The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Mattmoy_2000
No they're not, I know several people who applied to Oxford or Cambridge and got offers but turned them down for Durham.

:ditto:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
hellohello12
I would feel slightly better about my Durham rejection is they had actually interviewed me so that I would have a chance to 'shine' and show them i had something to offer apart from AAAAAa predicted grades.

You did have a chance to "shine" - it's called Personal Statement. It means they then can't judge you by what you wear, what your accent is like, what you look like, etc.

I honestly think that my geordie accent did not come across well with the interviewer at Cambridge. I'm sure at one point he actually had to say "I'm sorry, what was that?" at one of my responses. Sigh :rolleyes:
You could be a complete idiot and still come acorss well on a piece of paper.

Precisely.
The most I will say is that I applied to Oxford and got an offer from Durham before I had even heard back from Oxford. What would be the point of them turning down all Oxbridge applicants?x
kawaii_girl
The most I will say is that I applied to Oxford and got an offer from Durham before I had even heard back from Oxford. What would be the point of them turning down all Oxbridge applicants?x

Is Durham your firm?
kawaii_girl

I don't think there is a point of turning down all Oxbridge applicants and I’m sure they don't. It is possible however that they don't give people who r very likely to be successful Oxbridge applicants offers to reduce the amount of unsuccessful offers they give out. Unsuccessful offers look bad for the university, lay a hole lot of uncertainty onto them (as in how many applicants are actually coming) and also having to reject someone who is more likely to put them as their firm.
Reply 86
They don't really look that bad if 15 people people per department or whatever, don't take the offer up. They don't lay any uncertainty, because for the most competitive subjects Durham offers are all AAA, alongside Oxbridge offers and hence no-one would choose Durham as an insurance.
I got offers from both and my Durham one came a long time after the Oxford offer.
The good thing is that the Durham offer is actually a bit lower, so I might take it as an insurance...
JohannaMarie
I got offers from both and my Durham one came a long time after the Oxford offer.
The good thing is that the Durham offer is actually a bit lower, so I might take it as an insurance...

:biggrin: congratulations again and if ur unlucky (and i am lucky) I might c u here in september. Sure u'll get into oxford though :smile:
Thanks. I still can't believe it, and I'm very scared, but I guess that's normal...
Reply 90
I found out last night that the guy I met on the first open day I went to, whom I went to Walkabout with and pulled, turned down Cambridge for Durham. I can't help feeling slightly smug, even though it probably had nothing to do with me. :biggrin:
Danny_777
Is Durham your firm?

Depends on if I get an offer from Warwick...I dont see that happening, so it's pretty likely!! xxx
kawaii_girl
Depends on if I get an offer from Warwick...I dont see that happening, so it's pretty likely!! xxx

You'd choose Warwick over Durham for Law!?!? :eek:

Oh, and hey from Braintree btw, I notice you're in Billericay; which school d'you go to? xxx
Reply 93
I didn't like Warwick much. But I guess it's down to personal opinion.
:dito: x 2 above. I mean Id pick warwick over durham 2 (I think) but durhams ment to be great at law. I know tables arn't everything but durhams a few places above for course. Try and go to both if you havent already b4 u make up ur mind.
Why would they reject? Mine was received by UCAS on the 10th October, but I didn't apply to Oxbridge. im sure there are plenty others who sent early and didn't apply
Reply 96
Warwick University:The only reason to live in Leamington Spa.
arkbar
Warwick University:The only reason to live in Leamington Spa.

There's a nice curry house there though. And the itbox in the Wetherspoons is incredibly easy to win on.
Reply 98
Where's that? Their Wetherspoons scares me by not being wide enough. Although I've only been in there to eat food with the Girlfriend.
Reply 99
I only went there for interview. But then, I only went to the campus. I have quite a strong feeling I got rejected because I didn't realise Arthur Miller had died the day before.

Latest