The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Uni societies

gonna start at the uni of bath this sept/oct and was wondering how many societies people usually join? I've seen a few that look pretty interesting but I know I can't do them all so how many do people usually do?
Hi im you normally have to pay fees to join societies so i guess it depends on how much money you have / willing to spend lol.

I never joined any societies, however the majority of people I know only join one or two.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by jellycat2004
Hi im you normally have to pay fees to join societies so i guess it depends on how much money you have / willing to spend lol.

I never joined any societies, however the majority of people I know only join one or two.

You don't have to attend all meetings right?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
You don't have to attend all meetings right?

Not at all, it's entirely your choice. I joined quite a few societies (my uni has a good choice of free/very cheap ones), but I have one main society and one main sports club, and just drop into the others once or twice a term when they have something particularly cool going on.
Reply 4
Original post by Interea
Not at all, it's entirely your choice. I joined quite a few societies (my uni has a good choice of free/very cheap ones), but I have one main society and one main sports club, and just drop into the others once or twice a term when they have something particularly cool going on.

Oh great! How expensive are these clubs usually?
Reply 5
Oh great! How expensive are these clubs usually?

It really varies by uni, but it seems like Bath run a system where you can buy a "Societies Area Membership" (can't currently see the full year price online, but my uni charges £23 for a similar thing and I think that's above the norm) and then can access a lot of societies for no extra cost, so it seems a good set-up for trying out lots of different ones. https://www.thesubath.com/socs/societymembership/

Sports clubs tend to be more expensive, but again Bath seem pretty cheap (relative to other unis, anyway!). Seems you buy a £30 "SU Sport Membership" and then it's £10 for each sports club you join. There are some extra fees depending on the sport and what you get involved with (e.g. BUCS) but overall it seems fair enough. https://www.thesubath.com/sport/costofsport/
gonna start at the uni of bath this sept/oct and was wondering how many societies people usually join? I've seen a few that look pretty interesting but I know I can't do them all so how many do people usually do?

I can see you've got some really good advice coving costs, meetings and the "bath student union" - I just want to add that during freshers week, most societies have multiple taster sessions WHICH ARE USUALLY FREE so its always a good idea to go to most and even try a new sport / activity (I tried fencing and lacrosse) as it gives you an insight into the society and their exec! You can most likely find more information on the individual society's Instagram pages AND feel free to drop them a message if you have any other questions . Furthermore, there is also a freshers fair at the start of uni which is a great way to see what societies are available and what they do throughout the year.

Hope this helped 😁
Shaheer (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest