The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm afraid that the 6A* thing is true - the department told me this!
BUT someone I know managed to transfer into the department (from a pretty unrelated, sciencey subject) with much less than that.
Apply... if you don't try, then you definitely won't be getting an offer from them!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Mattmoy_2000
That's quite frankly rubbish.

I heard it directly from the Durham history department - well not the actual number - but that "a significant number of A*s are required" - so tell them it's rubbish...
Oh **** off.
Learn to ***cing type English too.
Its disgraceful thatyou should come onto this thread and try and misinform people about important decisions that theyre making.

It's
that you
into
try to ("try and" is meaningless)
they're
Maybe when you've been through the admissions process and watched 3 years of people go through it you'll be qualified to criticise me so wantonly offensively, in the mean time, STFU.
You think I'd deliberately try to stop people from making informed choices? Why the hell have I been helping other people on here for the last three years if I just wanted to cause mischief? I've NEVER heard of an academic department using GCSEs as a selection measure (not even in Oxford/Cambridge), despite the worried VI formers who come on here every September-January time having heard some urban myth like "such-and-such department only gives offers to people with 19 A*s at GCSE" or "You can only do physics if you got EP in Science at KS3 SATS", so it's a perfectly reasonable response to tell people that it's rubbish, because, despite what you've heard, it probably actually is.
EDIT: It was me who gave you the negative rep. I'm not gonna be some coward who doesn't admit it, and you're the first person who I have given it too (as far as my memory stretches).
Mattmoy_2000
Learn to ***cing type English too.

It's
that you
into
try to ("try and" is meaningless)
they're
Maybe when you've been through the admissions process and watched 3 years of people go through it you'll be qualified to criticise me so wantonly offensively, in the mean time, STFU.
You think I'd deliberately try to stop people from making informed choices? Why the hell have I been helping other people on here for the last three years if I just wanted to cause mischief? I've NEVER heard of an academic department using GCSEs as a selection measure (not even in Oxford/Cambridge), despite the worried VI formers who come on here every September-January time having heard some urban myth like "such-and-such department only gives offers to people with 19 A*s at GCSE" or "You can only do physics if you got EP in Science at KS3 SATS", so it's a perfectly reasonable response to tell people that it's rubbish, because, despite what you've heard, it probably actually is.
EDIT: It was me who gave you the negative rep. I'm not gonna be some coward who doesn't admit it, and you're the first person who I have given it too (as far as my memory stretches).

Hmm well maybe thats fair enough. Truth is Im fed up with people denying the existence of such tariffs (whether they be indefinitely set in stone or not) when I have had contact with the admissions people at Durham, as have my teachers, and headteacher at school last year. Thats the reason why i feel Im able to comment accurately on whether or not this is indeed an urban myth or not etc.

On the other hand I can understand that youre fed up with people coming on here with fallacious myths and misinformation, and you want to try and stamp that out so people get to know the truth about their applications, and for that I credit you, and apologise for misrepresenting your intentions.

EDIT: fair comment about grammar and typos, but what the heck - its the net.:rolleyes:
Spell that back to me **********.

It was a typo, which I left because I thought it might avoid the censors. Apparently
Fl
Ul
Kl
is censored though.
Don't you know that I'm the grammar policeman around here?
Oh, I assume the lovely rep with the censored message is from you?
Reply 27
Anyway, back on topic.

The Durham History website (http://www.dur.ac.uk/history/undergraduate/admissions/) says:

"We look for good GCSE results (As with a substantial number of A*s) and good levels or forecasts at A2, with a strong personal statement and reference. We are currently making offers at AAA in A levels."

However, if you want to go there apply - you never know, you might get an offer.
6+6=6
Stop being such a ****, he's right, Durham History department do employ a boundary with regards to GCSE's, its just another means of filtering out candidates and to my knowldege, they are the only department in Durham that do ~ 6+6=6

EDIT: 6+6=6 - Did you read the original post, which I quoted part of above and which has now been deleted?
I wasn't having a go at the people who said I was wrong, I was having a go at the guy who implied that I'd deliberately misled people.
go to university college
:smile:
emilyxx
o godd guyss :frown: now im really freeked out so does GCSE count?? acutually if anyone has gotten into durham with 2 or below *'s pls tell me or idk anything :frown:

I spoke to Law admissions over the 'phone yesterday about bringing up my certification, and the lady in charge explicitly told me they don't care about GCSEs unles they're "all Es and Fs". She said it's all down to A levels.
Danny_777
I spoke to Law admissions over the 'phone yesterday about bringing up my certification, and the lady in charge explicitly told me they don't care about GCSEs unles they're "all Es and Fs". She said it's all down to A levels.

Yeah but that is for Law, admissions policy will be very subject dependent.
Reply 32
:s-smilie: so durham doesnt look at gcse for law but they do for history? okay :s-smilie: thanks :smile:

Latest