The Student Room Group

Spread of universities represented in top consulting firms

So, guys, I'm super bored (finished my exams and it's 4 months until university begins) and coupled with my curiosity, I ran a quick search of Linkedin for the traditional IB target/semi-target universities represented in consulting.

I chose the following firms, oftentimes regarded as the top firms, to conduct this search: McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Oliver Wyman, Strategy&, OC&C, LEK, Roland Berger, AT Kearney, Credo and LEK.

These are just raw numbers - I haven't taken into account student population differences.

Institution (number of current professionals):

Oxford (565)

Cambridge (516)

LSE (249)

Imperial (140)

Bristol (71)

UCL (68)

Warwick (60)

Nottingham (48)

Durham (47)

Edinburgh (34)

Manchester (34)

KCL (29)

Bath (24)

Exeter (19)

York (12)

St. Andrews (11)

Cass (11)

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where's Surrey in the list? Surrey is 4th best uni in the country
Original post by MAINE.

lol w8 what.. not sure if sarcasm

Oxbridge at the top, sounds about right.
Original post by MAINE.

4th best uni in the country?

Are you high?
Original post by ThatGuyRik
4th best uni in the country?

Are you high?

can confirm he is right.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

lmao, never laughed so hard in my life. gg gaurdian's troll game is strong.
Original post by gr8wizard10
can confirm he is right.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-league-tables-2016

yeah i saw those as-well. Saying surrey is above imperial ucl lse is a crime.
Original post by MAINE.

It's too good to be on this list man. I heard MckBain Group Ltd heavily recruit from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm legit surprised at how concentrated every thing is at Oxbridge/LSE.

On the other hand, it shows that a capable candidate can get in from some of the other respected unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I'm legit surprised at how concentrated every thing is at Oxbridge/LSE.

On the other hand, it shows that a capable candidate can get in from some of the other respected unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've known a few chemical engineers(that graduated from Manchester)working as investment bankers in London!
Original post by Skill Twix
I've known a few chemical engineers(that graduated from Manchester)working as investment bankers in London!

Except, this isn't about banking.
Reply 10
Original post by Skill Twix

:facepalm2:
Reply 11
So, guys, I'm super bored (finished my exams and it's 4 months until university begins) and coupled with my curiosity, I ran a quick search of Linkedin for the traditional IB target/semi-target universities represented in consulting.

I chose the following firms, oftentimes regarded as the top firms, to conduct this search: McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Oliver Wyman, Strategy&, OC&C, LEK, Roland Berger, AT Kearney, Credo and LEK.

These are just raw numbers - I haven't taken into account student population differences.

Oxford (565)

Cambridge (516)

LSE (249)

Imperial (140)

Bristol (71)

UCL (68)

Warwick (60)

Nottingham (48)

Durham (47)

Edinburgh (34)

Manchester (34)

KCL (29)

Bath (24)

Exeter (19)

York (12)

St. Andrews (11)

Cass (11)

Thoughts?

Your data implies that c.56% of top MC's intake comes from Oxbridge (or at least 44% come from non-Oxbridge unis)....just think about that for a second - around 50% of an entire industry comes from just two universities. Unbelievable.
Original post by MAINE.
Your data implies that c.56% of top MC's intake comes from Oxbridge (or at least 44% come from non-Oxbridge unis)....just think about that for a second - around 50% of an entire industry comes from just two universities. Unbelievable.

I know, it's insane!

The only professions that come close are (high end) Journalism, the Bar and Politics. It just seems overtly elitist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10
can confirm he is right.

Guardian looks at the satisfaction rating heavily, which is nonsensical. How do they suppose you get accurate reporting by students when they know the standing of their university in the rankings directly affects how highly their degree is regarded once they graduate. It'd be like asking people to do their own performance reviews.
I know, it's insane!

The only professions that come close are (high end) Journalism, the Bar and Politics. It just seems overtly elitist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your list only scratches the surface of the elitism, it is actually crazy how Oxbridge focused they are. Know a fair few at Bain/McKinsey/Oliver Wyman and their intakes are usually 80%+ Oxbridge.

Oxford (565)

Cambridge (516)

LSE (249)

Imperial (140)

Bristol (71)

UCL (68)

Warwick (60)

Nottingham (48)

Durham (47)

Edinburgh (34)

Manchester (34)

KCL (29)

Bath (24)

Exeter (19)

York (12)

St. Andrews (11)

Cass (11)

Thoughts?

Thank god Manchester Warwick and KCL are there - they're the ones I could get into!

I've asked you this before prince pieman, but are you sure degree choice isn't a massive factor? So a life science degree would be ok then?

Your search was for the top strat houses, Tbh I'd be more than happy to get into one of the big 4!
Original post by Econight
Your list only scratches the surface of the elitism, it is actually crazy how Oxbridge focused they are. Know a fair few at Bain/McKinsey/Oliver Wyman and their intakes are usually 80%+ Oxbridge.

Jesus. I better work my ass off and land some impressive internships/ECs then.

I know a few people at BCG and McKinsey but they are all US based - might be a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brownclown
Thank god Manchester Warwick and KCL are there - they're the ones I could get into!

I've asked you this before prince pieman, but are you sure degree choice isn't a massive factor? So a life science degree would be ok then?

Your search was for the top strat houses, Tbh I'd be more than happy to get into one of the big 4!

Yeah, it really doesn't matter. I'd emphasise any stats modules/quantitative grades you've achieved to bolster things.

Big4 is pretty achievable from those unis - they hire tonnes of grads! I'd say, Deloitte Consulting has the greatest rep (by a large margin) amongst the Big4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford (565)

Cambridge (516)

LSE (249)

Imperial (140)

Bristol (71)

UCL (68)

Warwick (60)

Nottingham (48)

Durham (47)

Edinburgh (34)

Manchester (34)

KCL (29)

Bath (24)

Exeter (19)

York (12)

St. Andrews (11)

Cass (11)

Thoughts?

Only 3 universities in that list are not Russell Group. Seems to me like if you come from a Russell Group university the higher the chances of being employed by them.
Yeah, it really doesn't matter. I'd emphasise any stats modules/quantitative grades you've achieved to bolster things.

Big4 is pretty achievable from those unis - they hire tonnes of grads! I'd say, Deloitte Consulting has the greatest rep (by a large margin) amongst the Big4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by quantitative? A lot of my course is lab based and relevant lab stats

Significant chemistry components too

You could start off in a big 4 then move over to top tier after a few years right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending