The Student Room Group

BSc degree in Zoology

Heyyy guys!
Basically, I really love animals and I want to do a degree in Zoology. But I'm not sure about what jobs I can get after gaining my degree.. Also, does anyone know what work experiences I could do before applying for my degree!
Original post by TanFaye
Heyyy guys!
Basically, I really love animals and I want to do a degree in Zoology. But I'm not sure about what jobs I can get after gaining my degree.. Also, does anyone know what work experiences I could do before applying for my degree!

Have you tried looking on the website prospects?
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_zoology.htm
And shouldn't you think about the careers you may want to go into before choosing the degree?
Reply 2
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Have you tried looking on the website prospects?
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_zoology.htm
And shouldn't you think about the careers you may want to go into before choosing the degree?

Yep I have, and I have even been on open days!
Nothing seems to catch my attention. However, they said that there are many other jobs related to the degree!
Well, I want to work with animals, that's all I know to be honest!
Reply 3
Original post by TanFaye
x

For work experience you could volunteer at a wildlife park, the wildlife trust, the national trust, museums, ecological consultancies and anything like that.

Below are areas that a Zoology degree can lead to, but as you do your degree there will be that area that really stands out to you.

Evolutionary biologist
Wildlife biologist
Marine biologist
Ecologist
Ecological surveyor
Conservation
Comparative anatomist
Work with organisations such as the RSPB, wildlife trust, national trust
Lab assistant
Zoologist
Animal keeper
Scientific officer
Environmental scientist
local government and animal charities
Taxonomy
wildlife management
Reply 4
Original post by xlizx
For work experience you could volunteer at a wildlife park, the wildlife trust, the national trust, museums, ecological consultancies and anything like that.

Below are areas that a Zoology degree can lead to, but as you do your degree there will be that area that really stands out to you.

Evolutionary biologist
Wildlife biologist
Marine biologist
Ecologist
Ecological surveyor
Conservation
Comparative anatomist
Work with organisations such as the RSPB, wildlife trust, national trust
Lab assistant
Zoologist
Animal keeper
Scientific officer
Environmental scientist
local government and animal charities
Taxonomy
wildlife management

Aww thank you so much for this useful information. The things is they don't have any wildlife park or anything where I live. My question is do I have to get work experience related in that field or can it be anywhere else like volunteering at the local hospital, care home or something. I don't know how much this is useful but I've got some work experience from an airport.
Reply 5
Original post by TanFaye
Aww thank you so much for this useful information. The things is they don't have any wildlife park or anything where I live. My question is do I have to get work experience related in that field or can it be anywhere else like volunteering at the local hospital, care home or something. I don't know how much this is useful but I've got some work experience from an airport.

No problem :smile:, do you have any nature reserves, farms, or vets even? work experience is not compulsory for Zoology as its an academic Degree, but it does give you something extra to write about in your personal statement, and shows your interest for the subject. I would also recommend reading relevant books.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending