The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

A way for Oxbridge applicants to avoid a Durham rejection...?

There are plenty of rumours about Durham rejecting top applicants for popular courses (such as English, History and Law) if they suspect/know they have applied to Oxbridge as well.

Durham plainly reject this rumour (no pun intended), but for those applicants not willing to take the risk, would this work:

1) Apply to Oxbridge via UCAS, keeping to the October 15th deadline. Do not apply to Durham at this stage.

2) Wait a few weeks until after the October 15th deadline, then add the Durham course(s).

This way, Durham will not be able to guess you are an Oxbridge applicant because your UCAS doesn't appear to have been submitted by the conspicuous deadline... it just arrives with lots of others sometime before Christmas. And considering that Durham regularly wait until March to make offers, it can't have a negative impact on your application's consideration.

Not sure if this would work (or if it has been tried before), but it just seemed like a really obvious solution to people's concerns.

Any comments?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would Durhm reject Oxbridge applicants? A large proportion of people who apply to Oxbridge are rejected anyway, so I'll repeat what has been said many-a-time before: Durham has nothing to lose by giving Oxbridge applicants and offer.

Plus, Durham don't get told who has applied to Oxbridge, and just because someone has applied before October 15th, that doesn't mean they have applied to Oxbridge.

It's almost as stupid as saying that Durham accepted me because they must've known Oxford would reject me, it's generally down to luck with the more competitive courses.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
crankycaz
Why would Durhm reject Oxbridge applicants? A large proportion of people who apply to Oxbridge are rejected anyway, so I'll repeat what has been said many-a-time before: Durham has nothing to lose by giving Oxbridge applicants and offer.

Plus, Durham don't get told who has applied to Oxbridge, and just because someone has applied before October 15th, that doesn't mean they have applied to Oxbridge.

It's almost as stupid as saying that Durham accepted me because they must've known Oxford would reject me, it's generally down to luck with the more competitive courses.

Good post :smile:

Exactly as she says - it IS a rumour, a stupid rumour at that. Departments can give A LOT of offers out, and they're not going to just filter through the people who have applied to Oxbridge and reject them, that is the stupidest method I've ever heard! "Oh yeah let's get rid of all the applicants who are actually intelligent enough to apply to Oxbridge" :rolleyes: lol

Secondly on your recommendation, unless UCAS has changed since I applied (been a while now lol)....you can't "add" courses! You apply ONCE and that's it, there is no way of adding Universities and Courses once you've sent your form off. Which pretty much destroys your brilliant plan doesn't it? :wink:

Of course, as I say, it may have changed recently...you can correct me if I'm wrong :smile:
Reply 3
PS. I think the people that they reject who are also applying to Oxbridge are the people who write in their PS:

"I have read lots of books. I then read them again. I read lots of books. I love my subject. I read all the books. I then read journals. And I have done lots of research around my subject. I spend all my free time reading about my subject" (in a round-about way!)

Durham is looking for people slightly more interesting than people who just know EVERYTHING about their subject. OK so it may not be "academically" the best way to find applicants, but it gets a more socially interesting, exciting, and diverse group of applicants rather than mindless subject-orientated zombies :smile:
Reply 4
All those who applied to Oxbridge and got a Durham offer say "aye".

AYE.
Reply 5
Not me, Cambridge acceptance, Durham rejection! :wink: I don't think my rejection had anything to do with me applying to oxbridge though, it sounds a pretty rediculous assumption, I obviously didn't have something Durham were looking for or something.
Reply 6
aye! cambridge rejected me durham gave me a low offer for my course
Reply 7
AYE! the whole no durham offers for oxbridge applicants is dumb
It does sound like one of those rumours people keep coming up with to perpetuate a split between Oxbridge and Durham which, as far as I'm aware, has never really been an issue.
However I do know people who have had strange experiences with Durham. My friend applied for English at Durham before the Oxbridge deadline (later got an offer from Madalen). She has perfect grades from GCSE but is also (as many people seem to suggest is the dividing factor) a well rounded person with lots of extra curricular interests. She had what was, in my eyes, an excellent personal statement and her reference was exemplary. If there isn't a bias against seemingly sure fire Oxbridge candidates the only reasons I can think for her Durham rejection is that either Durham looks unfavourably on younger applicants (she will be 18 next October), her personal statement managed to really rub someone at Durham the wrong way, or that she really excelled at her Oxford interviews and essays and that made the difference.
I'm not calling this proof of the theory, simply that some people have had experiences that may make it easier to believe, for them at least. At the end of the day she's very happy with her Oxford offer, and while I don't understand why I with only three AS levels and comparably poor grades got on offer and she didn't, I never wanted (or applied) for Oxbridge and am over the moon with a Durham offer.
Reply 9
crankycaz
Plus, Durham don't get told who has applied to Oxbridge...

...unless they look on TSR.
I have read through above posts but have to admit I think there might be a small amount of truth to the rumour. The reason they would do it is bcause they don't want to give out needless offers when they will infact be rejected (instead of the applicant). This might be unfair (and the durham forum might not be the best place to say this) but very few applicants will reject oxbridge for durham purely bcause cambridge/oxford is world renowned for being one of the best unis.

I though about waiting 14 days after cam b4 applying to dur (which is the maximum you can wait I think) but school wouldn't let me (and unlike other stuff I couldn't b botherd to argue). I don't think you've got anything to loose from doing it but u have to be very organised (ie rember you still need to apply for dur 14 days l8er).

You've got to rember however that the application process at both unis is completly different. Oxbridge interview whereas durham (on the whole) don't. Oxbridge might find something in an applicant's personality which durham might overlook. Or durham might judge it purely on grades whereas cambridge finds the applicants pottential.

In my opinion if you can do hold off that extra too weeks but Im not sure it will make much difference.

ukebert
...unless they look on TSR.

This is true if you bother to apply l8 for durham don't put your GCSEs, ASlevels and other uni application on your sig or the whole extra effort to conceal your other uni will have been a big waste of time. Oxbridge definatly check TSR, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Durham do too.
How do you know that Oxford and Cambridge check TSR? With thousands of applicants and people (users) not having to reveal their real name - I mean, "Spunkym0nkey" doesn't exactly reveal a lot of details about you, and even if you did use a real name it might not necessarily be your own - it would seem like a somewhat fruitless (and pointless) endeavour.
About a month ago on the cambridge forum there was a post by the unis warning that they regulate TSR (and I think there was the same for oxford).
They might not get it from Spunkym0nkey (even though they should put coolest name with coolest applicant lol) but they can check your GCSE grades, A level modules (4 the people who put them), hobbies, school people go to (if like me ur stupid enough to put it down), towns ect. For college unis the applicant's identity is narrowed allot and to be honest you only need 2or3 bits of info and you've got the applicant. The reason oxbridge got angry is bcause people were sharing interview questions which is not allowed untill after the application process.
Quite allot of people got into trouble (college phoned them and school) because they broke confidentiality agreement which they signed when they applied.
Reply 13
Mattmoy_2000
How do you know that Oxford and Cambridge check TSR? With thousands of applicants and people (users) not having to reveal their real name - I mean, "Spunkym0nkey" doesn't exactly reveal a lot of details about you, and even if you did use a real name it might not necessarily be your own - it would seem like a somewhat fruitless (and pointless) endeavour.

One applicant posted details of the questions he was asked in his interview, and was soundly rapped over the knuckles for it, Cam looked at TSR, found him and found out who he was.

It's simple enough if you put on things like hobbies etc. as Spunkym0nkey said, however it's really obvious if your username is the same or similar to your email...:rolleyes:
Becca

AYE.

aye.

I have read through above posts but have to admit I think there might be a small amount of truth to the rumour. The reason they would do it is bcause they don't want to give out needless offers when they will infact be rejected (instead of the applicant). This might be unfair (and the durham forum might not be the best place to say this) but very few applicants will reject oxbridge for durham purely bcause cambridge/oxford is world renowned for being one of the best unis.

That is not unfair at all, its a perfectly sensible statement

However, that would still be a stupid system

1. They do not know 100% who will get in or if who the think will get in has applied.
2. I am sure they would rather chance that someone turns them down than reject someone who could in the future add to the reputation of the place
3. People turn Durham down for other places as well, its not just oxbridge. Would they then reject everyone who they think possibly might maybe have applied somewhere else with a better subject reputation?

based on that logic the uni at the bottom of the league table rejects everybody :s-smilie:. Its nonsense
I know its stupid Itchy, but I know at least one example of this DEFINATLEY happening. (well its bristol not durham but very similar quality university, similar arguments apply etc.)

A guy on my year, (he is on tsr -- username j2k so this isnt some made up story) got rejected from bristol for economics. He has 10 A*, 5 As at AS. A superb personal statement, genuinley intrested in economics, he has everything. (Got into Cambridge, in our school with 22 oxbridge offers, i would say he is 1st or 2nd, so basically he is very very very good.)

My explanation why universities do this --- if they figure the chances of people accepting their offer is 0, (which it indeed was in this case) then it looks better for their statistics if they reject someone rather than them rejecting him.

I know its a minor thing, I know its silly, if i were the admissions officer at bristol, I certainly not reject him. But it does happen.

Why else would he get rejected?
Itchynscratchy
1. They do not know 100% who will get in or if who the think will get in has applied.

True but there are some people who will quite obviously oxbridge material who althoug not 100% definate can be seen as very likely.
Itchynscratchy
2. I am sure they would rather chance that someone turns them down than reject someone who could in the future add to the reputation of the place
3. People turn Durham down for other places as well, its not just oxbridge. Would they then reject everyone who they think possibly might maybe have applied somewhere else with a better subject reputation?

Yeah I geuss it is true durham will get turned down for other places but for most people who apply to oxbridge consider durham as the next best thing (or in some cases even better).

I geuss its unlikely that they will reject someone unless they're sure they will be rejected by that applicant. Which to be honest they could easily do through TSR. Perhaps thats why people who get oxbridge offers don't get durham offers on TSR(though I have heard of it happening to people who arn't on TSR) *sorry ramble on a bit with thought*. Point still remains:smile:
Reply 17
OH

MY

GOD

What a bunch of numpties there are in this thread!!! Seriously - when the rest of you usual Durham lot read the last half of this page you should be laughing or crying....or both! I'm astonished at what is being said!! :frown:

Firstly, can people stop writing "I know one person who this has DEFINITELY (or "definately" for some of you younguns/scientists) happened to!!!"....no, you don't. You do NOT know someone who has DEFINITELY been rejected "because they also applied to Oxbridge". OK so the situation may be true, but you cannot say, unless interrogating the admissions tutor of Durham (or in the later case, Bristol) to tell you the reason.

PLEASE don't say "Oh well he's just perfect, so many good grades, interested in the subject....can you tell me any other reason why they would reject him?!"....hmmm, because on the day that the admissions tutor was looking at his UCAS form a herd of wild cattle rampaged the department, knocking over his cup of tea. This annoyed him so he immediately rejected the person who's form he was looking at.
....does this sound crazy? Yes...it does. But so does "Oh because they also applied to Oxbridge". Just because you come up with some unfounded STUPID theory and say "Well what other reason could there be?" it doesn't mean your foolish theory is true :rolleyes:

Admissions tutors look at TSR.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! etc.
I think some of you need to think this through. I'm a lecturer. I get paid (a teeeny bit) extra to be an admissions tutor. However I'm underpaid as it is. I have to lecture, teach classes, and do research to keep my job. I'm going to EXTEND my duties to searching a Students message board to see about my applicants WHO MAY NOT EVEN BE ON TSR.

So basically, I could now find someone who's applied to University, register in TSR with their name and location, oh yeah and don't forget hobbies because they'll check my hobbies with my PS ( :rolleyes: )....and then write a load of crap about my interview. Then they'll reject the guy who I've impersonated.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! it's not EVER going to happen, so just stop thinking it! And although I'm not willing to say that the interview thing isn't true because you'll probably point me to the actual post (which I'd like to see if you have the link)....but when I had my interview there was NO mention of "not being allowed to tell anyone about the questions"....I told my parents when I got home, are the Oxbridge police after me now? Oh no! Shut up...they ask everyone different questions based on their experience (for example they asked me about specific urban developments in Newcastle since I live there....I'm sure that wouldn't help ANYONE who was going for an interview who didn't live in Newcastle...unless the tutor was mean and decided to ask them the same question!)

Get serious guys.
1. If a University rejects you, they have a reason. And it's not stupid things like "Oh they also applied to that other university, boo hoo we don't want them". Just because YOU don't see a reason, doesn't mean they didn't.
2. Tutors don't come on TSR to check people out. It's just not possible.
3. If you believe any of the stupid rumours mentioned in this thread, you are a moron, and deserved to be rejected from all Universities. Ever. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
Becca

AYE.

Aye :biggrin:

(I got rejected from Cambridge)
Reply 19
Oops.

I should also say:

aye :smile:

Latest