The Student Room Group

year 13 - diary

trying to motivate myself to revise...
Reply 1
I am in Year 13... not fun... and do the bare minimum. I have always had high aspirations, but never actually put much work into achieving my goals. I ended up getting A*A*AA predicted grades, which were very aspirational, and promised my teachers to work hard to get them. I have not been keeping this promise. So now, I am trying my all to get myself to revise and keep the motivation going. This thread will be something of a diary to keep myself a.) sane, and b.) inspired. That's if I remember to update it.

I have just sorted out about 500 (at least) sheets of paper into some folders, and feeling ready for the year. Lets hope I can keep it up!
Reply 2
Oh forgot to mention, I'm studying Biology Chemistry, Maths and Physics. I'm applying for Physics at Exeter, Lancaster, Royal Holloway and Durham. And, I'm applying for Physical Natural Sciences at Cambridge (icl I have no clue why I applied there). Flopped the NSAA, but don't mind as my dream Uni is Durham (it's so gorg)!
Reply 3
Today, I did a Chemistry past paper, and barely scraped an A. It's frustrating because I feel like I'm limited to a total mark of around 50, and I have now done around 7 past papers. So, I have written down everything from these papers in which I did not get full marks: let's hope I improve! I also did a bit of Maths and a little Biology too. It felt like a full day, but I barely did anything now looking back on it... Oh well, tomorrow will be better!
Reply 4
i havent touched 50 percent in any maths test and I get what you mean by being limited to certain marks
Original post by ramare23
i havent touched 50 percent in any maths test and I get what you mean by being limited to certain marks

which exam board
Reply 6
Original post by Shadowblade11
which exam board

edexcel
Original post by ramare23
edexcel

same.
I also agree that it is extremely difficult
Oh wow, its been a long time - so much for the diary idea HAHA!! I'll try and post more frequently in the leadup to exams to keep the motivation up. No promises though.

So.. an update since I last posted (5 months ago...oops):

I got into everywhere apart from Cambridge!! DURHAM HERE I COME!

I applied for the Cern-Solvay summer camp!

my January mocks did not go very well (A in biology, B in Physics and Maths, and C in Chemistry)

I got into a heated discussion with my parents about dropping Chemistry, which I did not want to do and I said I was not going to (much to their discontent)

I started a YouTube channel! And then a week after got told by my mum to stop HAHAH - I'll be resuming after A-levels

I did not get into the Cern-Solvay summer camp, and then decided to apply for a summer placement at both Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and Daresbury Laboratory

I went to the Exeter offer-holder day and decided, whilst it was a gorgeous campus and I could very well see myself there, that it was just full of too many posh people and the accommodation was pretty expensive for me.

my March mocks went better than the January Mocks ( A star (only just) in Biology, A in maths, B in Physics (overall, including the January papers, however I got an A star in the paper I sat for the mocks) and a B in Chemistry

I asked my school whether I could take a premature study leave due to home circumstances, and my mother having another baby! They said no.

I decided to take the study leave anyway. I've been at my grandparents since the start of Easter and am going to be down here until THE EXAMS START!!!

I started and finished my school yearbook (with the other members of the slt) in about 5 hours (stress)

I MANAGED TO GET TWENTY ONE PILOTS TICKETS

I realised that my offer from Lancaster Uni was the same as my Durham offer - I thought it was AAB, but it turned out to be AAA, so now I'm in a really hard position of what to put for my insurance!

I got into the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Work Experience scheme thingy!!!!

That's all the key updates I have, and I've really just been doing a lot of work. I find my grandparents house to be very good for studying.

Now, onto my aims. So, my extremely unrealistic goals are to get 100% in each exam. Now I know this is incredibly unlikely (and almost impossible), HOWEVER, aiming for a percentage goal, rather than a letter goal is much more useful for me, as it allows me to see little improvements in my tests, and gives me a lot more leeway. The grades I would be happy with, and my (slightly more) realistic goals are:

A* in Biology

A* in Maths

A/A* in Physics

A in Chem

Obviously, I'd love A*'s across the board, but like my 100% goal, its just not realistic LMAO! In any case, I'll be happy with whatever grades I get in the end, as long as I can say that I've done my best. Well, maybe not happy. But content. Those words mean the same thing, don't they? HAHAHAH
Original post by sadfailure
Oh wow, its been a long time - so much for the diary idea HAHA!! I'll try and post more frequently in the leadup to exams to keep the motivation up. No promises though.
So.. an update since I last posted (5 months ago...oops):

I got into everywhere apart from Cambridge!! DURHAM HERE I COME!

