you a proper answer right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
I'll reply back to this tomorrow night if that's okay? Haven't got the time to check through my notes to write you a proper answer right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem, my attempt to explain this to myself is little more than this MSPaint confusion.
Name:  I am totally sane.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  27.3 KB
username1732133
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No problem, my attempt to explain this to myself is little more than this MSPaint confusion.
Name:  I am totally sane.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  27.3 KB
It should look more like this I think.
Attached files
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
(Original post by BuryMathsTutor)
It should look more like this I think.
Fair enough, but why is it that when we have a value of 7, we use >7? Why is <7 wrong?

I understand that once we start talking about rejection regions, it's quickly obvious that you must be >8 or <0, but in terms of working with p values, why is this the case?
username1732133
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
...why is it that when we have a value of 7, we use >7? Why is <7 wrong?
Could you try to make this question clearer?
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
Could you try to make this question clearer?
I was referring back to the original post. The question gives us a value of 7 to work with "Seven of the 12 people said that they preferred blue", and our hypotheses are H0: P=1/3 and H1 P is not equal to 1/3. So how do we know that the right thing to do is consider P(>7), rather than anything to do with P(<7)?
username1732133
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was referring back to the original post. The question gives us a value of 7 to work with "Seven of the 12 people said that they preferred blue", and our hypotheses are H0: P=1/3 and H1 P is not equal to 1/3. So how do we know that the right thing to do is consider P(>7), rather than anything to do with P(<7)?
You should be asking yourself, is 7 or more that unlikely, given H0?

In precise terms, is P(X \ge 7) &lt; 0.025 ? And of course the answer to that question is no.

Alternatively you can find the critical region and check to see whether or not 7 is in the critical region.
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
You should be asking yourself, is 7 or more that unlikely, given H0?

In precise terms, is P(X \ge 7) &lt; 0.025 ? And of course the answer to that question is no.

Alternatively you can find the critical region and check to see whether or not 7 is in the critical region.
As I've said, once you consider critical regions it's not an issue, but what about
P(X \le 7) &lt; 0.975 ?

While I completely understand that P(X \le 7)  \neq 1 - P(X \ge 7) I fail to see why the < case is wrong.
username1732133
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As I've said, once you consider critical regions it's not an issue, but what about
P(X \le 7) &lt; 0.975 ?

While I completely understand that P(X \le 7)  \neq 1 - P(X \ge 7) I fail to see why the < case is wrong.
I see. Whilst showing that P(X \le 7) &gt; 0.975 is equivalent to showing that P(X \ge 8) &lt; 0.025 it doesn't show that P(X \ge 7) &gt; 0.025.
BecauseFP
Rep:
?
I see. Whilst showing that P(X \le 7) &gt; 0.975 is equivalent to showing that P(X \ge 8) &lt; 0.025 it doesn't show that P(X \ge 7) &gt; 0.025.
But why is it that what we need to show is P(X \ge 7) &gt; 0.025?

Again, I must stress that I can easily see this when we're talking about critical regions and that 7 plain and simply isn't in the critical region, but how do we know to use \ge 7?
BecauseFP
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you find anything?
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you find anything?
Nah. I haven't done examples where it was worded this way, and I don't really understand statistics well enough to make an educated guess as to why they do this.

Sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (367)
84.17%
No (69)
15.83%

Watched Threads