The Student Room Group

Is grammar school better than private school for A levels

I have to choose between two sixth forms and I'm finding it seriously hard.

Sixth form A is a private school, where I have a 25% music scholarship. It's called eltham college if anyone knows it. My younger brother also goes there and we don't get on particularly well. I know some people from my school who are going, and it's about a ten minute drive from my house. However my scholarship isn't particularly big, and I don't like some of the people I know are going there or who are there.

Sixth form B is a very good selective grammar school, which I didn't expect to get into at all- St olaves. My best friend also got in and is going, and she lives opposite the school so I could go to hers after school. It's further away that A, and I don't know anyone who's going. I'm totally unsure of which to choose
to be honest, i'd pick whichever sixth form has a higher education level. if you're going to a private or grammar sixth form you should be prepared to work harder as someone else going to a state school with the same a level results would be chosen over you. if you plan to go to sixth form A then you can use your scholarship to your advantage making sure you get a lot out of it to prove you're not only academic and can balance it. it's a given that you won't like some people there but that really shouldn't influence your choice as long as you're focused. as for sixth form B, you need to think about whether the journey is worth it. going to either school will mainly depend on yourself and how much work you put in plus you have your friend alongside. personally i'd chose the grammar school, you don't want unnecessary conflicts with certain people, but if you think that those people won't affect you much then perhaps it is better for you
I personally would choose the private school because my experience between the two has meant that i prefer private schools but if you know people at school A then i would choose to start fresh.
No joke, I'm in the exact same situation. Which one did you choose in the end and do you regret it?
Reply 4
Original post by userchi073727
No joke, I'm in the exact same situation. Which one did you choose in the end and do you regret it?

which one did you choose in the end?
Reply 5
St Olaves has better results at A level overall than Eltham College. It has orchestras and other music groups plus many clubs and societies. It has a good rugby record. However it can’t compete with the facilities at Eltham College for the variety of sports, swimming pool etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending