The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes this is normal. Read the FAQ thread. Or the big thread of track status questions.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I wouldn't complain. You have been pooled to the best college!!!
Reply 3
I was pooled to Van Mildert too (but from Castle). I only got informed via letter that I had an offer, but not from Castle. x
Reply 4
Castle is really hard to get into, but Van Mildert is a nice friendly college
Reply 5
although we are also friendly!
Reply 6
from the prospectus, Van Mildert looks like an amazing place to stay.

although i did have some thoughts on whether there could be some slight flooding issues due to the proximity of the lake.
Reply 7
Haha I thought that too - from the photos it looks like the accomodation backs *right* up to the lake. Lets hope to get a nice high-up room, reducing flooding possibility. x
If the department takes really long to give (or not to give, haha) you an offer, does that decrease your chances of getting into the college of your choice? Because I applied to Castle in early November, and the Biology department is taking aaages with my application... I'm worried that by the time they're done, there won't be any places left for me in Castle. :frown:
Reply 9
Well I do hate to worry people but... everyone I know who got offers in December (some who applied to Castle/Hatfield) *did* get into the competitive colleges. But others, like me, who got offers end of Jan didn't. They were no better qualified/rounded etc. (in fact in a few cases was the opposite) BUT they got in seemingly because they were accepted early. I got pooled to Van Mildert from Castle and I'm quite thrilled actually.
Anyway upshot is: hopefully they won't have too many already for your subject at Castle and you'll get in. If not - all Durham colleges rock!
Reply 10
Well I got into Castle when I applied and I got my offer around this time of the year.
Reply 11
See? Tis all positive. You still stand a chance. Don't know how popular Biology is but if it's fairly average rather than massively competitive then you stand a chance. Fingers crossed nobody applied to Castle for your course. x
Reply 12
although i did have some thoughts on whether there could be some slight flooding issues due to the proximity of the lake.

The lake doesn't actually have any inflow aside from rainfall (as it's man-made) and hence would only flood if we got about 5 feet of rain.
Reply 13
Each department has a quota of places at each college, so even if biology is the last department to send out its offers it won't affect your chance at getting into a certain college.
Reply 14
i think it depends upon when your subject started (or starts) offering. As i understood it, each college has a quota, e.g. 5 historians at Castle, 6 at Hatfield or something, so if you're the first 5 historians who get accepted and applied to castle, you'll get in to castle. number 6 and u're pooled....
Phew! Thanks so much guys, that takes a huge load off my back. Haha, so Durham is notorious for taking ages with applications eh? Tsk tsk... procrastination (either that, or they have a ridiculously large number of applicants).

Just to go a little off-topic (my apologies to whoever created this thread) but does it snow often in Durham? :redface:
Reply 16
There's snow outside right now! But I wouldn't say it happens often. I thought moving from the south to the north would mean I got some proper snow for the first time in my life, but for the last 2 years there's been really heavy snow back home and barely anything here in Durham!
Reply 17
Enough to make a snowman? :biggrin:
Reply 18
I hope it snows in Durham lots when I'm there... I love snowman making... I've made two in the last two days. It is snowing buckets in good old Coventry! haha. x
Reply 19
I'm afraid not, the first day I couldn't even scrape together a snowball. Now the proper snow clouds are moving up from the south, but they've just turned to really cold rain.

Latest