The Student Room Group

Really scared to take Prozac

Hi guys,
I've recently been prescribed with Prozac/fluoxetine.
I'm a weight restored anorexic and I really am scared of gaining more weight especially if I can't control it. I've been on it for a week and gained 1 pound whilst restricting. I'm really scared because I've read lots of articles about people gaining uncontrollably... What are your experiences on Prozac . Do u think I can control my weight on it ?
Thanks
you do not need medication. Instead you need a clear mind ready to analyse the factors contributing to anorexia (especially the thought patterns), and how they can be changed to make you more in control of your weight
Don't worry, you'll be able to control your weight for sure. I just looked it up on the NHS website and there's not even one mention of weight gain! Just remember to stick to the exact course your doctor prescribed you and eat a balanced diet of fruits, veggies, protein (from meat/fish/soy beans) and a bit of fat (don't worry, it's essential for the body). And don't be afraid to discuss any issues or questions with your family or your doctor. A healthy mind is just as important as a healthy body.
Original post by shawn_o1
you do not need medication. Instead you need a clear mind ready to analyse the factors contributing to anorexia (especially the thought patterns), and how they can be changed to make you more in control of your weight

I really disagree, both me (for anxiety ) and my sister (for anorexia) have been able to make very fast recovery with the help of anti depressants. We have had counselling too which was wonderful but I know for a fact (from recently trying to come off anti D's) that I wouldn't be where I am now without them
I have not had any experience of weight gain with floxoitine, it is mainly the very strong anti psychotic drugs which have any real impact. I really wouldn't worry about it as if you find yourself gaining out of control then you can talk to your doctor about finding a more suitable medication
Original post by Hevachan
I really disagree, both me (for anxiety ) and my sister (for anorexia) have been able to make very fast recovery with the help of anti depressants. We have had counselling too which was wonderful but I know for a fact (from recently trying to come off anti D's) that I wouldn't be where I am now without them

Sorry a bit of an evasive question but what happened when you tried to come off the medication?
Original post by Little Popcorns
Sorry a bit of an evasive question but what happened when you tried to come off the medication?

Its okay :smile: well I have been on 100mg of sertraline for a year, in that time my anxiety has been under control, I've got the best grades of my life at uni and no problems.. I came off the anti D's because I was doing so well and in two weeks I had two panic attacks, thoughts of harming myself and felt physically and emotionally ill! my doctor says that perhaps I'll always be on medication which at first I found hard to think about but now I've accepted it I'm happy :smile:
Its okay :smile: well I have been on 100mg of sertraline for a year, in that time my anxiety has been under control, I've got the best grades of my life at uni and no problems.. I came off the anti D's because I was doing so well and in two weeks I had two panic attacks, thoughts of harming myself and felt physically and emotionally ill! my doctor says that perhaps I'll always be on medication which at first I found hard to think about but now I've accepted it I'm happy :smile:
Aw sorry to hear that. Do you mean your doctor said perhaps you'll always need to be on it?
Original post by Little Popcorns
Aw sorry to hear that. Do you mean your doctor said perhaps you'll always need to be on it?

Its okay, I'm happy that I have a solution to my anxiety and will be able to live my life. Yeah that's what I mean :smile:
Its okay, I'm happy that I have a solution to my anxiety and will be able to live my life. Yeah that's what I mean :smile:

That's good :smile: glad you found what works for you.
It affects everyone differently. I lost weight on it but I know most people don't notice any change. I think I only lost weight because it made me not hungry. It's rare that this thing will make you gain weight, and if it does you can request to stop taking it and try something else because that's your right.
The reason that some people put on weight with antidepressants, isn't always a direct result of the drug. It can be that depression often presents with decreased appetite and when a person's depression lifts their appetite returns and this can lead to weight gain.

From what I've read, prozac isn't renowned for weight gain, if you were on remeron you'd have far more reason to worry.

Quick Reply

Latest