The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
samdavyson
Wow. This had developed into a rather serious debate. Hitchhiker_13: Very wise words. I agree totally.

People seem to claim that religion is needed to show the difference between wrong and right, and what to do and what not, but I think that is human nature, not something force upon people by religion. People say that religion is good, and God works through people on all manner of projects. But when the Salvation Army get people of the streets who is doing the work, God or the people?

couldnt agree more
Reply 101
kriztinae
are u sure they were rude? they are meant to be all nice and stuff..
we get them coming to our front door and preaching... they are always so nice and my mum gets really annoyed by them, u can tell them to f**k off and they will stil say ok sorry to bother you!

true but they are only nice because they r trying to persuade u to believe in what they believe in. I feel bad for turning them away but i dont think they have the right to knock on random peoples doors n preach about something. Its like door to door salesman, ppl get angry wen they knock because they are trying to force sumthing upon them.
if you dont believe in it already, thers not much chance of a passing visit converting you.
Reply 102
It really anoys me when I have any thing pushed down my throat.

In my personal experience the only religeous beliefs I've been forced to listen to (People preaching in the street) were christians. I don't need people comming upto me in the street telling me I need to change, or worse that my disability is because of sin.

I live in Wolverhampton so there is a fair mix of different religeous groups and only the christians anoy me. Only the christians tell me my beliefs are wrong, not that they care to find out what they are first. Only the christians stand in the centre of town and tell me they can save me.
sashh
It really anoys me when I have any thing pushed down my throat.

In my personal experience the only religeous beliefs I've been forced to listen to (People preaching in the street) were christians. I don't need people comming upto me in the street telling me I need to change, or worse that my disability is because of sin.

I live in Wolverhampton so there is a fair mix of different religeous groups and only the christians anoy me. Only the christians tell me my beliefs are wrong, not that they care to find out what they are first. Only the christians stand in the centre of town and tell me they can save me.

What angers me most about that kind of behaviour is that it turns people against Christianity as a whole. It took me a long time to realise that just because most of the christians who live in my area hold extreme beliefs and have no respect for anyone elses doctrine not all christians do. Ultimately this type of religious behaviour can turn other people against the Church to the extent that they themselves become bigots of a kind.
icklehc
true but they are only nice because they r trying to persuade u to believe in what they believe in. I feel bad for turning them away but i dont think they have the right to knock on random peoples doors n preach about something. Its like door to door salesman, ppl get angry wen they knock because they are trying to force sumthing upon them.
if you dont believe in it already, thers not much chance of a passing visit converting you.

i disagree with it totally, and i wouldnt feel bad telling anyone to go away when it came to somthing like that.
the best religion isnt the one that most people believe in,
the best religion is ur relgion, the one you believe in and have faith in.
plus all religion is , is something to have faith in, e.g if u wanna pass ur exams u pray to pass ur exams sometimes, its just different people pray to different gods it shouldnt matter to who
Reply 105
samdavyson
Are Christians Annoying?

Now don't take this the wrong way I don't mean all Christians I mean the minority.

But, near me, Northern England, there is a real epidemic in the number of annoying, young Christians that go prancing around spouting off....

Have you seen any?

I find your comments very offensive!!
I live in Northern England and am a Christian and I have hardly found any "annoying" Christians!

Your comments are unjustified and to be frank total rubbish
Red
I live in Northern England and am a Christian and I have hardly found any "annoying" Christians!

try reading the whole thread before you comment as he realised that was wrong and apologied
samdavyson
Are Christians Annoying?

Now don't take this the wrong way I don't mean all Christians I mean the minority.

But, near me, Northern England, there is a real epidemic in the number of annoying, young Christians that go prancing around spouting off....

Have you seen any?

do you mean the door to door type, like mormans and JWs
Reply 108
wiwarin_mir
do you mean the door to door type, like mormans and JWs

Yes I do.

I am sorry that Red, I think, finds it offensive.
samdavyson
Yes I do.

I am sorry that Red, I think, finds it offensive.

they can be very troublesome, the most satisfying thing to do is to get them talking and then start arguing with them, trying to persuade them their religion is wrong.
The way I see it, if they can try to convert you, it is only fair that you should be able to try and 'convert' them.
Red

Hi, Im a christain, and live in the north

U need to look harder, there a a few out there(not me though!)

:smile:
I have issues with some aspects of Christianity, and some religious people (my ex-best friend told me I deserved to burn in hell for dabbling in the occult) but then the same with all religions. The aim of Christianity is to promote unity and acceptance - its just some of the people in them that screw it up. That's just people, not the religion.

They have the information and their beliefs, and can choose what they want to do with them.
Reply 112
samdavyson
Are Christians Annoying?

Have you seen any?

What i dont understand is how a gay person can be a christian and believe in the bible , when we all know what the bible states about homosexual encounters. I am not homophobic or anything just cant understand this, if i was gay there is no way i would stand next to these bible bashers.
Reply 113
I particularly like to see the look on some of the christian people i meet when i tell them i was never baptised! They try to organise mature baptism's and everything ..........f@cking psycho's
Starsky
What i dont understand is how a gay person can be a christian and believe in the bible , when we all know what the bible states about homosexual encounters. I am not homophobic or anything just cant understand this, if i was gay there is no way i would stand next to these bible bashers.

and what does the bible state? do you what you quote something to back up that rather large generalisation? :rolleyes:
Reply 115
Starsky
I particularly like to see the look on some of the christian people i meet when i tell them i was never baptised! They try to organise mature baptism's and everything ..........f@cking psycho's

Calm, calm.
I think they r very annoying and disagree with all their views but they help people who r in need.
Reply 117
No sorry to say that you can't generalise is not true.

To any given Atheist, such as myself, straight-edge to-the-word Christians are extremely irritating - with no exceptions.
Because of my beliefs and probably a lack of tolerance thrown in, I find their stupidity revolting and the their methods of converting people very offensive.
halc

To any given Atheist, such as myself, straight-edge to-the-word Christians are extremely irritating - with no exceptions.
Because of my beliefs and probably a lack of tolerance thrown in, I find their stupidity revolting and the their methods of converting people very offensive.

then you are no better than they are
Reply 119
halc

what are your beliefs?

Latest

Trending

Trending