The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

First year Costs

Do those of you in the second year know how much your first year cost you on top of the accomodation/tuition fees?

Just got a bit freaked out when the offer letter said: 3000 tuition fees and about 4000 accomodation/food.

That's 7000 before i even get to the bar/societies/to and from Durham. :s-smilie: :s-smilie: .

For a 4 year course i'm looking at over £30,000 worth of debt. :frown:

Still not going to put me off going though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
THat is about right for the accomodation, everything is included so you dont have to spend money on more food but you will tend to, plus going out etc.
It is a lot yes, and they increase the accomadation every year.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
You don't pay for the tuition fees until after you finish however, so it's not an immediate cost. I'm just glad I was born in 87 :smile:

Alex
Reply 3
how much will accommodation and food cost when you live out? more than in college I guess?
Reply 4
blablabla
how much will accommodation and food cost when you live out? more than in college I guess?

Depends where you live. Rent varies between 40 or so a week to 100+.
Reply 5
Geroge Stephenson is one of the cheapest colleges to live in I think (around 40-50). Which college are you staying at?
BertieBassit
Geroge Stephenson is one of the cheapest colleges to live in I think (around 40-50). Which college are you staying at?

That's because it's in Stockton.
College is 4k PA and is a total rip off. They treat you like cattle and feed you absolute pabulum.
If any customer in any other form of accomodation was treated as badly as we are, they'd be completely up in arms.
Reply 8
^ Ditto. It annoys me more than I could communicate without murdering several people violently.

I worked out yesterday (to my astonishment) that living out will work out at about the same cost as living in (both including food). It's ridiculous!

Still love Durham though.
The £4k is really steep, especially as it's not much more than that for halls in central London, where you get a higher loan. Luckily for those who are eligible, Durham has really generous bursaries, but it's really harsh for those who aren't :/.
Jelkin
^ Ditto. It annoys me more than I could communicate without murdering several people violently.

I worked out yesterday (to my astonishment) that living out will work out at about the same cost as living in (both including food). It's ridiculous!

Still love Durham though.

You'll do well....

Before everyone jumps out and tells me it is possible, I know it is, but still very unlikely.
Reply 11
Living out will cost as much as you let it cost you.

If you are prepared to live at the top of Gilesgate, or out in Bowburn etc you can find places for £40ppw. Bills will then depend on your habits, but you can probably keep them down to £20ppw.

I eat well for £20 a week.

Assuming you have to pay rent all year round, but you are only paying food for 28 weeks, this would work out at around £3700 for the year.

Most people however are not so frugal, and a more typical arrangement would be £70 ppw rent including all bills plus £30 a week food, staying in Durham at least week either side of each term, giving £4600 for the year.

£70 per week including bills next year would be pretty frugal, considering average rent without this year was about £63.

Plus, I'm sorry, but anyone who eats 'well' (my definition of this is not having to buy cheap, nasty food) on £20 a week doesn't eat much.

EDIT: This is not to mention the study time you'd lose out on by travelling so far to and from everything.
Reply 13
I have 28-week let. Rent for this year including food and bills was £3945.

3945 / 52 = ~£76.

Okay, so it will work out as more expensive to live out. But not as much as it should. I think that next year rent will see a 6.3% increase.

3945 x 1.063 = ~£4194

4194 / 52 = ~£81

Ri. Di. Cu. Lous.

EDIT: And, whilst you might not be able to eat "well" for £20 (I wouldn't know), you probably wouldn't eat worse than in catered halls.
The quality increase is exponential with price increase (i.e. a ~25% increase in cost causes a 400% increase in quality of food, landlord-tenant relations and amount of paint actually on the walls).
bigred
You don't pay for the tuition fees until after you finish however, so it's not an immediate cost. I'm just glad I was born in 87 :smile:

Alex

What's so special about people born in 1987?*confused*
Reply 16
2/3 of us missed top-up fees.
Oh,yes.

I could have missed top up fees but I didn't(born in 1986).Oh well!
Cheers for all of the figures you've put up, but what i was really interested was what your first year cost you, most people ON TOP of tuition fees/accomodation. I'll hopefully be at Castle, but i guess its roughly the same everwhere.

Stuff like college bar tab, nights out, societies, books, alcohol, extra food.

All the stuff you spend cash on during term time.

Its just that the tuition loan will cover the tuition fees, but the student loan is limited to about 5000? for places outside of london. With 4k accomodation i was wondering how much on top of the 1000 left you would need.
Reply 19
My budget was ~40quid a week, I know people who went between 15quid to 70
+.

Latest