The Student Room Group

Depressed in my situation...

I am feeling really depressed recently because I am 24 years of age, with only 8 years experience in the same role with the same company (in part because of my lack of confidence, and mental health concerns- I didn't change jobs).

I needed an income to just live, and whilst I was at college and uni. Now, I am nearly graduated, with two pieces of work left- however I applied for mitigating circumstances so I will not graduate at normal time but in Jan 2016. Problem is, I am caught in a cycle of uncertainty.

My fiancee is soon to leave and move with her Dad, and has been looking for jobs this past couple days. She has to date 4-5 interviews next week for jobs. She is ecstatic and whilst I am happy for her, I can't help but feel down about my situation, because I am stuck in this situation where I still have uni work to do, and for all the best will in the world, all or most of the jobs I have applied for thus far- I have been unsuccessful.

I have had a few knock backs this year, and it is all impacting and im feeling progressively more depressed.

I want to be able to complete this work, whilst securing some sort of future job near my fiancee so we can start to move in together. But its not happening at my end.

I am frequently feeling empty, and unmotivated at best. I used to be very motivated for my subject and now I am not. I feel that although at times I am lazy, I feel that this is caused hand in hand by depressive illness. I question whether I am actually any 'good' at it, or whether I was/are as good as I've ever thought. Or whether its just my lack of application at times.

What can I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I am feeling really depressed recently because I am 24 years of age, with only 8 years experience in the same role with the same company (in part because of my lack of confidence, and mental health concerns- I didn't change jobs).

I needed an income to just live, and whilst I was at college and uni. Now, I am nearly graduated, with two pieces of work left- however I applied for mitigating circumstances so I will not graduate at normal time but in Jan 2016. Problem is, I am caught in a cycle of uncertainty.

My fiancee is soon to leave and move with her Dad, and has been looking for jobs this past couple days. She has to date 4-5 interviews next week for jobs. She is ecstatic and whilst I am happy for her, I can't help but feel down about my situation, because I am stuck in this situation where I still have uni work to do, and for all the best will in the world, all or most of the jobs I have applied for thus far- I have been unsuccessful.

I have had a few knock backs this year, and it is all impacting and im feeling progressively more depressed.

I want to be able to complete this work, whilst securing some sort of future job near my fiancee so we can start to move in together. But its not happening at my end.

I am frequently feeling empty, and unmotivated at best. I used to be very motivated for my subject and now I am not. I feel that although at times I am lazy, I feel that this is caused hand in hand by depressive illness. I question whether I am actually any 'good' at it, or whether I was/are as good as I've ever thought. Or whether its just my lack of application at times.

What can I do?

Have you considered doing some voluntary stuff or some work experience in the field you are applying for jobs in to beef up your cv a bit?

I know it must be very hard seeing your fiancee get interviews and not get any yourself but you ve just got to keep holding onto to the hope that you will get them and remember you ll be in a better position once you ve graduated. I know you ve had many knockbacks but you ve done well to get this far and just keep going for that last push to finish your degree and just do you best with filling in job applications until then.

Quick Reply

Latest