The Student Room Group

25 and no GCSEs - starting fresh and studying from home?

Hello!

I'm 25 and currently self employed, running a business online while raising my son. I have no GCSEs, A Levels or anything to my name other than an NVQ in Business Admin Level 2, and I want to start making headway in my education.

I wasn't able to achieve any GCSEs/A Levels for a number of reasons - I was taught at home for a lot of my life and we moved a lot, resulting in a move to Spain and then back again right in the middle of my highschool 'career'. When I returned I was 18 and I went out and did some volunteering before getting myself a full time job where I earned my NVQ, then at 20 got married and have been running my business online ever since. Until now there was just never much time to get anything done.

I'm pretty driven and self-motivated and I want to tackle GCSEs first. I want at least a minimum of English, Maths and a Science under my belt and maybe one or two more. Afterwards I was thinking about going on to do either an Access course and then apply to a Uni. I'm not 100% decided in what degree I want to do yet (I'm toying between Business Management, Computer Science and Psychology).

Ideally I want to do all my learning from home due to my commitments and then travel to do my exams.

Am I right in thinking that I can study the Maths GCSE myself and then take the exams - there's no coursework involved?

I was also under the impression that I'd need to take iGCSEs in English and Science for the same reasons, but it sees the iGCSE in English Language is going to be dropped after next year for a new GCSE? Does anyone know if this can be studied and achieved from home?

Thanks everyone!
Reply 1
I'd advise taking a minimum of 5 GCSEs due to the fact most level 3 courses require 5 GCSEs. GCSE Mathematics doesn't involve coursework, but most of the other courses require coursework such as English, sciences...etc.
Yes, you should do GCSE maths English and science because these are essential and then maybe 2 more.

Don't give up and aim high, it is never too late to learn anything.

People can go ti uni even in their 50s.:smile:
Reply 3
Have you thought of doing an Access Course related to something you might like to study in future (such as Science) and doing a GCSE or two alongside it? Many colleges offer this route for mature students as they might not have the standard GCSEs and universities require at least English and Maths. I know it's not at home but some courses only require you to be in college 2 or 3 days a week. Personally I think gaining a "streamlined" qualification that allows you university entrance is more valuable than a huge, varied workload that would come with 5 GCSEs - and then you'd have to study further to even be considered by a university. So maybe investigate the Access route. Just an idea! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have kept it waiting.. You literally must do English and Maths these 2 are essential if you have the 3 sciences as well you are sorted. It isn't particularly hard in this digital age there's so much resources out there..good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have determination you can do it. Sitting gcse's are possible but you may have to pay to do them(I'm not sure about this). Maths gcse has no coursework but I would also persist in saying that English and sciences are a must. Doing business may be good for your situation as you already run a business, and it would be wise to do business at uni. Maths gcses plus the others I've mentioned can be studied from home.

I wish you the very bestof luck with your future.
Reply 6
GCSEs should be free for OP because they don't have any yet.
Reply 7
Thanks all. Unfortunately due to childcare I'll need to be doing self-study from home, so they need to be distance courses.

I don't mind about paying for the exams.

Good to know that Maths has no coursework and thus I can take it - has anyone heard about the new English GCSE due to start being taught this year yet? Just wondering if it is assessed via coursework or if I could just take the exams to get my qualification - or if I'd be better going for the final year of the English iGCSE?
Reply 8
Original post by whigfield
Thanks all. Unfortunately due to childcare I'll need to be doing self-study from home, so they need to be distance courses.

I don't mind about paying for the exams.

Good to know that Maths has no coursework and thus I can take it - has anyone heard about the new English GCSE due to start being taught this year yet? Just wondering if it is assessed via coursework or if I could just take the exams to get my qualification - or if I'd be better going for the final year of the English iGCSE?

id say do igcse because you can access it from home and you can get many types of gcses out of it try oxford open learning centre via google

Quick Reply

Latest