The Student Room Group

Court Punishments need to be more Severe

I was looking at the court section of the newspaper today and there were several people ages about 19-22 who got a fine of £100, £35 court costs, and 6 points on licence for driving without Insurance and driving without a MOT.

This is almost an encouragement not to insure your vehicle, as it can be more than 10 times the cost to insure vehicles at the age of 20. Shouldn't the punishment be to pay twice the cost of the insurance?

Also with drink driving a few hundred pounds, loss of licence for a few months, the punishment clearly states, £5000 fine, 5 years imprisonment. So why are they tamed to such a level that it's almost worth the risk?

What are you views?
which paper was this?
6 points is more expensive than it looks as your insurance is going to go up as well
Reply 2
Speciez99
which paper was this?
6 points is more expensive than it looks as your insurance is going to go up as well

It was in the local newspaper called "Taunton Times".
Reply 3
In terms of driving offences I think the punishments should be more sever. In general thought when looking at minor offences like shop lifting and buglary I think the sentencing is two harsh. I also think it is apalling how lightly some people who cause death by dangerous driving get off.
Reply 4
Speciez99
which paper was this?

But if they're not bothered about getting insurance that won't matter...
randdom
In terms of driving offences I think the punishments should be more sever. In general thought when looking at minor offences like shop lifting and buglary I think the sentencing is two harsh. I also think it is apalling how lightly some people who cause death by dangerous driving get off.

Agreed. About the causing death by dangerous driving bit, I heard that many jurors were failing to convict defendants who killed as a motorist because of the 'gravity' of the offence - i.e. manslaughter (often). So that's why the alternative came into play. They should just bump up the sentence (maximum sentence of life) and that causing death by dangerous driving should be treated the same as homocide in all respects.
Reply 6
NDGAARONDI
Agreed. About the causing death by dangerous driving bit, I heard that many jurors were failing to convict defendants who killed as a motorist because of the 'gravity' of the offence - i.e. manslaughter (often). So that's why the alternative came into play. They should just bump up the sentence (maximum sentence of life) and that causing death by dangerous driving should be treated the same as homocide in all respects.

Life sentence, Shhu seems a tad harsh.
Well a life has been lost, doesn't matter by which method. And I did say maximum, not mandatory.

Latest

Trending

Trending