I applied for the Cern-Solvay summer camp!

my January mocks did not go very well (A in biology, B in Physics and Maths, and C in Chemistry)

I got into a heated discussion with my parents about dropping Chemistry, which I did not want to do and I said I was not going to (much to their discontent)

I started a YouTube channel! And then a week after got told by my mum to stop HAHAH - I'll be resuming after A-levels

I did not get into the Cern-Solvay summer camp, and then decided to apply for a summer placement at both Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and Daresbury Laboratory

I went to the Exeter offer-holder day and decided, whilst it was a gorgeous campus and I could very well see myself there, that it was just full of too many posh people and the accommodation was pretty expensive for me.

my March mocks went better than the January Mocks ( A star (only just) in Biology, A in maths, B in Physics (overall, including the January papers, however I got an A star in the paper I sat for the mocks) and a B in Chemistry

I asked my school whether I could take a premature study leave due to home circumstances, and my mother having another baby! They said no.

I decided to take the study leave anyway. I've been at my grandparents since the start of Easter and am going to be down here until THE EXAMS START!!!

I started and finished my school yearbook (with the other members of the slt) in about 5 hours (stress)

I MANAGED TO GET TWENTY ONE PILOTS TICKETS

I realised that my offer from Lancaster Uni was the same as my Durham offer - I thought it was AAB, but it turned out to be AAA, so now I'm in a really hard position of what to put for my insurance!

I got into the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Work Experience scheme thingy!!!!

That's all the key updates I have, and I've really just been doing a lot of work. I find my grandparents house to be very good for studying.
Now, onto my aims. So, my extremely unrealistic goals are to get 100% in each exam. Now I know this is incredibly unlikely (and almost impossible), HOWEVER, aiming for a percentage goal, rather than a letter goal is much more useful for me, as it allows me to see little improvements in my tests, and gives me a lot more leeway. The grades I would be happy with, and my (slightly more) realistic goals are:

A* in Biology

A* in Maths

A/A* in Physics

A in Chem

Obviously, I'd love A*'s across the board, but like my 100% goal, its just not realistic LMAO! In any case, I'll be happy with whatever grades I get in the end, as long as I can say that I've done my best. Well, maybe not happy. But content. Those words mean the same thing, don't they? HAHAHAH

Hi I typed in Lancaster in the search and found your year 13 blog 🙂 .
I help out on the Lancaster forum, since my daughter is a year 4 physicist there and going onto Manchester for her phd in research in neutrino physics at the NEXT experiment.
I do also have a blog on here as well with open days we did, and the first year at uni when she updated us with her time there.
She applied to Oxford, Lancaster York and Leicester. She did look at Durham but at the time chose Lancaster for two courses as back then it would advertise as physics particle physics and cosmology(she took)/ physics with astrophysics. It all comes under the word physics now and branded that way, but the module choices are the same, so she went through the particle physics route and cosmology.

She didnt get into Oxford, she got as far as interviews. She did UNIQ, and a work placement at nottingham uni in particle and you did really well getting to Rutherford :smile: . She did maths fm, chem and physics and same, she nearly dropped chemistry, but glad she kept it. She just did not put in as much time in as the other three.

Regarding Lancaster, the physics dept has been an absolute godsend. She got onto her supervisor regarding a internship in first year. usually no-one gets an internship in first years but she perservered and they said theres an unpaid one remotely for 2 weeks so she did that in tau neutrinos (with DUNE). Second year she got a paid on in the summer on proton decay, also through the uni (DUNE).
Second year was a tough year for her physically and mentally so her grades suffered. no fault of the uni or her, but it was just one of those things where she was tired all the time and there was a physical reason for it. So she got a 2;2. But she sorted herself out over the summer on new medication, and she spoke to her supervisor, head of department and they worked with her all of third year, having regular meetings checking in how she was doing, anything she was struggling in, improving exam techniques, the lot. And she came out with a first, and is averaging on a 2:1 now. So in terms of support, Lancaster has been amazing in the physics department. And they also helped with her applications for her phds as well.

