The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham for Chemistry

Hey wondered what people thought of Chemistry at Durham?
What unis would you say were better than it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chem@uni
bump

I think Durham does pretty well for chemistry in the league tables.

Is there anything specific about the course you want to know?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
In first year, there are two main chemistry modules, Core 1A and Core 1B, which have accompanying Practical Modules.

Core 1A is done by everyone doing any sort of chemistry, natsci or otherwise, and 1B is just done by people doing a Chemistry degree afaik.

1A contains all the organic, thermo, kinetics, spectroscopy, periodicity and most of the inorganic. Think of it your general chemistry module.

1B contains all the Maths, Physics, Electrochemistry, as well as Physical Organic (ugh), some Inorganic.

I loved 1A. It was well explained and taught by great professors. I genuinely looked forward to coming into the next 1A lecture.

1B on the other hand can go die in a hole. I loathed the module, and dreaded coming in to lectures on a Monday morning. Some people just click with it and do fantastic in it, while other people (most) scrape by. If you like physics and maths a lot, you'll be fine, otherwise you've gotten yourself into a tonne of work. There are a few people each year who switch from pure chemistry to Natsci because they just can't deal with 1B, and I don't blame them.

Quick Reply

Latest