The Student Room Group

Should I stay or should I go?

So I'm going into second year of uni, been offered to go on the erasmus exchange but I suffer from pretty bad depression and am just scared what will happen when I'm out there.

I moved out to university when I was younger but I had to drop out and reapply because my depression got so bad when I was living on my own I just couldn't function. Since I started the new university course I've been living at home and studying which has been more easy for me. My depression is still pretty bad but as time has gone by I have grown in some ways and made my life better but am still prone to huge bouts of depression, being lethargic, not being able to cope with life, being lethargic. And the bottom line is I don't really want to go, I'm really scared to go to this new place and I'd rather just stay at home.

But everyone keeps saying what a great opportunity this is and at the end of the day I used to want to do it, or I wouldn't have applied to do it. It seemed exciting at one point but right now all I feel is fear. I don't know whether to go or not and finding any accomodation is a REAL struggle this late, and that's really been dampening my mood. I kind of can't cope with looking for houses when I feel so depressed and anxious. Any advice please?
Reply 1
You seem to be really worried about it reading your post back. Is there anyone you could talk to in your university about your worries about the erasmus? Also have you spoken to your family?

At the end of the day, you need to make the final decision so if you're feeling this stressed about it now - do you think your levels of worry will lessen at all? Of course you could really enjoy it whilst you're there but with you saying that you felt it was best for you to be studying at home, with some familiarity - maybe you should stick with that comfort for the moment.

You don't want to put your education at risk and if you stay focused and do well with whatever you're studying now, there will be plenty of opportunities to visit abroad later on in your life, perhaps when you feel like you're more prepared.

With that being said, in terms of accommodation and other things you mentioned, your uni should have a really good idea on how that all works. Therefore, I'd encourage you to chat with someone about it and decide for yourself whether you'd feel comfortable with whatever is on offer. Like I said though, there will be plenty of other opportunities later on so don't feel this is something you have to seriously consider - your wellbeing and making sure you're feeling safe/supported during your education is much more important right now.

Good luck with everything! I'm sure it will all work out with whatever you choose :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest