The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
WhatAboutWinston?
Its just that the tuition loan will cover the tuition fees, but the student loan is limited to about 5000? for places outside of london. With 4k accomodation i was wondering how much on top of the 1000 left you would need.

Um...I don't want to frighten you, but my maintenance loan (unassessed) this year was £3305. My compulsory costs in college (including rent) worked out at £4149. My loan was £844 less than these costs. The disparity will probably be worse next year. I hope you have generous parents, or are eligible for a grant. if not, get a job. Pronto. (Or several student overdrafts with different banks.)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Or get a job this summer, that would what can only be termed a Very Good Idea.
Or several student overdrafts with different banks.

I strongly advise against this, as if they find out about the other student accounts they will ask you to pay back all the money which you owe them, probably transferring it to an interest-bearing account.
Reply 23
The proposals being rubber-stamped at the moment will mean that college rent will increase by around 10% for next year.
Reply 24
O god. They are really hoping to milk as much money from these students as possible. I would expect London to be more expensive as Brunel's overall rent fees cost 3,190 a year!
Reply 25
Sorry to rub salt in an already open wound but don't forget there's the cost of the sports levy (£120 unless you opt out before you start), the JCR service charge (£50?), the cost of end of term balls, the suits you need to wear for them, plus things like stash and course materials. It all builds up! Ker-ching!
DO NOT BUY A SPORTS CARD: It gets you absolutely nothing. Really. Trust me.
Reply 27
Damnit. It's too late for me.
Reply 28
Yeah, I have a sports card....I may go and play squash in the next couple of weeks and that would be the first time I used it...
Reply 29
I play squash but it's not like they ever ask to see my sports card.
Reply 30
I worked out that on top of my accomodation fees, I spent about £1200 last term. I wish I knew where it had gone...
Reply 31
Er, that's insane. Unless you joined 57 societies or bought 19 textbooks...
Reply 32
You could probably stretch that £1000 out over a year, though it'd be hard. You'd really have to buy very few luxuries, drink in college bar instead of clubs to keep nights out cheap, that sort of thing. I spent £700 in my first term, but that included stash, running shoes, CDs and DVDs etc. so some extra money on top of that would be very handy for those luxuries.
Reply 33
arkbar
Er, that's insane. Unless you joined 57 societies or bought 19 textbooks...

About £300 was on books...
Reply 34
300 quid? You're either insane or a scientist.
Reply 35
or both (not an unusual combination:p: )
Shmerm
You could probably stretch that £1000 out over a year, though it'd be hard. You'd really have to buy very few luxuries, drink in college bar instead of clubs to keep nights out cheap, that sort of thing. I spent £700 in my first term, but that included stash, running shoes, CDs and DVDs etc. so some extra money on top of that would be very handy for those luxuries.

What is "stash"?

I'm guessing you don't write your dope financial calendar on the internet.

700 a term, that means like 9000 a year all in. Bearing in mind that tuition loan and maintenance grant ammount to only 6000. That means i'd have to make 3000 a year!! :smile: :smile:

3000 is like 12 weeks full time at £6/hour and that doesn't even include costs on top of uni like my car insurance and having a social life at home. How do those of you not eligible for a grant nor having "mammy and daddy" bankrole you survive for 3/4 years?

There goes my naive idea of spending my summers backpacking around different parts of the world. :frown:
Reply 37
Stash is uni-, club- or college-related clothing for example I have a polo shirt for the college orchestra and a hoody that says 'Castle' on the back. :biggrin:
It can be quite pricey, but is pretty essential IMO. :p:
Reply 38
LOOOOOOOOL! I am gonna join the gym but not getting the sports card. Should I pay for a JCR card though?
I spend around 12-25 a week on food and I eat extremely well, I buy just what I eat, and I have a few meals in the freezer I've cooked just in case I cannot be bothered.

Going and picking up the reduced things is the aim of the game, and making milk and bread stretch works. So long as you cook your own food it is pretty cheap, though the opportunity cost depends because sometimes I can spend 2 hours an evening cooking :s

Im living near the science site next year so I should be able to reclaim around 4 hours of my life back per week with walking etc, so for £67 per week it isnt that bad :smile:

Anything is possible :wink:

Ian

PS. even though you live in college it doesn't mean you won't buy your own food, I bought luxuries (chocolates) and fruits quite frequently and could spend up to £10 per week. you just have to stop yourself from going to town as everytime i did i bought more :s

For numbers, I spent around £1500 last year (first year - whilst living in) which includes signing up to all the societies etc, food, books, clothes, cd's, going out etc. Because you are not living at home, you have to pay for every little thing and at first you don't realise how much everything costs.
Tuition and Hall Fees came to around: £5117 I had to pay to leave stuff over christmas etc

Latest