The Student Room Group

At what age did you move out and live alone?

At what age do graduates move out and live alone?
Reply 1
Completely dependent on yourself and the household you live in, really. Some graduates may move out as soon as they begin earning enough to get somewhere, others may stay for quite a while longer because of the support that close family can provide, and due to the stress and complexity of getting onto the property ladder. If you're working, too, some graduates remain at home while contributing to household income (e.g. paying for groceries). I think the average age of moving out in the UK is 25, but that ranges massively.
In short, there's no 'right' answer in my eyes - it's completely dependent on your situation. It's always hard to move out for the first time, so there's no shame in when you do so. Hope that helps! Best of luck :biggrin:.

Looking back I would have preferred 18 but I made a lot of stupid decisions back then
Reply 3
as above there's no right answer but I moved out shortly after turning 27.
Moving out of your family home and living alone are two different matters. Lots of people move out of their family home between the ages of 18-21 - although many live at home for longer, especially from non-WASP cultures. But often they will live in shared housing with friends/colleagues/others (both for social reasons and also practical reasons - that renting is expensive!). Living alone, without flatmates/housemates often comes a little later just as it's often hard to earn enough money to do that off the bat.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
I moved out at 23 to do a teaching internship in China. I lived there for 5 years, then moved back into my mum's. I then moved out again aged 29 to do a master's degree in another city and have lived here since then (34 now).
Original post by Anonymous

Shortly after I turned to 18 and moved to friends in other states of my country. I was fed up with family life.
I've never lived alone

However I moved out of my mother's house four days before my 19th birthday.
Reply 8
asap is the general theme, unless theyre cheap skate :rolleyes: suffice it to say i moved out about 6 months after i finished the UG, until my PG started.
Reply 9
i moved out aged 31
I moved into my first rental apartment at 26 about three months after I signed my first full time teaching contract, then I bought my first property just before Covid-19, I was about 33. Due to various economic factors many graduates are living with their parents and guardians for longer than previously.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
It varies so don't put pressure on yourself.

I think the most important thing to being independent is learning how to do house work (e.g. ask a friend or family how to do the washing machine and hand wash and iron), and how to cook.

You don't have to be a master chef or fancy cook - just enough to get buy healthily.
There are many cook books like Jamie Oliver, free websites (I like BBC good food), and things like Hello Fresh, Gusto (there are many others) that you can do temporarily to get the hang of it as they show you step by step. There's also cooking classes where you might also meet friends.
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic

Looking back I would have preferred 18 but I made a lot of stupid decisions back then

Everyone of us makes bad decision sooner or later, don't sweat it. With 23 years, you are fairly soon with the moving out.
Original post by {Moss}
Completely dependent on yourself and the household you live in, really. Some graduates may move out as soon as they begin earning enough to get somewhere, others may stay for quite a while longer because of the support that close family can provide, and due to the stress and complexity of getting onto the property ladder. If you're working, too, some graduates remain at home while contributing to household income (e.g. paying for groceries). I think the average age of moving out in the UK is 25, but that ranges massively.
In short, there's no 'right' answer in my eyes - it's completely dependent on your situation. It's always hard to move out for the first time, so there's no shame in when you do so. Hope that helps! Best of luck :biggrin:.

Exactly.
I didnt go to uni but i moved out at 28.
I'm a postgraduate and live with my parents. No need to be ashamed of it it's your decision when you move out. Letting other people tell you what to do is the biggest way to unseat yourself from who you really are.
I moved away to university aged 18 and moved out properly (into a house share initially) after I got a job soon after graduating. My parents did help financially when I was at uni though, and have helped me move house etc. even after being fully moved out.

It's much more expensive moving out these days than it was in our parents' age though, so if your parents are OK with you living at home and you are willing to do it and think it will help you save money for your own place in due course, I would do it - I considered moving back home for a year when I was 27 because it would have been very convenient (but it ended up not being necessary in the end).
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous #1

It really depends, but I know several who did a year after they graduated from Uni, but they're usually in relationships and so finding a place is generally easier for them compared to single people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending