The Student Room Group

Any takers? Feeling alone...

Well like so many of you i'm holding out for the postlady to deliver me some news...an interview would be nice...or a friendly goodbye..which wouldn't be so nice.

I've applied to an alternate course and havn't come across anyone who has applied. It's the D104 at Nottingham with the prelim year...any takers?
I'm feeling slightly alone here especially when I havn't heard anything after the questionnaire.
I'm also curious as to whether the interviews will be identical or of a very similar nature to the normal vetmed interviews?
Well i'm not holding out much hope that anyone here has applied to the same course but if you have let me know :smile:

Scroll to see replies

hi rosie :smile:

i have. i'm applying as a graduate and didn't have the right subjects for the normal one (at A level, as i didn't do biology). i haven't heard anything yet either!! i was getting worried hearing people have had interviews... perhaps it is just because they sort out the D104 course after the other one.
let me know when you do hear though.. as will i!
Reply 2
Hi Hails,
that's a relief!I'm not alone anymore :smile:

I rang Nottingham earlier and was told that there was a delay and that they were sorting through letters, posting taking place towards the end of week...so I'm a little less worried now.

I see you've applied to Edinburgh and received a conditional offer - well done! Which university do you prefer to go to if it comes down to choosing?
aw cool that's good to know there's been delays. i feel a little more relaxed :smile: it's nice to find someone else who's applying to do it too.

tbh it's annoying i have to apply for the 6 year- i've done vast amounts of degree level biology, worked in research lab etc but just cos i didn't do it at a-level they're saying i have to do another year- it really sucks.
however notts has cheap fees, so it's probably worth it for the cost.

as for where to go, i'm honestly not sure! i never thought i would get a choice, and as it stands i still only do have one offer. but as a graduate, you have to pay full fees so i think it would have to be decided on cost of the course rather than which uni i prefer. sad really! what about you?

hails x
I am waiting for an interview letter from liverpool. I'm worried they think i don't want an interview because with my work exp questionnaire i put a note asking them not to interview me on 24 Jan as i have 2 exams then. i have emailed them about it but have had no reply yet. and the rvc haven't contacted me about interviews either, its worrying as i've been rejected once and don't want it to happen again!
Reply 5
I know it's a little annoying but for me it's my only choice as I don't have the necessary science A levels. I do have a lot of varied work experience though and my heart really is in this. It's frustrating because where I live, as a mature student, i only have one FE College for science A levels and it's unrealistic that I'd achieve the top grades there.

Out of interest what degree course are you currently on and how many years of it have you completed?

I understand about the fees and I'm sure you'll work out the best option.Like I said, I've only applied to Nottingham so no choices for me. Now that is sad!

Rosie
x
cool i didn't realise you were a mature student :smile:

i'm doing equine science (mainly just loads of biology and biochem!), i'm in my final year... i finish this may. i kow what you mean... my heart's really in it too and i've done my best to get all the w/e possible. well i hope nottingham accept you.... pray for me too as that's prob where i'll end up if they let me in :smile:
Reply 7
At least you were on a similar track to veterinary when you made the decision to take equine science.

Fingers crossed for both us - Can only be optimistic that interviews will be given.
Out of interest how many weeks do you have of w/e?

Rosie
x
yeah good luck to both of us!! definitely let me know when you hear anything! so what are you doing at the moment then?

hmm it's hard to say! some of it has been in weekends/days and it depends what you count as work experience.

weekends for 2 years at stables, 2 weeks different stables (though i had my own horse as well for 8 years), 2 weeks small animal practice, 1 month other small animal practice (and still go in the holidays- am working there at the moment), 1 week equine fertility clinic, 1 week zoo, 5 days mixed practice, 5 weekends horse stud, 1 day p/week for 1 term dairy farm, 3 months teaching horse riding and all barn duties in USA.
also done things like worked in microbiology research lab at uni and attended veterinary conferences with my course etc. dunno if this counts though :s-smilie:

also i've got lambing, blue cross and referral practice coming up :smile:
Reply 9
We seem to have very similar work experience.:smile:

At the moment I'm studying an A level in one year as well as working part time as a freelance webdesigner and a medical lab assistant at a veterinary lab. Knocks a lot of energy out of me but it's worth it.
Yeah I know what you mean... at the moment i'm working at the small animal practice, holding up a bar job AND writing my dissertation for uni. it's meant to be my xmas holidays- yeah right :biggrin:
Reply 11
well all I can say is that all of this hard work has to pay off in some way or another.:smile:

Which university are you at by the way?
yeah i hope so. i won't mind at all if it pays off. it's just a bit demoralising if it doesnt. i'm at oxford brookes uni. so glad i went there now.. i almost accepted offer from warwick uni to do chemistry, but i'm glad i did equine :smile:
just out of interest, is there any particular reason why you only applied to notts?
Reply 13
I don't have science A levels. That is my only reason & this is the only course that offers non related science subjects as a means to get on to a vetdegree.
As a mature student, the area that I live in has only 1 FE college available to me whereby I could study science A levels but it hasn't a strong reputation for high achieving and reasons to that effect. Therefore I opted for this approach.
ah i see. well i really hope you get accepted :smile: can't believe how long they're making us wait to find out about interviews! i wouldn't be so impatient it's just if i need to start getting the expensive fees for edinburgh i really need to know sooner rather than later , ha ha
Reply 15
Thanks, likewise with you :smile:

I've been a little impatient too recently, leaping down the stairs every morning to catch the letters mid flight as our postie pushes them through the letter box...
...some may replace 'impatient' with 'obsessive'
Reply 16
rosie86uk
Thanks, likewise with you :smile:

I've been a little impatient too recently, leaping down the stairs every morning to catch the letters mid flight as our postie pushes them through the letter box...
...some may replace 'impatient' with 'obsessive'

Ha ha! Glad to know it's not just me then - I'm sure our postman is going to request a transfer soon!
Miss Lisa
Ha ha! Glad to know it's not just me then - I'm sure our postman is going to request a transfer soon!

i don't think the vet schools know what we suffer waiting for their letters! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Minnie Magic
i don't think the vet schools know what we suffer waiting for their letters! :biggrin:

Oh I bet they do! That's why they do it :biggrin:
rosie86uk
Hi Hails,
that's a relief!I'm not alone anymore :smile:

I rang Nottingham earlier and was told that there was a delay and that they were sorting through letters, posting taking place towards the end of week...so I'm a little less worried now.

I see you've applied to Edinburgh and received a conditional offer - well done! Which university do you prefer to go to if it comes down to choosing?

Hi,
I was wondering if the delay is for the 6 year course? I applied to that one aswell as the 5 yr course and was wondering why no one seems to have heard from the D104 course?

Hayley x

Latest

Trending

Trending