The Student Room Group

Filling out Financial Hardship Form - overpaid last year

The over-payment last year was because I have left university around the time the 3rd and final payment was already paid out to me. This was a leave of absence due to medical reasons - mental health. Anyway, now that I have gotten the amount of maintenance loan I will receive quoted by SFE - it is not enough for my accommodation costs, let alone living expenses.
This problem arose only due to the fact that I have moved to Sheffield as soon as I started first year and have not lived at home since the start of college (had a full scholarship at boarding school) - otherwise my living costs and accommodation costs may have been low enough for me to 'make do'.
The payment I received last year was used to pay my accommodation costs so I did actually need the full amount despite being on the leave of absence - as I am still obliged by my accommodation contract and I am still living in Sheffield full time (I only visit my parents for a week or two in total every year).
Because SFE is now trying to compensate for the over-payment they want to give me less but not only have the prices in my accommodation increased this year - I have already paid £250 deposit, and for a 51 week tenancy, I will be paying £6630.00 in 4 installments (September 2023 to September 2024). SFE have given me the amount of £5813.00 as my maintenance loan for year 23/24. Therefore - I will not even have enough to pay for my accommodation for this year. I have been working (Self-employed) tutoring this summer in order to try and raise enough money to make sure I will be okay come September when my first installment is due, yet this (£6630+£250deposit-£5813 = £1067 'missing') so despite working over the summer it will still be impossible for me to earn enough to cover myself for the year as it is my final year and I have already have mental health issues - I cannot work while in my final year of study.
I will be filling out the financial hardship form - and am wondering if this will help: mean I will have enough funding to go ahead with this year at university. In previous years I have received around £7,663.00, the amount I got over-paid by this year £1360.00.

Many thanks for any help or advice
Martyna
Original post by martynawis
The over-payment last year was because I have left university around the time the 3rd and final payment was already paid out to me. This was a leave of absence due to medical reasons - mental health. Anyway, now that I have gotten the amount of maintenance loan I will receive quoted by SFE - it is not enough for my accommodation costs, let alone living expenses.
This problem arose only due to the fact that I have moved to Sheffield as soon as I started first year and have not lived at home since the start of college (had a full scholarship at boarding school) - otherwise my living costs and accommodation costs may have been low enough for me to 'make do'.
The payment I received last year was used to pay my accommodation costs so I did actually need the full amount despite being on the leave of absence - as I am still obliged by my accommodation contract and I am still living in Sheffield full time (I only visit my parents for a week or two in total every year).
Because SFE is now trying to compensate for the over-payment they want to give me less but not only have the prices in my accommodation increased this year - I have already paid £250 deposit, and for a 51 week tenancy, I will be paying £6630.00 in 4 installments (September 2023 to September 2024). SFE have given me the amount of £5813.00 as my maintenance loan for year 23/24. Therefore - I will not even have enough to pay for my accommodation for this year. I have been working (Self-employed) tutoring this summer in order to try and raise enough money to make sure I will be okay come September when my first installment is due, yet this (£6630+£250deposit-£5813 = £1067 'missing') so despite working over the summer it will still be impossible for me to earn enough to cover myself for the year as it is my final year and I have already have mental health issues - I cannot work while in my final year of study.
I will be filling out the financial hardship form - and am wondering if this will help: mean I will have enough funding to go ahead with this year at university. In previous years I have received around £7,663.00, the amount I got over-paid by this year £1360.00.

Many thanks for any help or advice
Martyna

Hi Martyna, We can advise further on the overpayment and options that may be available to you. Please contact us direct, you can do this by signing into your student finance account and accessing our live chat service where an advisor will be able to assist further. The service is available between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday or by calling us on 0300 100 0607. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending