The Student Room Group

This question

Brody has a jar with 1000 g of sugar in it. Each day, he empties out half of the sugar that is in the jar. At the end of the first day, he is left with 500 g of sugar.

a) How much sugar will be left in the jar at the end of the 5 ^ (th) day? Give your answer in grams

(g).

b) Write a sentence to explain whether or not the jar will ever be empty.
Original post by angela kwarteng
Brody has a jar with 1000 g of sugar in it. Each day, he empties out half of the sugar that is in the jar. At the end of the first day, he is left with 500 g of sugar.

a) How much sugar will be left in the jar at the end of the 5 ^ (th) day? Give your answer in grams

(g).

What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

(g).

It’s quite simple, just keep dividing by half. And for the second one is zero half of something?
So what is the answer
So what is the answer

If you want your answer checked, you really need to post your working.
Original post by KirstinTMH
It’s quite simple, just keep dividing by half. And for the second one is zero half of something?

Please can you tell me the answer

if you divide by half the amount will increase
Original post by the bear
if you divide by half the amount will increase

Typo I meant divide to halve
If this helps, at the end of day 2, there will be 250g of sugar in the jar
Please can you tell me the answer

We are not going to do your homework for you you won't learn anything if you just get told a number!
It's most helpful for us and for you if you tell us what you're thinking, what you've tried so far, and which specific points you are stuck with. And then we'll be able to give you some suitable guidance so that you can get to the answer yourself, and understand much better what to do.
Reply 10
Original post by JamesD1231
If this helps, at the end of day 2, there will be 250g of sugar in the jar

What about on the end of day 5
Reply 11
If something doubled in size every day, could you work out the size on day 5? This is the same except half it every day. No trick question.

but can you tell me the answer

Quick Reply

Latest