The Student Room Group

Am I covered for this change? I don't understand how it works

Hello all.

I genuinely don't understand how it works and I'm struggling to find an answer.

I am just about to finish the first year of my Course, but the uni sucks. I want to switch Uni's and go part time (Birkbeck), this would be 4 years at 90 credits a year.

As I thought I understood it, finance is based on length of the course + one gift year.

Does this mean the year I've just done would be counted as the gift year and I would receive full funding for 4 years at £6,935 and 4 years of maintenance loan at the part time rate?

Also what do I need to tell SFE to let them know this change is happening?

I'm so lost.
Hi Ry.Clarke,

Part time funding is a bit different, as you are eligible for up to 16 years of part time funding as you haven't gained a qualification currently. When are you switching to the new part time course?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Ry.Clarke,
Part time funding is a bit different, as you are eligible for up to 16 years of part time funding as you haven't gained a qualification currently. When are you switching to the new part time course?
Thanks, Clare
Hi Clare,

I would be starting from September so the new academic year. I will be gaining the CERT HE from this course since I will have 120 credits and can attain that exit award. Does this change anything?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Ry.Clarke
Hello all.
I genuinely don't understand how it works and I'm struggling to find an answer.
I am just about to finish the first year of my Course, but the uni sucks. I want to switch Uni's and go part time (Birkbeck), this would be 4 years at 90 credits a year.
As I thought I understood it, finance is based on length of the course + one gift year.
Does this mean the year I've just done would be counted as the gift year and I would receive full funding for 4 years at £6,935 and 4 years of maintenance loan at the part time rate?
Also what do I need to tell SFE to let them know this change is happening?
I'm so lost.
Hi Ry,

Yes, we need to be updated if you're leaving your current course. If you ask the university to send us a 'change of circumstance' over to confirm you've withdrawn. Once part time applications go live later in the spring for 24/25 you'll be able to apply for the funding. Your previous study wouldn't be counted if you're doing a part time course (and hold no qualification). So the previous study calculation wouldn't apply to you. Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Ry,
Yes, we need to be updated if you're leaving your current course. If you ask the university to send us a 'change of circumstance' over to confirm you've withdrawn. Once part time applications go live later in the spring for 24/25 you'll be able to apply for the funding. Your previous study wouldn't be counted if you're doing a part time course (and hold no qualification). So the previous study calculation wouldn't apply to you. Thanks, Jason
If I accept the CERT HE exit award, since I have the required 120 credits, does this change anything?

Further to this, since I won’t be leaving until the end of the term, this would be a full completed year. Would I be able to submit the part time application before the withdrawal.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi Ry.Clarke,

As it will be a higher level and you are studying part time, it will not affect your eligibility/entitlement. You can apply for 24/25 when the applications open in the Spring/Summer this can be prior to or after the withdrawal for 23/24 application.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Ry.Clarke,
As it will be a higher level and you are studying part time, it will not affect your eligibility/entitlement. You can apply for 24/25 when the applications open in the Spring/Summer this can be prior to or after the withdrawal for 23/24 application.
Thanks, Clare
Thankyou, One last question. Do I "Reapply" for finance or start a fresh application?
Original post by Ry.Clarke
Thankyou, One last question. Do I "Reapply" for finance or start a fresh application?
Hi there,

You will need to apply as a new part time student once the applications open in the spring time for the 2024/25 academic year.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending