The Student Room Group

Attack on Dallas Police Station- a solution

A gunman went crazy against the Dallas police:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11672658/Shots-fired-in-attack-on-Dallas-police-headquarters.html

Now when past school attacks have taken place, many (in the US I may add) have suggested teachers should be armed. You know, if everyone has a gun, then they can defend themselves?

Well, clearly this new situation suggests the police should be armed too, then they can defend themselves!

Oh wait...... they are armed...... kinda illustrates the stupidity in that argument!

Ive gota better idea, nobody except the police have guns! Oh, we have that in the UK already. For once we've achieved something!!
I don't understand your point. He attacked armed police who fired back which is why none were killed.
If it had been this country, especially outside London, there would have been a much larger loss of life by the time armed response units arrived to try to stop him.
Remember what happened in Cumbria when that taxi driver went postal? He was pretty much able to drive across the county killing with impunity because there were so few armed police to track and stop him. The police response was to drive around ahead of him trying to tell people to get off the streets. In America they the first copper to see him would have shot him on sight.
Reply 2
Original post by caravaggio2
I don't understand your point. He attacked armed police who fired back which is why none were killed.
If it had been this country, especially outside London, there would have been a much larger loss of life by the time armed response units arrived to try to stop him.
Remember what happened in Cumbria when that taxi driver went postal? He was pretty much able to drive across the county killing with impunity because there were so few armed police to track and stop him. The police response was to drive around ahead of him trying to tell people to get off the streets. In America they the first copper to see him would have shot him on sight.

and killed a bystander.....

In the US the police pull out their guns just to pull you over in your car. I mean come on?? Trigger happy TV or what!

I have no problems arming the police, but not to start shooting at anything. In the US they think its fine to just start shooting at anything. Guy mugs a woman's purse in the high street- lets start shooting at them!
Original post by billydisco

In the US the police pull out their guns just to pull you over in your car. I mean come on?? Trigger happy TV or what!

I have no problems arming the police, but not to start shooting at anything. In the US they think its fine to just start shooting at anything. Guy mugs a woman's purse in the high street- lets start shooting at them!

In America many people have guns in their cars. Far more than the crims here. Probably many 'ordinary people' too.

!

How many did they kill in this Dallas case?
(edited 8 years ago)
Not sure what OP is on about, the only person killed in this entire thing was the suspect despite the suspect wanting to commit terrorist acts. Conclusion of the story is that an armed response can counter a terrorist, which is what you were saying. Therefore the thread is pretty redundant.

!

No they don't, at least not routinely and not without reason. There are plenty of trigger happy police there but exaggerating doesn't help your argument.

What sometimes happens when they get it wrong....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMxRTWwcWrs

I think his point is that even if you are armed, that doesn't deter an attacker. Clearly evidenced through somebody attacking armed police. It isn't as effective arming somebody as people would like to make it out to be.
What do you think the outcome would have been of him attacking unarmed police?
Only the police have guns in the UK? What?

The most stupid thing I have read all week. Best not tell them about the ones in my gun cabinet then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm incredibly surprised to see you oppose gun ownership.
(edited 8 years ago)
There is no logical about being pro gun control.
They don't believe people shouldn't have guns, they just believe a certain type of people should only be allowed to have them.

If people don't comply guess what? The agents of the state will use guns against the people.

It is ludicrous to suggest the state protects us yet they deny us the right to defend our own property.
everybody should have their own forcefield brah
Reply 13
Only a good person with a gun can stop a nut case with a gun.

Leftist be calm now don't be afraid of a gun just be afraid of what type of person there is behind the gun.

Yet on a macro scale we have much less gun killings. Would rather live here in that respect.

Original post by Bornblue
I'm incredibly surprised to see you oppose gun ownership.

Ye me too lol.

I'm impressed.

Original post by SeaPony
Only a good person with a gun can stop a nut case with a gun.

Leftist be calm now don't be afraid of a gun just be afraid of what type of person there is behind the gun.

I don't think OP would be happy with being called a leftist :rofl:

@billydisco
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
I was talking to others.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yet on a macro scale we have much less gun killings. Would rather live here.

@billydisco

I love living here and our System but America is one of the few other countries I would be happy to settle in if not here. Ideally with our gun control and ownership numbers. But therein lies the problem. With so many millions of guns in circulation how do you get the genie back into the bottle? I'm not sure they ever will.
Reply 17
You can't disarm america it is in the culture just like how Mexico is disarmed and look at the gun crime there. Bad people will always acquire guns so the good people should be able to acquire guns legally to defend themselves if their house is being robbed instead of what most of the people on this forum would do is fall on the floor and urinate on themselves.
Well, clearly this new situation suggests the police should be armed too, then they can defend themselves!

Oh wait...... they are armed...... kinda illustrates the stupidity in that argument!

I don't get your point, they did successfully defend themselves with their firearms, the gunman was shot dead and the officers involved sustained no injuries. Do you honestly believe the outcome have been the same had they been as unarmed and pitifully defenceless as say, a typical school?

Ive gota better idea, nobody except the police have guns! Oh, we have that in the UK already. For once we've achieved something!!

What are you talking about? Give or take, there are only around 7000 armed police officers in the UK and there are around 1 million legal gun owners. The British public vastly "outguns" the police.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending