The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
TKR
yeah i'd written a note about taking lots of ecstasy in the summer holidays :eek:

but it's fine though she understands youth culture

Mine has notes about DSU meetings and notes with poems about eating too much.

*sigh*
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
I've only written one note and it's one of those things: 'take the last 12 people who posted on your wall'...blah blah.
At John's its all down to CU.
Reply 43
Cu?
Crazypropaganda Union
Reply 45
Oh, right. That clears that up nicely. :confused:
Reply 46
Jelkin
Oh, right. That clears that up nicely. :confused:

Christian Union........
It should be clearer now. The one instance which really sticks in my mind, is a campaign the University CU ran last year called 'Rescue'. No, I don't want to be rescued from my own choice of life and lifestyle, thankyouverymuch.
Reply 48
I currently reside on butler exec. as soc. officer along with website, finance, green, publicity and mound magazine committees. Being involved in the JCR can be fun, but frustrating, like the fact that I barely sleep now and that it is very difficult to change the status quo with innovative projects. The only advice I would impart is just go for it, worry about not getting elected after you've tried to get elected. I was RON'd for one position (finance) but I got there in the end in a roundabout way, the important thing is that dont stay down after the first knock, brush yourself off and try again.
Reply 49
I emailed Matt yesterday about it and he emailed back. "...you are more than able to fulfil any role on the exec and I think you would be an asset to the college."

*swoon*

Matt is my idol. If he thinks I can do it...
Reply 50
TKR
yeah i'd written a note about taking lots of ecstasy in the summer holidays :eek:

lol! You shouldn't have put that on your facebook profile anyway!! :rolleyes: :p:

Chris
The one instance which really sticks in my mind, is a campaign the University CU ran last year called 'Rescue'. No, I don't want to be rescued from my own choice of life and lifestyle, thankyouverymuch.

Exactly! Grrr....they do a "special campaign" every year though, it's in the Epiphany Term, so get ready to be brainwashed again! :mad:
Reply 51
How can you have that strong a Status Quo on a college that's been open a month?
Reply 52
arkbar
How can you have that strong a Status Quo on a college that's been open a month?

"yea but every other college does it this way, so why change it?"
is a common argument to practically any new ideas.

Anyway, dont do it, the JCR will destroy your life, on a social and mental scale.
Reply 53
6+6=6
"yea but every other college does it this way, so why change it?"
is a common argument to practically any new ideas.

Anyway, dont do it, the JCR will destroy your life, on a social and mental scale.

Hahaha....I love it!! The fact that so many people were asked to move to Butler because "There are no traditions, it's all new so you will be part of building a completely new College - you can shape it to be what you want it to be!!"

...and now it's like "No, let's just do it like every other college" lol...surely no-one could believe that Butler was going to be completely different to every other college?!

And on the JCR thing - I wouldn't say don't join. If you really think you would enjoy the job go for it. Yeah it's stressful (although not Exec, I'm Tier 2, woo!) and I will be honest in saying it'll be good when I'm not the Shop Chairman anymore, it's a great experience and I have enjoyed it :smile:
I would absolutely recommend to anyone thinking of applying for an Exec position at their respective College to do it. The whole process, from application to handover at the end of a term represents excellent life experience, so even a failed application will I'm sure be found to hold it's benefits. I believe my experience has matured me as a person, exposed me to interesting and stimulating challenges and situations, and given me fantastic friends and social opportunities I simply would not otherwise have had. It's certainly hard work, but most things worth doing or achieving in life have an element of that involved.
Reply 55
ChrisH2107
I would absolutely recommend to anyone thinking of applying for an Exec position at their respective College to do it. The whole process, from application to handover at the end of a term represents excellent life experience, so even a failed application will I'm sure be found to hold it's benefits. I believe my experience has matured me as a person, exposed me to interesting and stimulating challenges and situations, and given me fantastic friends and social opportunities I simply would not otherwise have had. It's certainly hard work, but most things worth doing or achieving in life have an element of that involved.

I agree with this completely (rep given! :smile:) .....the fact that you have to get up in front of a couple of hundred people in formal and tell them why you should be put in charge of a significant chunk of college (whether it be the washing machines, the accounts, or the bar!) is just one thing that you won't really experience much, it's bloody scary I can tell you that but it's something great to have done! I've husted twice - the second time I wasn't nervous and just had a laugh, very relaxed...the first time I was crapping myself lol :rolleyes:

Plus, you get little perks like being invited to "pre-hust drinks" in the President's room, very nice! :wink:

Anyway - on the whole Exec/Committee thing, yes it's stressful, but as Chris says, it's damn rewarding and there are LOTS of "bonuses" that come out of it. Just for being on the Shop Committee for 2 years now I have:

- Been invited to numerous Pre-Formal cocktails with the Exec
- Been invited to the "President's Party" for anyone involved with running college - lots of free drink and food
- Been to a number of formals for free (even when living out) and been guaranteed a table with the committee

There are other advantages like:
- Getting to know college staff really well - everyone in Trevs knows Margaret in the kitchen, but few know the rest! I know them really well because I go every morning to collect milk, lol
- Being someone that people recognise and can go to to ask questions. Just because I'm the Shop Manager people regularly assume I know other random things - I get to learn the theme for balls before everyone else so we can do themed products hehe
- The best part of my job is when I meet representatives from places like GlaxoSmithKline (Lucozade & Ribena products) and I'm like "Hi I'm Kevin the Chairman of our shop" and they just look at you wondering how YOU run a shop. It's amazing the amount of respect you get given when people actually realise that you're a student AND do loads of extra work :smile:

Damnit....always a massively long post from me! :rolleyes:
Reply 56
The current treasurer replied to my email telling me that 2 other people have already asked him about it, so there is interest, and that last year it was one of the most popular positions. :frown: Makes me want to go for something different. I am crap at elections.
Reply 57
I bet they're astonished that a geordie can run a shop... :p:
Reply 58
arkbar
I bet they're astonished that a geordie can run a shop... :p:

Actually, the dude from Glaxo, after chatting to him for a while, I found out that he lives literally a 5 minute drive down the road from me in Newcastle. He drinks in the pub that I go to sometimes, haha! :biggrin:

Anyway, shush! You'll find that because we're working class we're good at things like general retailing - I worked in Morrisons don't you know!! :p: lol
Reply 59
Jelkin
The current treasurer replied to my email telling me that 2 other people have already asked him about it, so there is interest, and that last year it was one of the most popular positions. :frown: Makes me want to go for something different. I am crap at elections.

Why?!

Let's look at this:

1. You go against 2 other people, you lose. Oh well, there was a lot of competition, no problem for going for a different position.

2. You go against 2 other people, you win. Awesome - even in lots of competition!

3. You go against no other people, you lose to Re-Open Nominations! Gutted!

4. You go against no other people, you win. So what, there was no competition?!

SO, looking at it like that, it's ALWAYS better to go for the more competitive positions :biggrin: (but only when you look at it like that :wink:)

Latest