The Student Room Group

Should I do 4 A-levels and an EPQ?

I'm starting year 12 and I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and English language. I'm wondering how important it is I do an EPQ, will universities like Oxbridge consider me without one?
Reply 1
Original post by shiny467
I'm starting year 12 and I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and English language. I'm wondering how important it is I do an EPQ, will universities like Oxbridge consider me without one?

They don't care.Cambridge are even saying just take 3 Alevels They just want good grades and a passion for the subject.What subject?Also look into super curriculars in your area of interest.So Maths competions for Mathematics etc.They also care about entrance exam scores.
(edited 7 months ago)

my school make everyone do it 💔💔💔 im doing 4 as well but u can get ucas points from it but in my opinion I don’t think oxbridge will care that much maybe do some more super curricular to show ur passion for whatever u want to do ??
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
They don't care.Cambridge are even saying just take 3 Alevels They just want good grades and a passion for the subject.What subject?Also look into super curriculars in your area of interest.So Maths competions for Mathematics etc.They also care about entrance exam scores.

I'm thinking engineering, I'm not sure what super curriculars to do besides reading books.
Reply 4
I'm thinking engineering, I'm not sure what super curriculars to do besides reading books.

@Saracen's Fez can you help out here?
Original post by Scotney
@Saracen's Fez can you help out here?

A good question not really my wheelhouse but potentially something practical???

I'd have a look in the TSR PS library for more ideas!
Reply 6

Not important. But it is a good first-hand experience writing a research project and will prepare you for your dissertation at university.
Reply 7

@Muttley79 any suggestions?
Reply 8

As you are doing 4 A-levels, I would not recommend doing an EPQ, as you will not have enough spare time to do super curriculars, entrance exams prep, interview prep and all the other things you need to get into oxbridge.
Reply 9
I'm starting year 12 and I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and English language. I'm wondering how important it is I do an EPQ, will universities like Oxbridge consider me without on

I wouldn't do an EPQ as well as 4 A levels. However for Engineering you would be wise to look beyond Oxbridge - a degree with a year in industry is preferable.
Reply 11

Take a look at super curricular suggestions that Cambridge provide for a plethora of fields...
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions_0.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest