The Student Room Group

advice for someone who's dropped out of uni and wants to go back

I dropped out of uni because the course wasn't for me and I wasn't feeling great. I had a good time there but and met good people but ultimately decided on coming home. Wish I gave it longer now but is what it is.
I was wondering If there was anyone that has been back to uni a second time and would share how things went. I had a few questions that I was wondering and if anyone could relate or answer them.
One of the reasons I want to go back is because I'm desperate for a change, my hometown doesn't offer me much and thats one of the reasons I was so excited for uni, is that a good idea to want to go back? of course I am going to study and get the degree, but wanting to go away is so important for me. Its one of the reasons I was so excited the first time round, and then when things settled down after freshers I got homesick and kinda hit me that I was living away. I think the second time round I'll be more committed to studying and living away because I've already experienced it. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen again.
Im planning on going back to the same uni I was at, would anyone thats done this recommend it? I feel it could ruin the experience and as I would see people that I know it would just be strange (including my ex flatmates, who I still talk to and see so it might just make things a little different.
Did you change course? if so was it for better, or did you end up being unhappy and consider coming home again.
And just in general how did things go a second time round?
I do wish I gave the first time longer and I think thats why I have my heart set on going back, I would just love to see if anyone has any advice if they've dropped out and gone back (especially if they've gone back to the same uni, and how the second time was).
Sorry that was so long, just wanted to get it all out, thanks in advance for responses :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I dropped out of uni because the course wasn't for me and I wasn't feeling great. I had a good time there but and met good people but ultimately decided on coming home. Wish I gave it longer now but is what it is.
I was wondering If there was anyone that has been back to uni a second time and would share how things went. I had a few questions that I was wondering and if anyone could relate or answer them.
One of the reasons I want to go back is because I'm desperate for a change, my hometown doesn't offer me much and thats one of the reasons I was so excited for uni, is that a good idea to want to go back? of course I am going to study and get the degree, but wanting to go away is so important for me. Its one of the reasons I was so excited the first time round, and then when things settled down after freshers I got homesick and kinda hit me that I was living away. I think the second time round I'll be more committed to studying and living away because I've already experienced it. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen again.
Im planning on going back to the same uni I was at, would anyone thats done this recommend it? I feel it could ruin the experience and as I would see people that I know it would just be strange (including my ex flatmates, who I still talk to and see so it might just make things a little different.
Did you change course? if so was it for better, or did you end up being unhappy and consider coming home again.
I do wish I gave the first time longer and I think thats why I have my heart set on going back, I would just love to see if anyone has any advice if they've dropped out and gone back (especially if they've gone back to the same uni, and how the second time was).
Sorry that was so long, just wanted to get it all out, thanks in advance for responses :smile:

Hi there!

It's great to hear that you're willing to go back to uni again! Being homesick and leaving because of it is completely understandable, so it's very impressive that you want to give it a second go, you're very brave!

I actually have a little bit of experience with this, but in my case I went to a different uni the second time. When I first went to uni (I didn't move away from home or anything, I lived at home and went to my classes) I actually hated it a lot. I was really unsettled, missed sixth form and my friends (none of them went to my uni), didn't like my course and was sort of 'homesick' in the sense that I really hated being on campus and couldn't wait for my day to end so I could go home.

I took a gap year then came to England to study BA in my degree rather than the BSc I did at the previous uni, and I am thoroughly enjoying my experience. I didn't really feel homesick (it hits sometimes but not the constant feeling I'd had before). I also believed I'd rushed into uni when I wasn't ready for it, so after my gap year I was more mature and mentally more settled, and my previous experienced taught me I didn't enjoy the BSc so I knew I preferred the BA. I was more open and accepting of the fact that I didn't know anyone and wasn't comparing to my sixth form anymore.

For me, going back the second time round was easily the best decision I've made and I'm happy with the different uni and different course. But for you, it depends on the reasons you left. Did you not enjoy your course? Did you not like the uni/campus/people? Do you want a fresh start or want to pickup where you left off? It's important to remember that if you're hoping to pick up where you left off, things may not be the same as you left (the friends/flatmates you left behind may be different people than you remember and if you're expecting to spend loads of time with them since you're going back, they may be more settled with their coursemates/housemates while you would essentially be starting with a new group of people again).

If you are looking for a completely fresh start, I would say choose a different uni. But if you're happy to see some old faces and enjoyed your uni/course and didn't have anything unbearable or unenjoyable, then it doesn't sound like going back to the same uni is a bad idea.

Some advice I can give is to go in with an open mind; chances are everything may be different and chances are everything may be the same. From what you've said, you're happy to be out of your hometown. So it's just a matter of reminding yourself that you prefer your new environment than your old one (even if you don't feel like it now) and remind yourself of the reasons you chose to return. Be flexible with your expectations, even though you've experience living away from home before, the second time can be just as hard and you don't want to think that because it's hard again you'll have to go back home again. Now that you know how you experienced it, do things to help with that (bring decorations or comforting things from home, regularly call your loved ones, arrange visits on the weekends).

Finally, just want to say I believe in you! We all grow and mature mentally (even though we don't realize it) and it's putting ourselves out there that shows that to us. The fact that you're willing to go again and you're aware that it won't be the all positive all-amazing experience you thought already shows that you're more ready this time round. Don't worry if it's hard again, just trust yourself and know that the first time it was hard and you went home and wanted to come back, so now that you've already experience that course of action, time to experience another and stay through it!

I wish you best of luck with whatever decision you make and hope you have a great experience with any choice! If you have any more questions, feel free to post them and I'll be happy to answer them.

Jade :smile:
Official University of Southampton Rep
Reply 2
Awh thank you so much for your response, thats honestly so helpful!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one going through this, at least I'm not alone! I think thats my main issue I just felt so homesick, I was actually the only person from my friendship group at home to go to uni, so seeing them all at home made me feel really homesick too.

I agree with you completely that going the second time round, ill be more settled and mature too, I know what to expect and will feel a lot better. To be honest, I kinda feel like I rushed my choice too. I chose a course that wasn't really that interested in, kinda just went based off my a-levels. I think this time round I've taken the time to choose a course I'll enjoy a lot more and actually be interested in learning about.

I feel like going back is the right choice for me, sometimes I'll think 'I dropped out the first time because I wasn't committed to studying, is the same gonna happen again?'. The main two reasons I dropped out was because I didn't like the Course and I felt homesick. If I can sort those out the second time I'll feel a lot better. The uni, location and campus were all great, I honestly loved it there and its much better than my hometown. I'm in a sticky situation where im kinda in the middle between fresh start and picking up where I left off. I have the option of staying with my old flatmates. I still talk to them and they've even offered me to stay in their house next year, but I feel like its part of the experience staying in halls. I just hope I get the full experience if I go back. I think staying with first years is kinda sensible, It means I won't be isolated come my last year because my flatmates from this year wouldve finished uni, but staying with first years would mean we are in the same year. But at the same time I still talk to them all, I've been down to visit twice (which tbh I don't think did me well, it just made me miss it more and wanna stay) and honestly felt like I never left. At least if for whatever reason I don't get on with my new flatmates at least I have my flatmates from this year too to kinda fall back on. It is difficult because the idea of a complete fresh start doesn't sound awful, it basically removes the entire situation of what I just said.

I defo wanna go into things with an open mind this time, I keep comparing what my second time will be like and thinking 'theres no way it'll be as good as the first time' but for all I know it could be even better! I just need to remind myself that I'm happy to be away and made the right decision. Just need to remember that home is only a train ride away and I can go back whenever I feel.

I feel like I've made a huge step and just need to hope all things work out now, this has definitely helped me mature, and made me realise that going back to uni is the right choice for me. I defo think I'll be more confident to stick it out because I know its what I want.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond, its really helped settle me I feel much better. :smile:
Awh thank you so much for your response, thats honestly so helpful!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one going through this, at least I'm not alone! I think thats my main issue I just felt so homesick, I was actually the only person from my friendship group at home to go to uni, so seeing them all at home made me feel really homesick too.

I agree with you completely that going the second time round, ill be more settled and mature too, I know what to expect and will feel a lot better. To be honest, I kinda feel like I rushed my choice too. I chose a course that wasn't really that interested in, kinda just went based off my a-levels. I think this time round I've taken the time to choose a course I'll enjoy a lot more and actually be interested in learning about.

I feel like going back is the right choice for me, sometimes I'll think 'I dropped out the first time because I wasn't committed to studying, is the same gonna happen again?'. The main two reasons I dropped out was because I didn't like the Course and I felt homesick. If I can sort those out the second time I'll feel a lot better. The uni, location and campus were all great, I honestly loved it there and its much better than my hometown. I'm in a sticky situation where im kinda in the middle between fresh start and picking up where I left off. I have the option of staying with my old flatmates. I still talk to them and they've even offered me to stay in their house next year, but I feel like its part of the experience staying in halls. I just hope I get the full experience if I go back. I think staying with first years is kinda sensible, It means I won't be isolated come my last year because my flatmates from this year wouldve finished uni, but staying with first years would mean we are in the same year. But at the same time I still talk to them all, I've been down to visit twice (which tbh I don't think did me well, it just made me miss it more and wanna stay) and honestly felt like I never left. At least if for whatever reason I don't get on with my new flatmates at least I have my flatmates from this year too to kinda fall back on. It is difficult because the idea of a complete fresh start doesn't sound awful, it basically removes the entire situation of what I just said.

I defo wanna go into things with an open mind this time, I keep comparing what my second time will be like and thinking 'theres no way it'll be as good as the first time' but for all I know it could be even better! I just need to remind myself that I'm happy to be away and made the right decision. Just need to remember that home is only a train ride away and I can go back whenever I feel.

I feel like I've made a huge step and just need to hope all things work out now, this has definitely helped me mature, and made me realise that going back to uni is the right choice for me. I defo think I'll be more confident to stick it out because I know its what I want.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond, its really helped settle me I feel much better. :smile:

It's so great to hear that! I'm glad I was able to help :smile:

You're completely right with reminding yourself home is always there and that your second time might be even better than the first! So great to hear and I'm proud of you!

A fresh start might also be great, just reminding you that it is a brave thing to do so don't feel scared or worried if you're nervous, it just means you're being brave! And besides, with your determination to have an open mind this time, I think that whatever decision you make you'll make it be amazing for you.

Good luck with everything and have fun on this big new adventure!

Jade :smile:
University of Southampton Rep
Hope this perspective helps too. 2016 I dropped out during the second semester at a crappy uni that was just awful all round, the course had a high drop out rate and I'm not surprised with some of the content. Where I lived was dreadful and the people just weren't on my wavelength at all (rugby steroid infused morons that drank frosty jacks snorting god knows what most nights...I'll let you paint the rest of the picture) also bad accommodation, I just hated it full stop and hadn't made any friends. Moved back to my dead end hometown. Worked some miserable retail and service sector jobs. Drank myself to oblivion and got caught up in drugs along the way, would show up to said crappy jobs hungover and miserable. Eventually thought, nope, had enough of this death bound roundabout, time to get my act together.

Two years on, quit my service job (wetherspoons in case you wondered) on the spot and headed back to a far better uni and doing something I truly loved. Two of those three years were an utter joy (third year sucked due to all teaching being online because of covid) I studied abroad in America for my second year, I made a really good decent friend for life who I still speak to and play online games with despite being 7000 miles away. More on that, after uni I graduated with a 2:1 and moved 7000 miles away to a non English speaking country working a job not related to my field but I love my life far more than I did back in 2016. Own modern apartment, clean living, okish paying casual 9-6 job monday to friday, good work colleagues, saving money, making friends, trying new things, met the love of my life (I hope). I'm just so glad I went back to uni because this has been the end result. I'm out of that dead end town and I'm so damn happy to be on my life now and in a new city far away! I hope this helps you OP, you can do this, keep hope and remember there's always time on your side so long as you're determined enough!

Hi :smile:

You've had lots of great responses but I thought I'd also weigh in on my own personal experience.

I started off studying at one university and didn't last very long. The city was too small, I didn't like my course and I just didn't feel right. Rather than dropping out, I transferred over (so slightly different to your situation) to Liverpool Hope. I went from studying a single degree to a combined honors degree which i was much happier with. Honestly, there is no better feeling than knowing you've made the right decision for you and I knew as soon as I started my new course in a new place that I'd be okay.

I'm so glad I decided to make a difficult decision that was right for me. I made friends, pushed myself and had hundreds of new experiences. Sometimes a place or a course isn't the right one for you and as you can tell from the stories on this thread, dropping out and starting over can be the best thing. In terms of restarting in the same place, maybe consider why you didn't like it the first time and be absolutely sure that it wasn't the university that you disliked. Being back in a place where you didn't excel can be a bit difficult so make sure you don't have any negative feelings that may lead you to want to leave again. Personally, I would advise going to a different university for a full clean slate however, I'm sure people have also returned to a university they left and have thrived.

Good luck with your decision! If you have any more questions, let me know!

Laura :rave:
Reply 6

Hey, I would actually like to ask a question regarding going back. Did you apply for student finance; if so how did it work out? I dropped out of uni last year after my 1st year and now I'm thinking about going back to study a different course and I'm not sure how that will work out for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending