The Student Room Group

Am i dyslexic?

This has been on the back of my mind for a while now but i've constantly dismissed it.

Since i was young I've been a slow reader, i constantly skip words and get words jumbled up or combine words together. My eyes hurt sometimes while reading since the white spaces between the letters shift around a lot, furthermore my spelling is horrible, i spell very phonetically and even once I've learnt the word i make silly mistakes with letter placement. I constantly have to repeat the same sentence to fully understand it sometimes and confuse my left and rights when i fully know them. I have trouble with large numbers too, for example when i count zeros i often get it wrong and have to recount several times.

There are more subtle things that i cant think of right now however the main thing that is bugging me right now is reading aloud. I've realized i have a lot of trouble reading to myself and get extremely frustrated. I remember during school i used to dread poetry or literature class since we sometimes had to read aloud from a book and i constantly stutter, mix up words, skip lines etc. I thought it was just nerves but even when reading aloud to myself i make the same mistakes.

I am studying computer science at university and planning to pursue physics in the future. I am a really quick learner when it comes to math, i love algebra, calculus, trigonometry and mechanics. I love physics problems too, however i absolutely hated English language during school (academically wise). I completely sucked at it and had to retake a few times, however what was surprising is i got a decent grade on English literature even though i didn't really plan on passing it. I am also good at history which is also weird for me.

I am 19 now however I've put off talking to a doctor since its always been like this for me, i don't know any better. I'm so used to it so i assumed it was like this for everyone but now im having doubts.
sounds like you should go to the disability department to discuss screening for irlen syndrome and dyslexia :smile:

http://irlen.com/get-tested/
(edited 8 years ago)
are you currently in uni or college? if so i d go see their disability support department, a gp will be useless as they consider dyslexia to be an educational thing i m afraid. If you arent currently in education then your best bet is to privately see an educational psychologist yourself.
It does sound like you have a lot of dyslexia symptoms though, i got diagnosed myself a couple of years ago so if there's any way i can help drop me a message:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thisisme!
sounds like you should go to the disability department to discuss screening for irlen syndrome and dyslexia :smile:

http://irlen.com/get-tested/

Damn... I got 6 "yes" on the first test - should I actually check this out? Even though I do/have the things I said "yes", I don't really have problems reading/learning...
Original post by *Stefan*
Damn... I got 6 "yes" on the first test - should I actually check this out? Even though I do/have the things I said "yes", I don't really have problems reading/learning...

have you had an eye test recently? it could be the yes answers are caused by an eye problem, otherwise maybe you want to get checked out for light sensitivity. There is always the possibilty that you just dont realise that you re a slow reader or something, i didnt know for years

Depends whether it causes you problems or not. People with irlen syndrome find different coloured filters can help them, i just have my computer set up with different background colours / brightness settings etc. I do have coloured glasses but don't wear them any more.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
have you had an eye test recently? it could be the yes answers are caused by an eye problem, otherwise maybe you want to get checked out for light sensitivity. There is always the possibilty that you just dont realise that you re a slow reader or something, i didnt know for years

Yes - my sight has significantly deteriorated unfortunately. However, the problem is for distances (hence I was given glasses for distance), rather than anything in front of me. I'll arrange an eye test again.

Depends whether it causes you problems or not. People with irlen syndrome find different coloured filters can help them, i just have my computer set up with different background colours / brightness settings etc. I do have coloured glasses but don't wear them any more.

I usually learn my material pretty quickly (bar the cases where I procrastinate :P). Is it possible that the irlen syndrome is perhaps not obvious due to good studying technique? I know it sounds silly, but I wanted to know if it's worth looking into it with professional help when I don't feel my learning/reading abilities are hindered.
Yes - my sight has significantly deteriorated unfortunately. However, the problem is for distances (hence I was given glasses for distance), rather than anything in front of me. I'll arrange an eye test again.
I usually learn my material pretty quickly (bar the cases where I procrastinate :P). Is it possible that the irlen syndrome is perhaps not obvious due to good studying technique? I know it sounds silly, but I wanted to know if it's worth looking into it with professional help when I don't feel my learning/reading abilities are hindered.

Could be - you could try different coloured papers or different coloured clear plastic over things if you have any, to see if it helps?

anything can be not so obvious when you ve got good coping mechanisms really but if you were to seek testing/help then at least you know if theres a chance you could be even better or not.
Hey John. I'm dyslexic but I love books so it really doesn't show anymore. If you want to cure your dyslexia then start reading. Now. Something you enjoy. Anything!
Reply 10
Could be - you could try different coloured papers or different coloured clear plastic over things if you have any, to see if it helps?

Original post by claireestelle
anything can be not so obvious when you ve got good coping mechanisms really but if you were to seek testing/help then at least you know if theres a chance you could be even better or not.

Alright guys - thanks a lot for the advice!

I did give it a go with the coloured papers/plastic (the paper folders), but it didn't really do anything, so I'll seek professional help just to be sure.

I have Irlen Syndrome which was recommended I was tested for when we did the screening test for Dyslexia in college.

You may find, like I did, that whilst your reading abilities aren't hindered, (or don't feel it) they will improve so much. I can't tell you how much easier my life has been since being told I have Irlens. The coloured paper / overlays make a huge difference.

Looking at my school work over the years and college work post diagnosis, my handwiriting is so much neater. Reading is so much easier too. If you give me some coloured paper and white paper and ask me to write on both, I can't write in a straight line on the white paper.
Alright guys - thanks a lot for the advice!
I did give it a go with the coloured papers/plastic (the paper folders), but it didn't really do anything, so I'll seek professional help just to be sure.

Does changing the background colour on the irlen website make any difference?

It was uni i was tested for it at, it was a routine screening in my needs assessment.
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student
I have Irlen Syndrome which was recommended I was tested for when we did the screening test for Dyslexia in college.
You may find, like I did, that whilst your reading abilities aren't hindered, (or don't feel it) they will improve so much. I can't tell you how much easier my life has been since being told I have Irlens. The coloured paper / overlays make a huge difference.
Looking at my school work over the years and college work post diagnosis, my handwiriting is so much neater. Reading is so much easier too. If you give me some coloured paper and white paper and ask me to write on both, I can't write in a straight line on the white paper.

Thanks for that! I'll definitely seek professional help.

Does changing the background colour on the irlen website make any difference?
It was uni i was tested for it at, it was a routine screening in my needs assessment.

I gave this a go and the darker colours (purple and blue) make it a lot more relaxing and perhaps easier to focus. The lighter ones, on the other hand. actully tire my eyes out after a bit (that applies to all bright websites though, like TSR).
The colour overlay/glasses theory has been discredited in a recent study...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27588-forget-colour-overlays--dyslexia-is-not-a-vision-problem.html#.VZgr4dm9LCR
You should definitely get assessed by your college/Uni. You appear to have a range of difficulties that are consistent with dyslexia and would be entitled to 25% extra time in exams and even a reader in exams and therefore a separate room for you to sit your exams in if your assessment determines it is necessary. You might also get a little more flexibility on assignment extension requests. It's certainly worth getting assessed. My brother has had this kind of support and has just achieved a 2.1 in Computer Science.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest