The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
I wouldn't have thought so. Loads of people at Durham take gap years. On my floor 3 out of 8 of us took gap years.

And I don't think you really notice the difference.

A fellow philosopher I see... well done for the offer! Philosophy is great!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
kissmekate
I'm going to university/castle college in 2008
Has anyone else applied for deferred?
I'm worried i'm gonna feel so much older than all the other freshers!

As the person above says, it's really not that big a deal. I took a gap year and I know PLENTY of other people who did.

But to be fair, you really don't notice the difference! Some people who are a year younger than me seem older than me and people older than me can seem younger! I'm 22 this year (on Monday cough cough!) and most of my friends turn 21 this year, but it's really not a big difference.

In fact, it's a bit better because you turn 21 when most people turn 20, so your birthday is pretty special, unlike the year after when EVERYONE turns 21 and so it's just a big mess of 21st lol :smile:
Reply 3
kissmekate
I'm going to university/castle college in 2008
Has anyone else applied for deferred?
I'm worried i'm gonna feel so much older than all the other freshers!

I'm also applying deferred, haven't seen many on this forum who have though. I'm not to bothered about it, cause I've got stuff lined up for next year.
Reply 4
I've applied deferred: General Engineering at Collingwood.
Yes - I've applied for deferred, still waiting for a decision.

But think I'm going to withdraw from UCAS this year anayway and reapply next year for a different subject (still at Durham though).

Gap years are now very, very popular... even though I'll be celebrating my 20th birthday at the end of my first September at Durham, I think many people will be in a similar position.

As long as your plans are firm and exciting, go for it!
Reply 6
I'm in a gap year and if you want some advice, hear it is... PLAN AHEAD!
Reply 7
i'm doing a gap year scheme, however when i go travelling i'd rather be spontaneous and see where the mood takes me
Reply 8
kissmekate
i'm doing a gap year scheme, however when i go travelling i'd rather be spontaneous and see where the mood takes me

Shame if it takes you somewhere where you can't get home from though...

I'm planning on spending the last month or so interailing around northern Europe/Scandinavia. I've already drawn up several plans, all far too over-ambitious.

Latest