The Student Room Group

What is good about Government and Politics A-Level?

Debating whether to pick it as an alevel
Understanding how the systems of government works is crucial to understanding how the country works and how industry is affected by government.

What is your career plans?
Reply 2
Using TSR's typical mentality:

Easy to get an A* in.
Reply 3
Original post by studentjjs

Is awesome.

You get to talk about current events with people who actually have knowledge of the topic.
Reply 4
I would take at least one minimum, advise you to take two "facilitating subjects", I think history along with government and politics would be a deadly combination! it sounds very interesting either way but not too difficult probably, hence why it is not on the facilitating subjects list.

Facilit8ing subjects:

Physics, CHem, Bio, Maths, History, English, French, Latin, German (other classical and modern languages), Further maths.

"Good" subjects but not deemed challenging enough by unis to be in that list:
Economics, law, Philosophy, Religious studies.

Lowest of the low(absolute scum):

Business studies, accounting, Home economics, maths studies. etc

It depends on what course you want. Im not sure where government and politics fall under this list.

Google facilitating subjects.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, the op needs to make informed choices and they need the truth, even if harsh.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Furios
I would take at least one minimum, advise you to take two "facilitating subjects", I think history along with government and politics would be a deadly combination! it sounds very interesting either way but not too difficult probably, hence why it is not on the facilitating subjects list.

Facilit8ing subjects:

Physics, CHem, Bio, Maths, History, English, French, Latin, German (other classical and modern languages), Further maths.

It depends on what course you want. Im not sure where government and politics fall under this list.

I hope I didn't offend anyone, the op needs to make informed choices and they need the truth, even if harsh.

What would you say about: English lit, Geography, psychology, and G+P?
Reply 6
What would you say about: English lit, Geography, psychology, and G+P?

I would say its a good combination except for geography, while I am not the best person to tell you this, so do consult everyone else..

what do you want to study in uni? any idea? its important I know.
Original post by Furios
I would say its a good combination except for geography, while I am not the best person to tell you this, so do consult everyone else..

what do you want to study in uni? any idea? its important I know.

I'm considering to do law maybe:smile:
I loved government and politics A level - it was so interesting that I took it for university (well, politics BA) after getting an A* so yeah, that's my two cents.
Reply 9

You will learn more about political issues and political institutions I would say.
I think it will sound good in your biography as a subject to have studied.
If you are interested in Politics generally, then by all means go for it.
I am into Politics myself, though I was suggested for another reason to take this subject at A Levels, and later on I did. I would not say it is the most difficult of subjects.
But ultimately it is up to you to pick your choice of course. Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by Furios

Facilit8ing subjects:

Highly disagree with some of what you said
I chose Government and Politics this year. I absolutely hated it!! will 100% not be carrying it on to A2.
Although a few of my friends have done it and loved it.
It does help to go into the year having prior knowledge of current affairs and the topics you will be studying.
Original post by Furios

Facilit8ing subjects:

I am offended.
If you were going to apply to Oxford for economics and management, I think they will side with a candidate with an A* in accounting over an A* in further maths.

[video="youtube;Gbn_9-BwrVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbn_9-BwrVQ[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest