The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

QI Elf
What a put down!!!! lol

I do agree with what you say about the chavs wearing it though. I mean in town you do see loads of chavs wearing it and it makes me a bit annoyed but think that if they want to buy/ wear it them they shouldn't really be stopped. Free country et all. But it could become sort of a low budget Burberry- look how chavs ruined that.

But I think if you wear it in a non chavvy way then it's ok and people will know you're not chavvy. I mean you can tell a chav, you just can't tell him much!

:ditto: I agree. Ah well. It's obvious who really is a chav and who isn't so i wont worry just yet.
Reply 201
minimo
i thought chavs tended to wear fake burberry and I don't really think burberry's been ruined by chavs at all really. I mean you don't see chavs in burberry trenches etc. Just stuff with that plaid print.

I agree, I love Burberry. Fair enough, the nova checked handbags etc are a thing of the past, but older stylish ladies can pull them off without looking chavvy, and I myself wouldn't trade my Burberry swing coat in for the world! People will always say, 'oh no, that's Burberry you chav', but they're simply being narrow minded. Yes, the nova check has become a no no, but the rest of the brand is perfectly fine, with the trenches in particular :love:
Reply 202
Why would you want to be a clone of the person standing next to you? Goes as much for the faux-indie kids who think that wearing the topman catalogue makes them alternative as it does for Jack Wills...
QI Elf
Trent College? Aristocratic? Hardly. Most of the people I know who go there only are there because they failed the Nottingham High Schools' entrance examinations. True.

I don't really appricate this. Concidering I myself come from public school, wear a fair amount of JW and am attending trent this coming October. I don't think you can be so quick to judge as a whole.. I'm going there as its great for art.. and i don't come from Nottingham but the south. Personally think it will be brilliant and not to bothered if the majority arn't all top brand wearing 'rah's' i would rather meet some new, 'average' people on the whole anyway. Thanks
Reply 204
27Charlie27
I don't really appricate this. Concidering I myself come from public school, wear a fair amount of JW and am attending trent this coming October. I don't think you can be so quick to judge as a whole.. I'm going there as its great for art.. and i don't come from Nottingham but the south. Personally think it will be brilliant and not to bothered if the majority arn't all top brand wearing 'rah's' i would rather meet some new, 'average' people on the whole anyway. Thanks

I'm sorry, but looking at your profile I think you have confused Trent College, the private boarding school in Nottingham (to which I was referring to) with Nottingham Trent Uni to where I believe you are heading in October.

I was pointing out that the people I know who have gone (or currently still do go) to Trent College (the school) only went there because they failed to get into the better Nottingham High Schools.

I was not referring to NUT at all, and I admit, from what I have heard, it is very good for art.
Ah ok, i guess mis-reading on my behalf. Sorry for the mix up.. I personally have no idea what so ever about Trent college as i have never heard of it in my life so that's all good. Charlie x
Reply 206
It does seem like this kind of stuff is being worn more (e.g. the "JW" and "WILLS" emblazoned on various shirts and hoodies etc) and it seems like it is being worn for the brand and also echoes "wannabe" sentiments. And I don't really wear any of this kind of stuff :tongue:
overpriced, and i'm not sure why.

there are a number of better brands who sell similar products for cheaper.
Reply 208
TheLouisVuittonDon
overpriced, and i'm not sure why.

there are a number of better brands who sell similar products for cheaper.

whooo, tell me now
See it much more now in town, mainly worn by 13 yr old chavs rather than 16-20 yr old public schoolies/uni students as in the past
it's pretty lulz
i prefer the Irish preppy look myself.
Not a fanatic but wouldn't say no to it! I do like the jackets, hoodies, joggers and a few items but way way overpriced. Also I'd rather have a (nicer and more classic!) Ralph Lauren polo/jumper for way less than JW charges.

200 ish for a jacket (admittedly very hot stripy blazer!) that's not even from a proper designer?! Umm, rather have a 200 quid Karen Millen/Diesel jacket thanks!

I do buy some items e.g. joggers when on sale only!

The bras are horrendous looking and look like they'd offer no support/shape.

Plus the bags are quite naff, um I'd rather have a designer bag thanks! Would wear pretty much everything else, bar a few funny shaped tops.

Sizes are quite generous imho. Size 8 is standard/biggish cf other brands.

There is something of a JW obsession in St Andies...
Ah, Jack Wills. Personally I like the clothes, but hate the stigma and negativity that's attached to them. If you look on the website it calls itself a stupid "lifestyle brand" which basically means it aims at one kind of person, and it's that kind of person that people don't like, regardless of the fact that they epicly fail at appealing to the market, and also at being "upper class or distinctive". The kids who wear the annoying stuff (eg. t-shirts with "jack wills" on them, and tracksuits with "jack wills" on them) are usually 12/13 year old spoilt kids; who make up the vast majority of the "jack wills forum" on their website. The fact is, Jack Wills isn't overpriced, it's overmarketed. It costs barely more than cothing from superdry £40 shirt, £30 tshirt £60 hoodie, and yet no-one has this kind of problem with them. I don't get it personally.

Aslong as you approach Jack Willls tastefully it's not an issue, I own a coat and two pairs of jeans, I see no problem with that. It's just the kids who go in there (mostly in the sales) with the sole intention of purchasing as much blatant jack wills items as possible, that annoy people yeh? tbh I don't understand this much, do people have a problem with;
a) kids being rich
b) rich kids wearing jack wills
c) poor kids wearing jack wills to look rich
d) jack wills

anyone?
the people who are generally against jack wills are those who can't afford it, and so are bitchy and bitter against it.
ouch.
Reply 214
This is the worst thing about Jack Wills. It's not British style, it is American country club style. English style has always been about cut, quality and a certain eccentricity. Jack Wills is essentially an exact copy of Abercrombie, an American staple, and has nothing like the individuality of the small outfitters that have always defined English style.

The aesthetics of the brand are a matter of opinion, I personally don't like them, but whether you like or dislike them you can't say that they are true British style when the inspiration is so clearly American.

^ There's so many things wrong with this post i barely know where to start. Firstly Jack Wills is the epitomy of British style, how on earth is it a copy of abercrombie? The traditional shirts, prints and classic british quality are what defines it. i think you're writing from a biased point of view from someone who obviously has very limited knowledge of fashion or it's origins. Frankly if you don't know what you're talking about i think you should just keep quiet.
Reply 215
StotheL
I agree, I love Burberry. Fair enough, the nova checked handbags etc are a thing of the past, but older stylish ladies can pull them off without looking chavvy, and I myself wouldn't trade my Burberry swing coat in for the world! People will always say, 'oh no, that's Burberry you chav', but they're simply being narrow minded. Yes, the nova check has become a no no, but the rest of the brand is perfectly fine, with the trenches in particular :love:

This is so true, Burberry is a well established British name and the real Burberry designs are nothing like the disgusting imitations chavs pull of. i say wear it with pride!

Latest