The Student Room Group

Would the police text me?

My friend is involved in a criminal case at the moment. I got a message today asking if I’d be willing to give a statement related to the situation. I was given a name. This seemed a bit weird to me that I’d be texted by a mobile number. Is this something they actually do?
Original post by Anonymous
My friend is involved in a criminal case at the moment. I got a message today asking if I’d be willing to give a statement related to the situation. I was given a name. This seemed a bit weird to me that I’d be texted by a mobile number. Is this something they actually do?

Never been in this situation however, I would suggest you message back asking for some sort of identification that can then be corroborated by the relevant local authority. Or just find the number online yourself for the local office and confirm your text correspondence is legitimate.
Never been in this situation however, I would suggest you message back asking for some sort of identification that can then be corroborated by the relevant local authority. Or just find the number online yourself for the local office and confirm your text correspondence is legitimate.

Okay thank you! By local do you mean the police office that I think texted me as it’s not an area I live in.
Okay thank you! By local do you mean the police office that I think texted me as it’s not an area I live in.

Yeah if you have an idea of where, find a number for any police office in that area and I presume they would be able to connect your call to the officer who contacted you or just simply confirm that legitimate contact was made.

All the best !
Reply 4
It sounds a bit dodgy. I imagined they’d have to contact you by phone call first to confirm that the number they are sending the message to is the person who the message should be addressed to. I wouldn’t respond to it unless I’ve been spoken to in the phone. It could be anyone?
Original post by Kschu
It sounds a bit dodgy. I imagined they’d have to contact you by phone call first to confirm that the number they are sending the message to is the person who the message should be addressed to. I wouldn’t respond to it unless I’ve been spoken to in the phone. It could be anyone?

Yeah thats what i'm worried about but they had my friends name so idk

Be very very careful. It could be the guy who is at the other end (the criminal) who is sussing out to see who is willing to speak out against them.

I would be highly suspect of any text purportedly coming from the police. If in doubt go to the police and ask them if they sent you a text message. Show it to them in the station. They will be able to tell you.
Reply 7
Yeah thats what i'm worried about but they had my friends name so idk

That’s even more dodgy. They shouldn’t be messaging with a name since i would think it’s confidential unless they are certain of your identity and have confirmed that the message is sent to the right recipient. Be cautious and as above suggested, go to police station.
I swear to god if i got that kind of text i’d be so shook i’d immediately change my number! Can’t be getting creepy texts like that!
Original post by boulderingislife
Be very very careful. It could be the guy who is at the other end (the criminal) who is sussing out to see who is willing to speak out against them.

I would be highly suspect of any text purportedly coming from the police. If in doubt go to the police and ask them if they sent you a text message. Show it to them in the station. They will be able to tell you.

Yeah that is what im worried about. The only problem is that the station is over 3 hours away from me. I will contact them though. I've messaged my friend who has read the message but not responded!
I swear to god if i got that kind of text i’d be so shook i’d immediately change my number! Can’t be getting creepy texts like that!

Ha yeah but if it is from the police then my friend would've given my number so it would be fine. I just want to know who it is
Ha yeah but if it is from the police then my friend would've given my number so it would be fine. I just want to know who it is

The police don’t just text you willy nilly. I think you’re being a bit naive if you think your friend gave your number to the police and they texted you. Good luck either way. Hope you figure out what is going on. Just be street smart and don’t get hurt in any way! Lot of dangerous people out there today. Who knows? Even if it is a cop it could be another wayne couszins!

I would suggest that you contact your local police station and speak to someone there for further information about this matter.

You could always try and phone the mobile number from the text message you received by using a different phone number and see what happens when they answer....??
The police don’t just text you willy nilly. I think you’re being a bit naive if you think your friend gave your number to the police and they texted you. Good luck either way. Hope you figure out what is going on. Just be street smart and don’t get hurt in any way! Lot of dangerous people out there today. Who knows? Even if it is a cop it could be another wayne couszins!

It's a pretty serious case so it wouldnt surprise me if my friend did give them my number (she tends to do stuff like that) tbh! Yeah this is why im being wary
I wouldn't reply. They would contact you in a more professional way.
Maybe someone is seeing whether you're going to give a statement or not...
Reply 15
I wouldn't reply. They would contact you in a more professional way.
Maybe someone is seeing whether you're going to give a statement or not...

My friend said said she did give my details and the police lady said she’d send confirmation/verification/identification (which I will then check) before doing anything else
My friend said said she did give my details and the police lady said she’d send confirmation/verification/identification (which I will then check) before doing anything else

Well if she sends you her identification, then do. But normally they ask you to come into the station no?
Reply 17
Well if she sends you her identification, then do. But normally they ask you to come into the station no?

My mum did a similar statement for her friend and didn't have to go in and just emailed. It's just a statement that my friend told people about the situation before the court case stuff. Besides the station is 3+ hours away from me
My mum did a similar statement for her friend and didn't have to go in and just emailed. It's just a statement that my friend told people about the situation before the court case stuff. Besides the station is 3+ hours away from me

Yeah, they normally ask you to come in to your closest station to give the statement.
Reply 19
Yeah, they normally ask you to come in to your closest station to give the statement.

Yeah. Idk I know that my mum didn’t when she gave a statement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending