The Student Room Group

Experience/Ops on Hills and Longs Sixth form(cambridge)

Hi,
To any former or current students of these sixth forms. I would like to ask what you personally think about these two cambs sixth forms.
Especially how they are with STEM a level subjects along with the EPQ in Hills
Thank you xx
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Trickia
Hi,
To any former or current students of these sixth forms. I would like to ask what you personally think about these two cambs sixth forms.
Especially how they are with STEM a level subjects along with the EPQ in Hills
Thank you xx

Along with the studying environment xx
Reply 2
Hello! I am currently in Year 13 (about to do my first exam tomorrow - I am not prepared). I am studying Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and History at Hills. I'll also be working there next year during my gap year.

First things first, it is quite intense. I'm not necessarily sure how much of that is because Hills generally has quite a lot of high achieving, competitive students, and how much of that is to do with the nature of A-Levels (probably a combination of both), but the support staff are absolutely incredible, I've accessed the mental health service they have there many times, and they've always been so lovely and supportive.

Lessons are great. All the students are enthusiastic about the subjects they are studying, and in my two years of being a student here, there's never been any disruption within lessons - everyone is happy to get on with the subject. To me, it seems like a very nice environment to study in. There's a lot of study spaces available throughout the college - we've recently had a new building built for studying so that's kinda cool.

EPQ runs from October right up until whenever you hand your project in (usually just before Year 13 starts - at least, that's when the deadline is). You will usually have one timetabled lesson per week to work on your EP and learn how to complete it. I'm not sure how much you know about EPQ, but there's a lot of paperwork- the actual outcome of the project carries very little of the marks. If you're going to come here and do an EPQ, make sure you choose something you are genuinely interested in because otherwise it's a drag.

If you're a caffeine fan, you're in luck because we have a Starbucks on site. Just thought I'd add that in as a bonus.

I don't really know what else to say. If you have any questions then of course I will answer them, these are just some things I could think of.
Reply 3
Thank you so much 😊
You shouldnt have mentioned Starbucks I might get more addicted and reliant on it lmaoo. How does maths work at hills?
Hope your exam went well and good luck to future ones xx
Reply 4
Original post by Trickia
Thank you so much 😊
You shouldnt have mentioned Starbucks I might get more addicted and reliant on it lmaoo. How does maths work at hills?
Hope your exam went well and good luck to future ones xx

So for single maths, you will have 4 timetabled lessons per week. You will typically be set one or two pieces of homework per week, and you will get something that they call a 'Recorded Assignment' assigned just before an end of term test - this is kind of like a practice test on topics that may come up in the forthcoming test. I'm not really sure what the teaching order will be since they switch it up every year, but you will do pure maths, stats (apart from hypothesis testing, stats in single maths really isn't hugely different to GCSE) and mechanics.

If you're thinking of taking Further Maths, I believe it works slightly different to how it worked for me. Now I think you start off with 6 lessons per week, moving on to 8 lessons per week after the Christmas holiday of Year 12. This then carries on until the end of Year 13. For new Year 12s, they are in separate single and further maths classes. I'm not entirely sure how they have separated the further maths modules now, since Year 12 furthers now do Discrete Maths, however I believe there is some sort of vote to choose whether they want to carry on doing Discrete, Stats or Mechanics (you have to do two of the three) as a cohort.

If you're struggling with maths at any point, there's a lot of options to take. We have drop in sessions at lunch where a Year 13 student can help you with any problems you're having in maths. Additionally, if you're underperforming in tests, you may be assigned a timetabled 'Maths Support' session. This really is just an opportunity to study maths for an hour, and if you're stuck, ask any of the Gap Year Maths Support Assistants for help - if you end up here in these sessions next year, I will be one of these people. Additionally, there are drop in sessions to see the Maths Support Assistants every period 5 (2:55 - 3:30) and these are open to everyone. We use Teams and in each team, there is also an option to ask maths questions and hopefully a peer or a teacher will pick up on it.

I think that just about covers everything, I hope this makes sense? It's been a long day so I don't know how to English anymore. Please do ask any other questions that you might have.
Reply 5
One more question how do the interviews work etc. (admissions process) I don't blame you it's all good, take a rest!
Unfortunately I'm just a year 10 so if I were to join it won't be until next year.
Thanks again the info was v helpful! If you don't mind I may ask questions in the near future but alls good now ty again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending