The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C2 Questions and Solutions [3rd June 2015]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrostShot
I'm honestly not sure about this one. The way I interpreted it I thought it meant the length of the arc and the 2 radii at the sides, since if it wanted the arc length it would have said arc length. If the general consensus is that the question is indeed referring to the arc length, I will update it accordingly, but as of now I'm not quite sure so I'll leave it as it is.

I certainly remember it saying the perimeter of the sector. Defo did r(theta) + 2r.

Quick question, what are my chances of getting 100 UMS given that I got 69/72 :/ Annoying when you lose marks in the easier exams, because you need every mark you can get to keep the bad ones (M2 for me xD) from screwing you over :P
If I substituted h wrong (I completely freaked out and calculated h=b-a/n) will I be awarded any marks if I calculated the trapezium and showing the correct method throughout?
Reply 22
Original post by joe12345marc
I certainly remember it saying the perimeter of the sector. Defo did r(theta) + 2r.

Quick question, what are my chances of getting 100 UMS given that I got 69/72 :/ Annoying when you lose marks in the easier exams, because you need every mark you can get to keep the bad ones (M2 for me xD) from screwing you over :P

It's a bit hard to say what your chances are of getting 100 UMS, but given past grade boundaries, I think it is likely that you would still be able to achieve 100 UMS if you got 69/72. I've looked through the grade boundaries for the last couple of years and they appear to range from 54 to 57 for an A, and the grade boundary for a B about 6 or 7 lower. If I take 12 or 14 and add it on to 53 or 57, I think that gives me approximately how much you need to get full UMS (It could vary though), and from the grade boundaries I checked time 69 does lie in that range :smile:
If the general consensus is that the paper was significantly easier than most papers, the grade boundaries would be higher, and I'm not really sure how that paper compares to other ones since I didn't do that many C2 past papers myself.

Original post by katied98
If I substituted h wrong (I completely freaked out and calculated h=b-a/n) will I be awarded any marks if I calculated the trapezium and showing the correct method throughout?

Looking at past mark schemes, I think it's unlikely you get penalized more than 2 marks for that mistake.
It's a bit hard to say what your chances are of getting 100 UMS, but given past grade boundaries, I think it is likely that you would still be able to achieve 100 UMS if you got 69/72. I've looked through the grade boundaries for the last couple of years and they appear to range from 54 to 57 for an A, and the grade boundary for a B about 6 or 7 lower. If I take 12 or 14 and add it on to 53 or 57, I think that gives me approximately how much you need to get full UMS (It could vary though), and from the grade boundaries I checked time 69 does lie in that range :smile:
If the general consensus is that the paper was significantly easier than most papers, the grade boundaries would be higher, and I'm not really sure how that paper compares to other ones since I didn't do that many C2 past papers myself.

Looking at past mark schemes, I think it's unlikely you get penalized more than 2 marks for that mistake.

Ah okay yes thank you! So it's not really about how high an A is, more about gap between A and B :smile: Need a gap of 6 then I'm most likely okay :P
Reply 24
Original post by joe12345marc
Ah okay yes thank you! So it's not really about how high an A is, more about gap between A and B :smile: Need a gap of 6 then I'm most likely okay :P

No, you need a gap of about 12 to 14 on top of the A I believe, so usually that's just slightly less than 69UMS.

(Since you only need 80 UMS for an A and 70 UMS for a B, if the difference between an A and a B is 6 UMS, and you get 6 UMS above an A, that corresponds to about 10 UMS above an A, which is 90%).

So it's still a bit difficult to say whether you'll get full UMS, and there's some chance that you won't, but I'm going to say that it's more likely than not that you'll get it :wink:
No, you need a gap of about 12 to 14 on top of the A I believe, so usually that's just slightly less than 69UMS.

(Since you only need 80 UMS for an A and 70 UMS for a B, if the difference between an A and a B is 6 UMS, and you get 6 UMS above an A, that corresponds to about 10 UMS above an A, which is 90%).

So it's still a bit difficult to say whether you'll get full UMS, and there's some chance that you won't, but I'm going to say that it's more likely than not that you'll get it :wink:

Yeah sorry guess I didn't explain what I meant very clearly:

I meant hopefully gap between A and B is 6 marks, so full UMS is closer to A boundary + 12 marks than A boundary + 14 marks.

Let's hope so! I'm fairly confident I got 100 in C1 and S1 (from unofficial mark schemes) so a 300/300 in Maths will really ease the pressure a little :smile:

Thanks!
For the trapezium rule question - if I used h=5 , not 4 - how many marks will I use.
I got all the method for the rest of question wrong?
Do you get ECF in c2? Would I have lost all Marks!?
Reply 27
Original post by krippleman1
For the trapezium rule question - if I used h=5 , not 4 - how many marks will I use.
I got all the method for the rest of question wrong?
Do you get ECF in c2? Would I have lost all Marks!?

I don't think you will get all the method marks. My guess is you'll lose 2 marks for it.
I can't remember how many marks the question was worth, was it three or four or something? You usually get 1 mark for just attempting to use the trapezium rule, so you won't lose all the marks, but I'm not sure if you'll get the method marks since using h=5 does suggest a lack of understanding of the Trapezium rule.
I don't think you will get all the method marks. My guess is you'll lose 2 marks for it.
I can't remember how many marks the question was worth, was it three or four or something? You usually get 1 mark for just attempting to use the trapezium rule, so you won't lose all the marks, but I'm not sure if you'll get the method marks since using h=5 does suggest a lack of understanding of the Trapezium rule.

It was out of 6!
Reply 29
Original post by krippleman1
It was out of 6!

Then it's a bit more difficult to say
I'd guess you would get somewhere between two to four marks in that case.
Reply 30
Subsitute log10x = 0 to get c = 0, and then subsitute log10x = 2 and log10y = 8 to get m = 3, so log10y = 3log10x + 2

I really don't get how this works..
Reply 31
Subsitute log10x = 0 to get c = 0, and then subsitute log10x = 2 and log10y = 8 to get m = 3, so log10y = 3log10x + 2

I really don't get how this works..
Hey guys does anyone have a link to the answers of this years thread, 8th of June mei core 2 please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending