The Student Room Group

Is it possible to ask a uni for deferred entry after you get results

Like on results day once you confirm you have the grades you need , and you’ve applied for same year entry, is it possible to ask the uni to defer to next year? Or does it have to be done before that? I’ve been told by some it’s better to do it before but some people say it’s better to do this after you’ve got your results and confirmed your offer, plus the uni will know how many offers they’ll be making and have a better idea if it’s possible to let you defer. Has anyone done this before? Especially for a course like dentistry or medicine
Original post by M_A564
Like on results day once you confirm you have the grades you need , and you’ve applied for same year entry, is it possible to ask the uni to defer to next year? Or does it have to be done before that? I’ve been told by some it’s better to do it before but some people say it’s better to do this after you’ve got your results and confirmed your offer, plus the uni will know how many offers they’ll be making and have a better idea if it’s possible to let you defer. Has anyone done this before? Especially for a course like dentistry or medicine

Hello @M_A564

My personal take, I would say it's best to defer before results day, as the university will have yet to officially confirm your place. Once they've confirmed your place there will be a process to defer that you may have to go through and there is technicaly no guarantee they will defer you because they would be down one place for that year and have to find a new candidate. Deferring prior to results day provides a better chance of a successful deferrence without the added work needed once your place is officially confirmed.

Hope this helps,
Dom, Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Ok I’ll ask them thank you. I just want to ask, what if the university has already given out deferred offers to other candidates who applied for 2023 entry as there weren’t enough spaces for 2023, so you know they’ll already have candidates as backup anyway? (Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)Hello @M_A564

My personal take, I would say it's best to defer before results day, as the university will have yet to officially confirm your place. Once they've confirmed your place there will be a process to defer that you may have to go through and there is technicaly no guarantee they will defer you because they would be down one place for that year and have to find a new candidate. Deferring prior to results day provides a better chance of a successful deferrence without the added work needed once your place is officially confirmed.

Hope this helps,
Dom, Student Ambassador
Original post by M_A564
Ok I’ll ask them thank you. I just want to ask, what if the university has already given out deferred offers to other candidates who applied for 2023 entry as there weren’t enough spaces for 2023, so you know they’ll already have candidates as backup anyway?

That's not likely. Unis only asked students to defer during covid when they were oversubscribed.
Reply 4
I meant as in that is definitely already the case. My uni has given some 2023 applicants deferred offers.

Original post by normaw
That's not likely. Unis only asked students to defer during covid when they were oversubscribed.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Its always worth asking - you will need to email the Uni so that they have it in writing and so that you dont clog up the Clearing phone lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending