The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I like it when RON wins. I think it's even funnier that RON beat someone in one of our elections by dint of the fact that the last guy actually forgot to vote for himself.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Mattmoy_2000
I like it when RON wins. I think it's even funnier that RON beat someone in one of our elections by dint of the fact that the last guy actually forgot to vote for himself.

It's probably one of the most humiliating things that can happen to you within College. Fortunately, it's never (and never will...) happened to me, yay :biggrin:
Reply 62
Happened to my friend Jethro...and the next person to stand got it on a general aye!

See, the thing is, I don't think I've EVER won an election. I wasn't a Senior Badge Holder, I wasn't a Prefect, I didn't get Junior Environment Rep, I didn't get Keeper of the College Chastity and the only reason I'm in DSU is because no one else wanted to be! :frown:

*radiates general inadequacy*
Reply 63
Jelkin
Happened to my friend Jethro...and the next person to stand got it on a general aye!

See, the thing is, I don't think I've EVER won an election. I wasn't a Senior Badge Holder, I wasn't a Prefect, I didn't get Junior Environment Rep, I didn't get Keeper of the College Chastity and the only reason I'm in DSU is because no one else wanted to be! :frown:

*radiates general inadequacy*

Aw :frown:

But it's all experience isn't it? Anyway, aren't you in 1st year? It's very hard (mostly) for 1st years to get positions within college, probably even harder in large colleges like HB.

Anyway, the only way you can succeed is to try. So what if you fail? At least you tried - that's better than most people do - there are loads of people in colleges who would "like to" be in certain positions, but they're just too scared of going for them.

As long as you're cool about it, and don't let it get to you, then there's nothing wrong with not being elected. I'll (somehow) vote for you! :biggrin: lol
Isn't being keeper of the chastity a Bad Thing?
Reply 65
Nah - you don't have to do anything, you just get your name written down in a book somewhere. It's a tradition more than anything. The questions we got asked whilst husting were pretty funny, including: "If you had to use a fruit as a contraceptive, what would it be?" (I said "pineapple". It didn't go down well); "I don't know what lube is and I'm assuming you don't either, standing for such a chaste position. What would YOU use lube for?"...etc.
Reply 66
Jelkin
"I don't know what lube is and I'm assuming you don't either, standing for such a chaste position. What would YOU use lube for?"...etc.

And your answer was.....?

When husting for Services I got asked to demonstrate the movements of a washing machine through the medium of dance. Sigh :redface:
Reply 67
Um, I don't remember. Hair grease? Lip gloss? I definitely said something about bicycle grease, but that was after my first (much better) answer. Maybe to use so you can slide down things or something.
I think a pineapple would be a pretty good deterrent to any lusty young man.

In my informal hustings, I got asked (because the DSU is notoriously uncool) to demonstrate my coolness by rapping about how much I like the Union. Oh dear.
durhamdosser
I think a pineapple would be a pretty good deterrent to any lusty young man.

In my informal hustings, I got asked (because the DSU is notoriously uncool) to demonstrate my coolness by rapping about how much I like the Union. Oh dear.

I remember that :smile:
Reply 70
I hope I didn't make you feel bad then Jess, by explaining how I have won 4 elections for positions in Durham, 2 contested... and only ever husted once.

Lol.

I am hoping to hust to be on the exec next year, because I would HEART being chair of the JCR. But if someone ubercool went for it, I would be totally screwed!
Reply 71
:frown:
Reply 72
Right, people! I am definitely standing for Treasurer. Hild Beders, who is with me??? I have to get my manifesto in on Thursday and hust on Sunday, after which I start my massive propaganda and subliminal messaging campaign. Any Hild Beders here should come to watch my hust (which will hopefully persuade people that doing a maths degree is NOT exactly compatible with being a good treasurer, as I know everyone will assume thus and the other 2 candidates are mathmos). Any more advice, anyone?
Reply 73
Be prepared for weird and embarrassing questions, and people asking you to do strange things like kiss someone you really may not want to kiss...
A certain Mr. Stephenson perhaps?
Reply 75
Mattmoy_2000
A certain Mr. Stephenson perhaps?

He did spring to mind, yes. :biggrin:
Reply 76
*doesn't get it and feels like that kid who never gets jokes*

Ha ha ha! Ahem.

Hmmm. I don't think there will be those kind of questions at Hild Bede ... I think exec positions are taken quite seriously. This evening I was talking to guy in the bar and when I told him Jess Clempner was standing as well he said, "oh, she'll definitely get it ... I mean, she's hot!" So now not only is my confidence knocked re: Exec elections, but I feel ugly as well. :frown:
Jelkin
*doesn't get it and feels like that kid who never gets jokes*

Ha ha ha! Ahem.

Hmmm. I don't think there will be those kind of questions at Hild Bede ... I think exec positions are taken quite seriously. This evening I was talking to guy in the bar and when I told him Jess Clempner was standing as well he said, "oh, she'll definitely get it ... I mean, she's hot!" So now not only is my confidence knocked re: Exec elections, but I feel ugly as well. :frown:

Looked her up on facebook. You're hotter.
Reply 78
I heart you. By the way, I found photos of us together, from after that formal you came to, on Facebook. Meant to tag them but forgot. Will do soon.
Reply 79
I like cats.

Latest