Physics has gone into clearing every year at Lancaster but it does get snapped up quick though. within a day they are gone.
These were last years clearing grades as I copied and pasted them onto my blog, however it is subject to change every year. So should you choose elsewhere and not get in, Lancaster is worth taking a look.
Physics : BSc Hons : F300 - ABC
Physics : MPhys Hons : F303 - ABB
Physics with Astrophysics : BSc Hons : F3FM - ABC
Physics with Astrophysics : MPhys : F3F5 - ABB
(edited 1 week ago)
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi I typed in Lancaster in the search and found your year 13 blog 🙂 .
I help out on the Lancaster forum, since my daughter is a year 4 physicist there and going onto Manchester for her phd in research in neutrino physics at the NEXT experiment.
I do also have a blog on here as well with open days we did, and the first year at uni when she updated us with her time there.
She applied to Oxford, Lancaster York and Leicester. She did look at Durham but at the time chose Lancaster for two courses as back then it would advertise as physics particle physics and cosmology(she took)/ physics with astrophysics. It all comes under the word physics now and branded that way, but the module choices are the same, so she went through the particle physics route and cosmology.
She didnt get into Oxford, she got as far as interviews. She did UNIQ, and a work placement at nottingham uni in particle and you did really well getting to Rutherford :smile: . She did maths fm, chem and physics and same, she nearly dropped chemistry, but glad she kept it. She just did not put in as much time in as the other three.
Regarding Lancaster, the physics dept has been an absolute godsend. She got onto her supervisor regarding a internship in first year. usually no-one gets an internship in first years but she perservered and they said theres an unpaid one remotely for 2 weeks so she did that in tau neutrinos (with DUNE). Second year she got a paid on in the summer on proton decay, also through the uni (DUNE).
Second year was a tough year for her physically and mentally so her grades suffered. no fault of the uni or her, but it was just one of those things where she was tired all the time and there was a physical reason for it. So she got a 2;2. But she sorted herself out over the summer on new medication, and she spoke to her supervisor, head of department and they worked with her all of third year, having regular meetings checking in how she was doing, anything she was struggling in, improving exam techniques, the lot. And she came out with a first, and is averaging on a 2:1 now. So in terms of support, Lancaster has been amazing in the physics department. And they also helped with her applications for her phds as well.
Physics has gone into clearing every year at Lancaster but it does get snapped up quick though. within a day they are gone.
These were last years clearing grades as I copied and pasted them onto my blog, however it is subject to change every year. So should you choose elsewhere and not get in, Lancaster is worth taking a look.
Physics : BSc Hons : F300 - ABC
Physics : MPhys Hons : F303 - ABB
Physics with Astrophysics : BSc Hons : F3FM - ABC
Physics with Astrophysics : MPhys : F3F5 - ABB

Thank you so much for this Ghostlady! Your daughter sounds awesome, I bet you're extremely proud of her! I'm doing a similar thing regarding Chemistry, hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me on results day. I think I am going to put Lancaster as my insurance choice, because from what you've said about the clearing grades, it looks as though they would accept me if I didn't quite get the 3 A's I need. I did like Lancaster a lot, and I think this has solidified my choice - thank you again!
Ok so today's update: it's been pretty productive so far! I did A LOT of diffraction stuff in the morning, and then went on to do some maths. I think I'm going to hone in on Physics and Maths the most, considering that's where I really want to get the A*s.

I have a Freddie Mercury poster in my study and I genuinely have the most love-hate relationship with it ever: on the one hand I get to see Freddie everyday (and I also got the thing for 99p down from £15), but on the other it's really showing me how little time I have left. I'm so scared and yet so ready to do these exams.

I have such a toxic habit of watching A-level exam vlogs and A-level results day vlogs and its slowly killing from the inside... It's so weird because its so motivating and yet so demotivating at the same time HAHA.

I'm also stuck - do I start more past papers now, or leave it for maybe 2 more weeks until I have gone over most of the content again? I don't want to waste these papers, but at the same time I also don't want to leave it too late.... AHHH!! I'm sure I'll figure things out.. well... I hope at least... (why is this paragraph formatted weird LMAO)

I hope I haven't depressed you all too much HAHAHAHAHAH! (when I say you all I really mean like the one or two people who accidently click on this heheh)
Original post by sadfailure
Thank you so much for this Ghostlady! Your daughter sounds awesome, I bet you're extremely proud of her! I'm doing a similar thing regarding Chemistry, hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me on results day. I think I am going to put Lancaster as my insurance choice, because from what you've said about the clearing grades, it looks as though they would accept me if I didn't quite get the 3 A's I need. I did like Lancaster a lot, and I think this has solidified my choice - thank you again!

Your welcome 🙂 . Should you not quite get the grades, its always worth checking out on their webpage and giving them a call. I am very proud of her 🙂 I hope you get into durham though with it being your first choice :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Your welcome 🙂 . Should you not quite get the grades, its always worth checking out on their webpage and giving them a call. I am very proud of her 🙂 I hope you get into durham though with it being your first choice :smile:

Thank you!
Hello guys, trying to keep up the consistency! The past 2 days have been alright, for some reason I'm extremely productive in the morning and then immediately after lunch I'm just dead. Like zero motivation, on my phone all the time... etc etc. And with under 2 months to go, I really do NOT have the time for this. And the worst part is that I'm well aware of this, but continue on in my ways. I can only hope that I finally take this more seriously in the next few days!

So next week is not going to be a productive week - which is very scary. Firstly, I'm going back to my parents house for the week, as I need to finish my Chemistry practical competency on the Tuesday, and then a DEI conference on the Wednesday. And then on the Friday I'm going up to Durham (BY MYSELF AHHH!!), to go to the offer holder day. And I just KNOW I'm not going to get any work done. So, that's FUN LMAO!!

Anyways, I also want to say, if you get free school meals, you can apply for an Uplearn scholarship! I got one last year due to Sutton Trust (but you don't need to be part of ST to apply), and have only recently been using it. AND MY GOODNESS IS IT GOOD! I probably wouldn't spend £500 quid for it for just a single subject, however, if you are either willing to pay that much or get fsm, I would recommend it. Very sad I didn't use it earlier tbh. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending