The Student Room Group

Do some unis say no if they think you’ll get in somewhere else?

this may be a strange question and a straight up no, but i was curious if some universities will say no to you if they think you’ll get into oxbridge? ie russell groups? my thinking behind it is they wouldn’t want to ‘waste’ an offer on someone they think have the ability to obtain a better offer elsewhere? especially with the deadlines? is this delusional thinking and will universities just say yes if you’re a strong candidate anyway?
Reply 1
Original post by lily_68x
this may be a strange question and a straight up no, but i was curious if some universities will say no to you if they think you’ll get into oxbridge? ie russell groups? my thinking behind it is they wouldn’t want to ‘waste’ an offer on someone they think have the ability to obtain a better offer elsewhere? especially with the deadlines? is this delusional thinking and will universities just say yes if you’re a strong candidate anyway?

No. They will accept you if you're good enough, they don't know where else you applied and will never know. They will give you an offer ad they want you to come to their uni if you're a strong candidate!
Reply 2
Original post by lockets
No. They will accept you if you're good enough, they don't know where else you applied and will never know. They will give you an offer ad they want you to come to their uni if you're a strong candidate!

it’s just with the oxbridge deadlines, i think universities are bound to know which candidates applied to them, and my teacher mentioned to me it may hold me back with other offers! i don’t really know but none of my teachers have been very confident in me at all so maybe they were just saying it in the moment :smile:
No - they also aren’t allowed to discriminate like this if you get your application in before the January UCAS deadline.
Reply 4
it’s just with the oxbridge deadlines, i think universities are bound to know which candidates applied to them, and my teacher mentioned to me it may hold me back with other offers! i don’t really know but none of my teachers have been very confident in me at all so maybe they were just saying it in the moment :smile:

Definitely not! I don't know why your teachers are saying that lol. You are going to be fine! Most people who apply to Oxbridge apply to all other prestigious universities and get them all, even if they end up being rejected by Oxbridge. That's where you get the stereotype of Durham, Bristol etc. being full of Oxbridge rejects haha
Teachers talking cobblers about applications as usual.

Unis don’t care where else you’ve applied or whether you’re likely to accept elsewhere. They don’t have the time or energy for messing around.
Reply 6
thank you everyone, you’ve all really put me at ease, it was eating me up inside and i had to ask (good luck if you’re applying this year btw) :smile:
Reply 7

They cant really see where else you have applied to. Because of the oxbridge deadlines; when the eldest applied to Oxford, and had an interview at York and Lancaster for physics (in the november 2019), most students were oxbridge, but they could not assume at the uni; because after all, you could just well be a keen student who just wants the application done and out the way.
Its in no way going to hold back on the offers thats for sure. In fact the high grade predicted and all the extra curriculars helped in her favour as one of the unis gave her an unconditional offer. One uni offered the grades on advertised on the website and another insurance uni that was ABB offered her BBC. The offers will be coming so try not to worry 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending