The Student Room Group

Sugar tax?

Apparently sugary drinks may lead to over 184,000 global deaths each year. Is it time the government stepped in and did something? Maybe a tax on sugary drinks?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/296035.php

Scroll to see replies

Only drinks or on sugary foods? Where is the line?
Reply 2
What about really sweet people? Should they be taxed?
No thanks had 2 donuts for breakfast.
If sugar is taxed, the food manufacturers will just use more salt or fat in place of the sugar.
No, this, like alcohol duties, unfairly hit those who are responsible.

I don't want to pay twice as much for a Big Mac because there are obese people in this country, it ain't my fault their only movement is to the mcdonalds and back.

Plus, production will just be switched to salt or artificials such as aspartame, sugar taxing is not really a good idea.
I would only be inclined to agree if shops were to be weight-discriminating/profiling and the tax only hit those who looked fat.
Reply 7
I know, personal freedoms are bi*ch, right? People can eat whatever the hell they want.
So tax the sugary goods? That's like taxing metal because cars kill people and cars are made from metal
Seems a bit unfair for people to have to pay more for something because other people can't eat sugar in moderation
Original post by SotonianOne
No, this, like alcohol duties, unfairly hit those who are responsible.

I don't want to pay twice as much for a Big Mac because there are obese people in this country, it ain't my fault their only movement is to the mcdonalds and back.

Plus, production will just be switched to salt or artificials such as aspartame, sugar taxing is not really a good idea.

Forcing producers to switch to artificial sweeteners would be good. Granted, humans are a bit retarded in that if you force them to eat a more healthy option in one place then they go and eat an unhealthy option in another which means that they don't actually benefit from having the healthy option.

But artificial sweeteners themselves are not bad for you in any obvious way, yet the reduced calories would certainly benefit quite a few people.

Still I agree though that such a policy would be silly just because it merely shifts preferences elsewhere and doesn't tackle the underlying problem of the people being motivated to consume such themselves. You then punish others who are healthy and it's just generally not worthwhile.
Reply 11
just tax fat people
Why exactly should responsible people like me have to pay more for food and drink they like just because some other people can't (or won't?) watch their diet?
Tax breaks for stevia?
I am between 9.75 and 10 stone and 5'6. I am a relatively fit male.
I enjoy sugary foods from time to time and I am reasonable/responsible with my diet
WHY, the hell, would somebody want to tax ME for sugar?

if there are fat people and the government wants to send a coercive message that being fat is wrong...
then why doesn't the government just force fat people to exercise/lose weight?!
instead of redistributing the responsibilities from them to me, why not just target the fatties themselves?!
The fact that there is no form of sugar tax on corporations at the moment is a market failure (because there are externalities created which aren't paid for by the corporations creating them).
Original post by TorpidPhil
Forcing producers to switch to artificial sweeteners would be good. Granted, humans are a bit retarded in that if you force them to eat a more healthy option in one place then they go and eat an unhealthy option in another which means that they don't actually benefit from having the healthy option.

But artificial sweeteners themselves are not bad for you in any obvious way, yet the reduced calories would certainly benefit quite a few people.

Still I agree though that such a policy would be silly just because it merely shifts preferences elsewhere and doesn't tackle the underlying problem of the people being motivated to consume such themselves. You then punish others who are healthy and it's just generally not worthwhile.

Whoa who whoa, aspartame, an artificial sweetener, is said to be more deadly than sugar...
I think there are some things the government can do but I think a tax on sugar will just mean people will spend more on sugar because it costs more rather than the other way round. I think they could propose more advertising restrictions for more sugary products and possibly subsidise healthy foods rather than subsidising large sugar companies.

Also more investment in healthy eating campaigns could be good - especially in schools. They should focus on educating kids on how to cook healthy food but also how to do so on a budget and how to do so with limited time. Often people eat some unhealthy, high in added sugar foods because they think it is quicker and cheaper which isn't good. My food education at school was super unhealthy looking back, like making pizza etc.

The government needs to do something because otherwise we could have a huge issue on our hands. To suggest the government should just leave the issue because 'people should diet' is totally mad. If it was that easy everyone would just do it. It won't be good for the economy, it won't be good for the NHS etc. If we don't do something it will only get worse.
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Whoa who whoa, aspartame, an artificial sweetener, is said to be more deadly than sugar...

By who? Total nonsense.
Original post by k4l397
I think there are some things the government can do but I think a tax on sugar will just mean people will spend more on sugar because it costs more rather than the other way round. I think they could propose more advertising restrictions for more sugary products and possibly subsidise healthy foods rather than subsidising large sugar companies.

Also more investment in healthy eating campaigns could be good - especially in schools. They should focus on educating kids on how to cook healthy food but also how to do so on a budget and how to do so with limited time. Often people eat some unhealthy, high in added sugar foods because they think it is quicker and cheaper which isn't good. My food education at school was super unhealthy looking back, like making pizza etc.

The government needs to do something because otherwise we could have a huge issue on our hands. To suggest the government should just leave the issue because 'people should diet' is totally mad. If it was that easy everyone would just do it. It won't be good for the economy, it won't be good for the NHS etc. If we don't do something it will only get worse.

I completely agree, the only thing we were taught in food tech at school was how make; cheese on toast, biscuits, a sandwich and cake. That was literally it.
There was no focus on a healthy diet,the different ways to cook meat and veg or how to combine different ingredients for different flavour and nutritional content. It was pathetic really.

We as a nation need to know how to cook, and how to do so cheaply and at our best convenience. Our parents are no longer teaching us (probably due to the fact both parents are often working now, less time etc) and it is no longer something the average person knows. The average person only seems to know how to follow instructions on a box or make a simple meat and two veg meal.

A sugar tax is not a solution, it's a band aid to a broken leg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending