The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2016 Entry A100

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TheBadgerOfDeath
Outstanding score! Good luck with it, I hope you get an interview.

Thanks, me too!

Original post by TheBadgerOfDeath
With regards to QR, any tips for improving speed?

Practice, lots of it. Just nail your mental maths, I practices zooming through GCSE papers as fast as possible whilst still aiming for 100%.
Original post by HCAssistant93
Hahaha! Thanks for this. Tbh I'm a graduate so I wanted 700+ but I had 5 years as an option so I'm not too upset.
For AR I'd practice as many as you can and get used to looking for certain patterns with certain shapes. I was usually very good at AR in mocks, especially Kaplan mocks I was scoring 700-770. But the patterns on the day wasn't as obvious at all and there was a lot of distractors shapes and the simplest box wasn't simple! I got 690 in it, wish I'd got higher but I wasn't lucky with my patterns.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for the help, it's greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by goony
Hi guys. Just thought i'd pop on and say I'm at Newcastle and will be starting second year next month. If anyone has any questions about life here etc let me know! Happy to help

Hi there

These are my stats:

I have got 6A* and 6A in GCSE's
5A's in AS level
Predicted could be A*A*A in order in Biology,Maths and Chem (also A* in Further Maths)
UKCAT : 730, SJT Band2
Do you think my stats is Okay to apply to NewCastle(specifically my UKCAT).Also what A level results are they looking for?

Many thanks
Hi, potentially applying to Newcastle for 2016 entry!
My stats:
GCSEs- 11A*s 1B (B in food technology)
AS- AAAA
UKCAT- Total: 3200 (average: 800)

So can I confirm that being above the UKCAT cutoff gets you an interview?
Original post by thechemistress
Hi, potentially applying to Newcastle for 2016 entry!
My stats:
GCSEs- 11A*s 1B (B in food technology)
AS- AAAA
UKCAT- Total: 3200 (average: 800)

So can I confirm that being above the UKCAT cutoff gets you an interview?

800!? Are you mad Hun! That'll be over anywhere and for Newcastle 100% yes. Seriously guys for undergrad 700+ will 100% get you an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by nomita
Hi there

These are my stats:

I have got 6A* and 6A in GCSE's
5A's in AS level
Predicted could be A*A*A in order in Biology,Maths and Chem (also A* in Further Maths)
UKCAT : 730, SJT Band2
Do you think my stats is Okay to apply to NewCastle(specifically my UKCAT).Also what A level results are they looking for?

Many thanks

Hey I'm pretty sure they would be fine very similar to my grades. Don't worry about A-levels 3As they want so concentrate on get them rather than worry about A*. After you have an interview academics are not given ANY weighting it is a level playing field and offers are given on interview performance
Reply 26
Original post by goony
Hey I'm pretty sure they would be fine very similar to my grades. Don't worry about A-levels 3As they want so concentrate on get them rather than worry about A*. After you have an interview academics are not given ANY weighting it is a level playing field and offers are given on interview performance

Thanks very much
Is applying with a score of 702.5 (band 1) risking it?
Reply 28
Original post by mariapops
Is applying with a score of 702.5 (band 1) risking it?

I might, I don't think its such a risk. It's been above every past cutoff apart from 2014 which was the year everyone scored insanely high. Should be fairly safe.
Original post by liam__
I might, I don't think its such a risk. It's been above every past cutoff apart from 2014 which was the year everyone scored insanely high. Should be fairly safe.

Thanks! I'm not sure if I should put it as my fourth but I might go for Plymouth instead
Original post by HCAssistant93
800!? Are you mad Hun! That'll be over anywhere and for Newcastle 100% yes. Seriously guys for undergrad 700+ will 100% get you an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, great. But don't they look at other things such as PS/work experience/GCSEs etc?
Reply 31
Ah, great. But don't they look at other things such as PS/work experience/GCSEs etc?

Nope they solely give interviews on UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by goony

Hi
In 2014 the cut off was about 745 I think, should I be concerned because of that??

How about PS/Work exp/GCSE's ??

Thanks very much
Original post by liam__
Nope they solely give interviews on UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Greatttt :biggrin: I might as well apply to Newcastle then :biggrin:
Reply 34

As long as you're above the minimum requirements they don't care. They have no affect on post interview decision. i.e a poor interview will not be made up by stellar GCSE's

Also do apply to Newcastle as to quote one of my favourite tigers, it's great :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Anybody like to make an educational guess for the cutoff this year for the interview?
Reply 36
Original post by Timewilltellu
Anybody like to make an educational guess for the cutoff this year for the interview?

Wild guess; 660-680. That's what it was around before the craziness of the past 2 years.
Original post by liam__
Wild guess; 660-680. That's what it was around before the craziness of the past 2 years.

My guess, 695 as the same as 3 years ago! (It looks like the mean of this year would match with 3 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Timewilltellu
My guess, 695 as the same as 3 years ago! (It looks like the mean of this year would match with 3 years ago)

Only timewilltell :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by nomita
Hi
In 2014 the cut off was about 745 I think, should I be concerned because of that??

Thanks very much

Since my UKCAT score is 2920 Band 2 (which is lower than) 2014 cutoff of 2980; it makes me feel that it could be a slight risk to get an interview. What would you feel about it?. Am I safe to get an interview or am I risking a precious place?What would you advise me

Do you guys have an idea the on the trends of UKCAT scores from the figures in the thread? It rose from 2011 to 2014(It peaked) then came down and is rising again.

Do you think it just reflects the performance of candidates or is there any standardisation on UKCAT scores that led to it?(the reason it peaked in 2014) and then dropped))

Do we think that cutoff this year could be like 2980 (like in 2014)or more?? What do you think the cut off could be this year??

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending